“Nice hotel close to airport”
Review of Homeland Hotel

Homeland Hotel
Ranked #160 of 2,704 Hotels in Chengdu
Zlin, Czech Republic
“Nice hotel close to airport”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We have only very good experiences. We must stay in Chengdu only for overnighting between flights.
The staff also helped us with our programme for rest of the day. The room was nice and big, really
very clean. Breakfast chinese and continental (up to chinese possibilities). We had no problems with
deposit in credit card. But I know that in China is sometime a big problem...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JARMILA V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 2, 2012

i wish to alert to traveller to who intend to stay at Chengdu Homeland International Hotel. I stayed in this hotel in January and few months later i realized that they actually charged my credit which i used as deposit but subsequently settled with cash when i checked out. i do not check my credit card statement that often as i travel too frequenly and has too many items on the bills. i guess i will have to be extra careful with china hotels especially those not belonging to international chain. i too had the same bad experience as rboelen1!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ronnnie78
Waratah Bay
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Hotel is convenient for overnighting between flights. I have stayed on 7 different occasions but last time I checked out at 5:30 am after arriving at 12:30 am and did not request return of my room deposit slip for CNY2000. This was then charged to my credit card on top the overnight charge of about CNY1200. Homeland ignored any emails from me requesting refund and I'm still waiting on my bank to have the disputed amount refunded.

Room Tip: Local guest clientele can be very noisy.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank rboelen1
Orinda, California
Reviewed April 29, 2012

If you are looking for a hotel near the airport, the Homeland Hotel is great.

Our flight into Chengdu was so delayed that we arrived at the airport at 3:30 in the morning. The ride to the hotel was no more than ten minutes. Though they were not expecting us (per the folks that had booked and paid for our room) till the next day, check-in was no problem.

We were pleasantly surprised by two things: the quality of the customer service and of our included breakfast.

When we checked in, we mentioned to David, one of the front desk people, that we needed a local SIM card for our phone, but were leaving later that morning for a side-trip to Jiuzhaigou before coming back to the hotel a day later. We wouldn't have time to go out and buy a card ourselves. As soon as the stores opened, he went out to buy us a SIM card and since he was no longer on duty when we were ready to depart, he gave it to another staffer to bring it to our room, install it in our phone and show us how to make local calls. We simply reimbursed the cost of the prepaid SIM card. That was really above and beyond our expectations and we filled out a comment card just for that! In addition, we got snowed in during our side trip and were unable to make it back to the hotel for a planned reception and dinner the next night. We called Demi, the Guest Relations Manager, and she looked all over the hotel to track down the folks we needed to notify.

We were also pleasantly surprised by the quality and quantify of the breakfast buffet--much larger than any of the other hotels we stayed at on our two week trip to China with not only made-to-order omelets, but made-to-order dumplings and noodles too.

Given these pleasant surprises, the only reason I did not rate our stay five stars is because we thought our guest room was a bit hot, something we found to be common in China. We were apparently in-between seasons, and the air conditioning had not yet been turned on. According to a hotel we stayed at in Beijing, the government can dictate when the hotels are allowed to turn on the air conditioning. The staff suggested that they change our bedding from the winter to the summer bedding, but if they did, we didn't notice.

As in any other city, if you take a taxi the very short distance from the airport to the hotel, the driver will not be happy. We had one complain that he had waited over an hour at the airport only to get a ten minute fare. I think there is a good chance they may ask for an extra payment. Ours certainly did. If you don't need to be near the airport, you might be better served choosing a hotel closer to the center of town. It generally took us 45 minutes in commute traffic to get across town to Sichuan University. BTW, be sure to fasten your seat belts if you can find the buckle--we discovered when taking taxis in Chengdu that red lights and highway dividers seem to be for general guidance only. They are routinely ignored. Fortunately, our group used a private mini-bus most of the time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank castriker888
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2012

The Homeland Hotel is on a grand scale with elegant marble clad public spaces, nicely furnished rooms with fresh silk and linen bedding in our room, we stayed in a suite on the top floor with its own two person sauna, very good food (and wine - French and Italian decent bottles, though you will pay more than North America for these) across a range of domestic and national cuisines served in the hotel restaurants. Excellent lobby staff and room service meant that we felt connected and supported throughout my stay. I and my wife are from Edinburgh and fulfilling a lifelong shared desire to visit the Panda Breeding Research Base. Following the arrival at Edinburgh Zoo of Yang Guang and Tian Tian - the city's two Giant Pandas - we just had to see their home environment and meet their relatives! Great trip, we were off the plane swiftly and smoothly to the hotel and not too far from a day with the Pandas in bamboo heaven!! Also visited Mount Qincheng, the poet Du Fu's cottage and Wushou Shrine, Chengdu is very welcoming and charming and Homeland is big and secure with the type of attentive quality service to make you feel cossetted. Shame there isn't a direct flight to Chengdu from London/Edinburgh. Back again soon to explore more.

Room Tip: Book a suite with its own sauna.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Max W
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 7, 2011

The bets choice for an airport hotel in Chengdu where the seminar my colleagues and I were to participate was held. Takes about less than 20mins from Shuang Liu International Airport by taxi and easy to locate. Only thing is the local cabdrivers are ok picking you up from the hotel to go anywhere you want but won't necessarily want to charge you by the meter when returning back from the city because of the distance.

Rooms were nice but didn't have the best room service nor english speaking staff. The water was also not hot enough but the rest was great for an airport hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are quieter
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Essa T
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 23, 2011

As a native New Yorker consultant psychiatrist (in her 60s!) who now spends three months each year traveling I hold appropriately high expectations of service. This was my second time in Chengdu on business and the first at the Homeland Hotel having stayed previously at the Sheraton, my international hotelier of choice. I must say I was very pleased from the moment of my arrival with the level of professionalism and courtesy shown by all levels of staff who were well trained. The hotel amenities are international 4/5 star and the cuisine is worthy of comment: a delight. I do not usually trouble to write reviews, this is my first, but I can comfortably recommend this hotel as on a par with the Sheraton for standards of service quality and security.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business