Kempinski Hotel Chengdu
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$65
  • Restaurant
$67
Trip.com
Ibis Hotel (Chengdu Yongfeng)(Chengdu)(Great Value!)
$30
$23
$251
$182
  • Pool
Ibis Chengdu Chunxi(Chengdu)(Great Value!)
$34
$42
$98
$91
  • Pool
All reviewspaulaner restaurantgerman beermicro brewerynice beer gardenexcellent business hotelbusiness tripbreakfast buffetthe ground floorthe air conditioningwithin walking distancemodern bathroomfood and beverageenglish languageenjoyable staythe general managerclose to the airportbeautiful hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 9, 2009

We stayed at the Kempinski Chengdu for 3 weeks recently and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel, facilities and food are all very good. The rooms were very clean and the staff really friendly and helpful. The hotel is at a great location from which to explore the city.
We were very sad to leave at the end of our trip and would definetly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank SarahLouChengdu
Reviewed September 14, 2008

This was my first trip to China and Chengdu and my first stay at the Kempinski. I was pleasantly surprised on arrival at the hotel as I was not sure what to expect. The 19th floor executive check-in was perfect and after a quick check-in I was shown through to the executive lounge for a drink. I found my room to be a good size and clean but after a couple of days I did start to have issues with the quality of Chinese manufacturing. Not wanting to use the AC all the time I used to use one of the small side windows but after four days I ended up with the window latch in my hand, this was repaired three days later with two large screws and a large lump of sticky backed rubber, so I dared not to touch it again. The shower was a good size but the water pressure and temperature were all over the place and for some reason, after six days of use, it decided to flood the bathroom floor. All right then, lets use the bath. This worked for a couple of days until the button that opened and closed the plug also came off in my hand, I am not sure if this was ever repaired properly as I went back to using the shower with a towel in front of the door. There was also a separate tap in the bathroom for 'drinking water' but I was not so sure about this. The internet connection worked well and it was free, as was the complementary bowl of fruit that appeared every couple of days. Working in your room was possible if you could put up with the continual interruptions from the staff, even with the 'do not disturb sign' on the door and the button on for the light at reception. One person for the minibar, one for cleaning, one just having a look, one to close the curtains, one to turn down the bed and one at the door with a trolley full of food and drink determined to get me to pay for it when I had not even ordered it. Breakfast in the executive lounge was a simple affair but the food in the rest of the hotel was good. The Paulaner Brauhaus bar was a nice place to go for their home brewed German beer and a decent snack bar type menu, when watching football on the big screen TV. We used to meet up with friends and colleagues in the executive lounge for drinks after work and I could never understand why we did not have to pay and other guests were charged, maybe it was because I had given the waiter a tip on day one, who knows? Would I use this hotel again? Probably.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I have been travelling around China for the last 2 years and By now I know that in the lessknown cities you can't expect The western service that we all enjoy back home, but at Kempinski Chengdu they really did their best to make my stay as enjoyable as possible.

Rooms were nice, large and most important, very clean. The food was really nice and there are several nice places to go out and have a nice diner or lunch. Kempinski is Located not far from the American consualte and other important venues and there are always taxi's on stand-by. Staff was always willing to help me and a lot of them speak or at least understand English

I even received a Taxi-Book, a billingual booklet containing al the addresses you might need in Chengdu. I really thanked them for it. Finally i no longer have to ask the hotel staff to write down the addresses I need in Chinese.

If you ever have to stay in Chengdu, choose Kempinski, I've stayed at other five star hotels here and found that I had to pay more for less.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank lonleytraveler
Reviewed April 22, 2008

My first time in Chengdu and first stay at a Kempinski in China. I had the impression that Kempinski was a luxury chain but this is not a luxury hotel... basically a Chinese 3 star.

Check In
My co-workers arrived just prior to me checked me in... but afterwards they indicated that there was only 1 staff and a long queue in the lobby reception, and again only one incompetent, slow, and surly staff at the 19th floor executive check-in. I experienced her incompetence just in the few minutes I was there.

Room
No offense to the blind, but the decorators clearly were blind! The room was dark, but I think that's good or I would have seen how dirty the carpets were! Bed was typical Chinese firm mattress, pillows were unconfortably firm. Internet access was OK but for a fee. Bathrooms were poorly layed out, shower was very small, and the water pressure varied from none to jet-stream, with interesting temperature variations as well.

No drinking water was provided for free, only expensive small bottles of evian in the minibar.

Cleanliness was an issue... I accidently dropped a glass on my first day and it broke on the tile floor of the bathroom... and I was still walking on glass shards after the room was cleaned the next day. (the housekeeping clearly noticed the broken glass, howver because the hotel attempted to charge me for it!)

Gym
I had to argue with the hotel manager to get the gym open at 6am for a morning workout, it normally opens only at 7. I shouldn't have bothered, because it only has 5 machines, all of which are cheap Chinese imitations of actual exercise equipment. One was broken. What a joke!

Laundry
My laundry was returned un-finished. No idea why.

The staff were mostly useless, with bad attitudes and careless service.

Breakfast
Breakfast at the Exec club on the 19th floor had very limited selections and was poorly presented. Coffee was cold and had to be sent back.

Check Out
Took 15 minutes per person. Two staff at 6:00 am couldn't really manage.

There must be a better hotel in Chengdu... I'll definitely be trying a different one next time!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 29, 2008

Just stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. As a very frequent visitor to this city, have extensive knowledge of most hotels and wanted to provide my feedback on this property.

Overall, it was probably an average hotel.

Hit or miss here. The reception and front desk services were very good yet when I arrived at 11pm, there was no doorman to speak of to assist with luggage or even help finding a taxi to leave the hotel (?). One day the maid service never arrived -- seems that the do not disturb light was on -- I never touched this switch so it was probably on when I checked in -- nonetheless, no phone call nor note indicating that housekeeping attempted to provide service and that I should request service should I wish. Instead, I arrived back to an unkempt room and laundry still sitting awaiting collection. Because I needed that laundry done asap, had to pay a 50% surcharge to use the "express service" -- not too thrilled about that.

Room
Had a suite, it was just so-so. Comfortable bed but for the price it should have been. I felt that the toiletries were uninspiring (comparing with other hotel rooms in this price range), bathroom was odd (probably an old floor plan), living room area was uninviting. They did not even provide the complimentary two small bottles of water that just about any room in town provides; not thrilled about that one.

Hotel Common Areas
Hotel lobby bar is terrific; the staff were nice and very friendly.
Hallways are dark with this garish 80's retro brown wallpaper.

Location
Right now, not the best if you wish to go to Tianfu square or other more interesting parts of the city - cab is a necessity. Notwithstanding, this location will become more significant to businessmen upon the completion of significant construction in the area (office buildings) and completion of the metro (a few years away) which will take you to those other places.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo