“Unfriendly Staff, Unsolicited "Service"”

Sunjoy Inn (Xinzu Binguan)
Sunjoy Inn (Xinzu Binguan)
Ranked #964 of 2,754 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The staff seem to have grown increasingly hostile, a bit disconcerting for the hospitality industry. The rooms are a bit cramped, though about average for this area and don't feel particularly clean...especially the over-worn carpets and upholstery. Management has repeatedly ignored complaints of prostitutes drumming up business by making late calls to see if the guest would like a "massage" or are "in need of a friend," leading some to believe that the business is mutually beneficial for the hotel. Although the location is undeniably excellent considering its proximity to the US Embassy, the subway station, and my favorite western restaurants in Chengdu, I'll be staying at a cheaper and cleaner option a few stops up the metro line from now on.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lintaitai

Reviewed December 5, 2012

When I arrived to this hotel on Dec3 morning,there was no bell boy there.So my wife,my friends and me carried ourself.I stayed there 3 nights during a business trip.Fortunately my friends can speak Chinese,so my wife and me passed over this problem.Hotel room price was 420 Yuan/day with buffet breakfast.Room is clean and accaptable.But our room 633's washing basin got bad smell from may be previous guest vomitting.Room service provided fruit plate everyday.On Dec 4 morning,I went to looked around Chengdu.My cash nearly 1000 Yuan remained at hotel room.But I arrived back to my room,my cash was on the table and room was clean by house keeping.So I highly appreciated her honesty.Chines style breakfast was average,no cheese.no jam,no yoghart after 8:30 AM.After 8:30 to 9:30 you must having Szechuan style spicy noodle,cold fried egg.If you are man,calling from message room 'll be continously and strongly disturb for guest.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TUN1964
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 10 nights during a business trip. The first problem is that the receptionists can hardly speak English. The breakfast consists of mainly Chinese food without even a cube of cheese that seems to be very difficult to eat early in the morning! However, the rooms are tidy, the hotel is well located near an underground station and there are some very good western style restaurants just walking distance away from the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Golnar
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I stayed here for just one night. Comparing to so many new shiny hotels recently set up in Chengdu, this one is a bit out-of-date.

When we were at the reception, there was a Korean guest before us. His conversation with the staff didn't go very smoothly as both sides didn't speak very good English.

The room is fine but a bit small. The window is sound proof enough in my opinion as I had a good sleep although I was staying in the room on the side of the building which is close to the busiest street of Chengdu.

Room Tip: To my surprise, this hotel has twin bed rooms and double bed rooms. This is a bit unusual for a hote...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ding_travel
Reviewed September 18, 2011

The hotel is in a good location for the new subway. The Chinese breakfast was not appealing for westerners. Room was basic but functionable and all in all was great for the price. Bed very hard but usual for China.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shazzbrizzie
Reviewed February 13, 2010

I'm traveling a lot for business. I stayed at many hotels in China. Mostly 4 or 5 star hotels.
This time my family and me need a hotel for the holidays.

It was very loud - next to the hotel was construction work in the neighborhood and the window went to busy street. The room smelled musty.
They gave us a wrong room with to single bed instead of a king size bed and the reception wasn't able to change this.
Anyway we didn't sleep one night here. My found found an service apartment nearby. Cheaper and 100 times better.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Arlago
Reviewed November 2, 2007

Spent a couple of nights in Chengdu during the golden week national holiday in China. Chengdu shopping streets had the most people concentrated in a couple of streets that we had ever seen and so did the giant budda in Leshan! So to be staying away from the crowds was not a bad thing.
The room was pretty basic but clean and overlooking a courtyard. We opened the windows - big mistake as we foprgot to close them at dusk and it let mosquitoes in and the Chengdu mozzies are very smart and did not want to get caught. Fortunately the hotel provided a plug inn mosquito repellant.
There was a slight leak under the basin which we reported and this was fixed. They had said we could move rooms if there was a problem.
Reception staff spoke barely any english so sorting out paying for our laundry by card and not cash caused a major discusson as we had not paid a deposit. However this was all sorted out quickly. They have really good sweets and candy on the reception desk! There are no money changing facilities in the hotel but there is a Bank of China across the road.
The Sunjoy Inn was going through major rennovation in the lobby and shoping arcade (not yet opened) and it was very noisy and suty and walking to the lift was a bit of a mission, climbing over bits of wood and up a ramp. The lift call button was below a lot of electric wires they were working on and on our second day the lift only left from the first floor so we had to climb up a flight of stairs as well. It also meant when we checked out, we had to carry our suitcases down the stairs and across all the rubble.
There was free broadband in the room and one english channel on the tv.
Breakfast was nothing special, eggs, cake and watermelon for the western palate.
We ate at a really good Indian restuarant called Tandoor behind the hotel and there are a few other restautrants around the hotel with english menus. we could not find the Starbucks a previous reviewer had mentioned but Chengdu has some excellent tea houses especially on the lake in Remnin Park and many other coffee chains.

• Stayed: October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank geronimoturtle