“Definitely worth a visit”

Giant Panda Breeding Research Base (Xiongmao Jidi)
Book In Advance
More Info
$60.00*
and up
Chengdu Private Day Tour: Pandas, Kuanzhai Ancient Street, and Jinli Ancient...
Ranked #1 of 340 things to do in Chengdu
Disneyland Paris, France
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Definitely worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Very nice place, all panda areas are large open spaces with many different points of view for tourists. Definitely the place with the best animal treatment I've seen in China. Lots of information in English available. I would highly recommend going with a tour guide, this allows you to go directly for the best sights at the best time. Guides knows precisely which pandas are being fed at which time. And for most of them, that's the only time of the day when they're active.

If you can spare some money for a guide there, don't think twice, do it and book a tour in Chengdu.

Visited June 2014

42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Woo Hoo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Beautiful facility with oodles of panda's. One tip, go early in the day when the panda's are the most active; otherwise you'll only get pictures of big, blobs of fur sleeping!

2 Thank lurasf
Guangzhou
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Enjoyable though Crowded”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

We went on this tour as part of a tour and I was surprised to find it near to the city center of ChengDu. I'm not sure what I expected, but I was somewhat surprised to find that this was actually just a big zoo with pandas. Some were in glassed in cages and others were in outdoor areas with more room to roam. All in all the park was well kept and there were really a lot of pandas there to see! Our group spent about six hours here. This is NOT wheelchair friendly.

One commercial aspect of the park was that they offered an opportunity to hold a panda if you "donated" 2000 yuan (about $350) to the park. This was promoted more as a benefit of donating rather than buying the chance to hold a panda, but I think it was mainly semantics. As part of the "Great Panda Experience" donors (one per 2000 yuan gift) first took a class to learn more about pandas and about holding them. They then watered down bamboo to be fed to the pandas and some lucky donors actually were allowed to shovel poop out of the panda cages! After donning medical garb and plastic gloves, donors were ushered into a special area to have their photos made with one of the bears. Though billed as "holding a panda", it was more sitting beside one for a photo op.

After the holding experience, donors were each given a gift bag with their photos encased in a nice acrylic frame, a tee shirt (not chosen according to the size of the donor but just picked at random and stuck in the bag), a bottle of water, two silly stuffed pandas, a lapel pin, and a certificate.

While we would never, ever have paid for the experience, a friend sponsored my daughter's panda holding experience and it makes a special memory for her. Whether it falls within the ethical treatment of animals or not, I don't know as I'm not up on all that! But I can say for the nine girls who were part of our group, it was a highlight of a ten day tour of China.

All in all we enjoyed the Panda Reserve but I'd have no desire to return.

Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“No panda”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Our family had such high spirit of going for the Panda trip in Chengdu. We are hoping to see the world best and most breed pandas. To our disappointment, we had walked throughout the whole park we only barely came across 8 to 10 Pandas. Out of them only 2 Pandas are active and hungry eating their bamboo meal, the rest were just taking their naps. The park was so big indeed.. We were all excited by following the sign board that directing us to the panda spots, but most of the time to our disappointment we can't find any pandas or site under construction....

Overall the whole experience to this Panda park was a disappointment ! For the entrance fee we paid is totally not justify! We just think that we are being fooled by the external publicity !

2 Thank Gerry N
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“I would visit every day if I could”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

We visited the Giant Panda centre at the end of March as part of a month long trip round China and it was certainly one of our highlights. The baby pandas are so playful and sweet you could watch them for hours. We were advised to arrive early, which we did. We were there as the gates opened at 8 am and headed straight to the spot where the slightly older cubs play after breakfast. I think we must have been the first people there as we had a great view of the pandas and were first round pretty much all of the enclosures. All of the pandas were out and playing and we even saw three really small ones climbing and playing in a tree. We went on a Monday morning and it really wasn't very busy at all. By 10.30ish it seemed the pandas were getting less playful and starting to go to sleep. The grounds themselves are very beautiful to walk round, there is a lot of bamboo plantation and a lovely lake.I even enjoyed the museum its not too big and quite informative.
My advice is gett there early and take the whole morning to wander round at your own pace. The site is not far from the centre around 20 minutes by car, we hired a driver which was good, as he came in with us and took us to all the best spots. Which meant we has more time to state adoringly at the little beauties.
If you want to know more about our trip and see some of the pandas, have a look at the post I wrote in my travel diary.

Visited March 2014