This hotel is very nice. The staff that I encountered were all very nice and competent. The lobby is beautiful and well kept. The room I had was really a suite and it was also very nice, for the most part. By most US hotel standards, this is a very nice hotel. So why am I saying little things annoy? Well, when I compare it to the nice hotels in China and Asia in general, like Shangri-La chain, it's just not quite there. What are the little things that annoy?
1. The plug next to the desk. It's nice to have the plug right there, but the frame around the outlet prevents my adapter from plugging in all the way, making me move the desk a bit to get to the plug at the wall.
2. I drink decaf coffee and it's sometimes hard to find decaf in China. I bring Starbucks VIA instant coffee with me. There was no creamer or sugar in the room, unlike what I always find at Shangri-La.
3. The shower drain did not drain well, so the water overflows into the bathroom floor making a mini-flood zone that takes hours to dry up
4. There isn't any drawers to unpack my cloth to, despite a suite with a couch, a work area, and a large bathroom. There were no cabinets that I always find in hotels
5. The bath robes were less quality than I normally find in Asian 5 star hotels
6. There were no places to hang a wet face towel
7. At the buffet dinner, there were lots of items, but many are "just not quite right". It looks like they are trying but just couldn't quite get there
8. If you are coming from the Renming Nan Road, you have to cut through 4 lanes of traffic in about 200 feet to make the left turn into the hotel. Pretty much impossible except for late night. So you have to go down the street before making a u-turn. I know this isn't something the hotel can control, but still annoying.
9. The hot water heater in the room is the standard type you find in most Chinese hotels, but the cord is so short and there isn't a table surface you can use except at the desk that has a plug within in the distance of the hot water heater. I had to put it on the floor.
10. There isn't anywhere within easy (5 min or 10 min) walking distance to get food.
11. When I ordered room service breakfast at 6:30, asking for a 7:00 deliver (because I wanted to take a shower and wanted plenty of time before they delivered it), I was told it would be ready in 20 minutes and it was going to get cold if it was delivered at 7:00. I told them to start the prep 10 minutes later then. She sounded a bit annoyed and said she will have to ask the kitchen!! Well, I did get it at 7:00 exactly and it was still warm, but not "hot". Not sure if they actually started it later and it just got a bit less hot during the delivery process or they actually started early and let it sit there. Regardless, I found the order taker's response very odd and not customer centric.
I know some of these items are nit-picky, but I do wonder if anyone from the hotel has stayed in one of the rooms and view it as a guest. It's these little things that differentiate the hotel. Nothing is seriously wrong. Vast majority of the hotel is very nice. The staff is competent but just not quite to the standards of Shangri-La (but then again, I have not found a hotel in China that has the level of service that Shangri-La has (multiple locations).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Chengdu Taihe luxury hotel is ideally located in the centre of the city on the picturesque Jinjiang River. The hotel is a 20-minute drive from Chengdu International Airport and 15-minute walk to Tianfu Square and the citys commercial centres.The 162 Luxury Rooms and 100 Suites accommodate guests in French elegance with a subtle Chinese touch. Every detail has been attended to for an extraordinary experience from the indulgent Sofitel MyBed to fragrance lighting entertainment and technology.Three inviting restaurants delight with Chinese Japanese and Western flavours while 3 bars offer a choice of fine drinks to savour. Leisure facilities include the spa fitness centre indoor swimming pool Jacuzzi and sauna for male guests,. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sofitel Chengdu Taihe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Wanda Chengdu Hotel Chengdu
- Accor Wanda Chengdu
- Sofitel Chengdu
- Chengdu Sofitel