“Perfect Stay”

Sofitel Chengdu Taihe
Ranked #16 of 2,714 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Location excellent, around the corner nice local hot pot restaurant.
Quality as expected up to Sofitel and Accor standard.
Helpful staff. I definitely enjoyed and will stay again when I am next time in Chengdu.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TheMisterMA
Lucia Quality S, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Dear guest,bonjour!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, specially with such a nice feedback. It is always good to receive positive comments.
I will share your experience with our team as it will serve as encouragement.
I would like to let you know that we will be having an upgrade of our restaurant very soon so you could try it next time you stay with us!
Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope that your next stay is as pleasant as the previous one.

Best regards

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Chengdu Taihe

Reviewed October 19, 2013

My stay at the Sofitel Wanda Chengdu proved to be decent, although there were certainly areas where the experience fell short of my expectations of what is essentially the top end of the Accor portfolio of hotels.

My stay was booked at the very last minute and I arrived at the hotel within 30 minutes of making the booking having been thoroughly unimpressed with the hotel I was originally booked to stay at. Despite this, the Sofitel had me in their system, and in recognition of my Accor platinum status, upgraded me to an executive room. This was greatly appreciated. Check in was quick and smooth, although I did find it odd that no explanation was provided regarding the privileges extended to executive floor guests or platinum status guests. Most hotels I have stayed at provide a letter outlining these, or at least provide a verbal explanation.

The room itself was nice and spacious, with furniture in good condition and a very comfortable bed. There was a good dressing nook, with plenty of drawers. The desk was a good size and had a couple of spare points capable of accommodating multiple types of plugs. The room was quiet (it was a high floor) and I slept well. The bathroom was big, although rather than being 1 big room was more like a winding corridor with vanity, bathtub, shower and toilets located at various points. The bathroom was showing signs of wear and tear, and would benefit from a refresh. The only negative point about cleaning was in the bathroom - there were a couple of hairs in their when I did my initial check of facilities.

The executive lounge was located at the top of the hotel, providing good views of the surrounding city. The food and beverage options were solid and the service was good. The times I was in the lounge it was not busy so there as no problem with accommodating guests.

The spa/steam/sauna facilities for men were solid, and included multiple spa baths in a good sized room. The facilities themselves have seen better days, and again a refresh or better maintenance would be more fitting of a 5-star brand such as Sofitel. There was mould/mildew on the walls of the showers, and a strange odour in the steamroom. For me, the benchmark for these types of facilities is set by the Mandarin Oriental hotel group, especially the Landmark Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong, and the Sofitel Wanda would do well to move closer to that mark.

Overall a good hotel experience - with a few tweaks this could be a great experience. I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Lucia G, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear guest, bonjour!

First of all, i would like to thank you for the detailed review you wrote about your stay with us. This kind of comments are the ones that help us to improve and motivates our staff.

I am glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay.

I am sorry about the lack of information about the Platinum privileges. We usually place a letter in the room which explains every thing. However, as your booking was a last minute one, we did not have time to prepare it.

Regarding the hairs in the bathroom, allow me to give you my sincere apologies. We always check everyroom before the guest arrives, however sometimes there are details that we may miss. I will make sure I let the Housekeeping department know in order for them to strenghten this issue and be more carefull next time.

In regards of the sauna and the odour, our engineering department is already working on it, right away when we received your comment.

Anyways, I am glad that your stay was pleasant and I hope that we can even make it more pleasant in the future .

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I will just say that I'm not a fan of Sofitels in general. This one did not let me down either. The bed was extremely uncomfortable and the room was a bit dirty. The restaurant was awful, and unfortunately I had to eat here multiple times on this stay. I have been to China several times and never had a problem anywhere else with the food, but this was bad. One other thing to think about if you are an American here, is it will be tough to get a taxi, and there really isn't a whole lot within walking distance of this hotel. I would not stay here again.

Also, as a business traveler, I was upset that they decided to charge me when I checked in a nominal deposit and then charged my card the balance upon checkout, thus leaving me with two business receipts, and one mess of an itemized receipt. They charged my card in USD, but the bill was itemized in RMB. This was a complete pain and a waste of my time to try and sort it out.

Room Tip: You will want to be on the river side, not the dumpy parking lot on the back side.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BigYellow797
Lucia Quality S, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear guest, bonjour!

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. However, I am very sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies.

I would personally appreciate it if you could share with me your details so that we can investigate the case and address the problem properly. My email address is mt1@sofitelchengdu.com

Thank you very much and I am looking to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Having read the reviews i was a little worried but the room was well appointed clean and well maintained

Good location on the river close to the centre of town there is a local version if a 7 11 on the other side of the river about ten minutes walk away

The food for dinner on the al a carte menu was bad a burger and fries barely warm and inedible Korean ribs

Nice pool but cool there are two changing rooms one for the gym and another in the sauna area gym changing room needs some TLC but nice sauna

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Guest,bonjour!

Fist of all thank you for sharing your experience. At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Secondly, I am very sorry that the expererience at our restaurant was not up to your expectations. At the moment we are having a project to upgrade our food and service quality which should be ready by the end of next month.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

After staying at two Sofitels in Cambodia, Chengdu was a dissappointment. Rooms are low quality - smelly (smoke) curtains, broken electric sockets, broken curtains & toilet - cold water did not work in bath etc. Breakfast staff are excellent & food selection very good (especially noodle soup). Wifi in bedrooms comes & goes!

Stayed: October 2013
Hebe Lu FOM S, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear guest, bonjour!
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am very sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations. I am very surprised about the bad conditions that you are mentioning since we have a regular maintenance of our rooms. However rest assured that we will take the proper measures to prevent this from happening again. Once again, I would like to thank you for your comments since they will serve us to improve and get better. We are now in the process of renovating our rooms by changing the carpets. I hope that you could give us the oppotunity to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

As regular guests at Sofitel's my husband and I opted to stay here on our trip to see the Pandas at the giant panda breeding research centre. The pandas were amazing, the hotel was not.

The lobby leads you to think that the hotel would be on par with other Sofitel hotels, lovely decor, high ceilings etc. despite being upgraded to a hotel suite, the carpets were tired, water initially ran brown where the room had not been occupied for a while and when we ordered room service...breakfast of eggs Benedict (as we had an early start) we were served anaemic eggs on bread, which we sent back, if the chefs don't know what something is then it shouldn't be on the menu... Or the staff should be trained in how to make everything on that menu. The swimming pool staff were rude, changing rooms dirty, hair in the shower and dirty towels on the changing room benches. There was also a rule that you could not use the swimming pool unless you wore a swimming cap (This was not a rule that existed in other Sofitel's Beijing or Xian). As we did not realise this rule when we got into the pool the staff beckoned for us to get out of the pool and put on one of their used shower caps! I felt that this would be unhygienic and instead we left the pool area and returned to our room. If this rule is to stand then they should provided, sealed, unused shower caps for guests convenience. I would also add that I believe that spitting by the side of the pool really should be addressed before swimming caps!

During our trip to China we also stayed at the Sofitel's in Beijing and Xian which were fantastic and I really believe that the Sofitel Chengdu has the potential to be as good as them, but the staff need to spend some time training in Beijing or Xian to see what the expectations of guests are and see what great looks like. Sofitel also needs to invest some money in this hotel to get the rooms to the same standard as the lobby especially as Chengdu is rapidly growing as a hub of industry for China, they need to address these issues as a matter of urgency.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hebe Lu FOM S, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Wanda Chengdu. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

The room service issue has been address by our Director of F&B and Executive Chef, and we will conduct the training to our F&B staff and all chefs immediately. Regarding the swimming pool issue, please understand that it is request by the Hygiene Bureau guests who enter the swimming pool must wear swimming cap. I will share your comments and suggestion with our management team, we will try our best to correct the problem and improve it. The carpet and water issue, we should refresh the room on daily basis, we will follow up with our Executive Housekeeer to ensure it will not happen again. Also we are in the process of doing the hotel renovation step by step, as well as the carpet change.

Hebe LU
Front Office Manager
Sofitel Luxury Hotels

Reviewed September 15, 2013

stayed in sofitel wanda chengdu on 9/9/13 for a night in one of the room on level 9, and another 3 more nights from 11/9/13 to 14/9/13 at room 702.

I have used up almost all my le club gold member points accumulated over the last 4 years in exchange for vouchers for the 2 stays.

i have chosen sofitel for their good reputation and particularly sofitel wanda chengdu for the great location. it is situated opposite the river apart from a busy road, a 10 mins walk to xin nan meng intercity bus terminal and 5 mins walk to the nearest metro station. And ultimately, I wanted to use up my points before they expired.

On my first stay for a night, i was given a room at level 9. the aircon was not working with the lowest temp. constantly maintained at 27 degree. we have to sleep in our perspiration thru out the night.

TIPS: their twin rooms have a translucent glass partition from the room. so dont expect privacy for a good shower if you are there with your friends or guests. we have to shower with the lights off in the bath room for that minimum privacy.

on my 2nd stay, we were given room 702. the air con in the room was better after we told the staff on our first visit. however, the fridge (minibar) in the room doesnt seems to be working. there is no stirrer or teaspoon provided. coffee, tea and sugar was not replenish daily till we have to call them. isnt that a SOP for housekeeping staff? no turn down service for a 5 stars hotel, its really a joke! they expect the guests to use their fingers to stir their coffee/tea or were they expecting us to use of toothbrush to do so?

front desk staff can't speak a proper sentence of english for this 5 stars international hotel. they always look busy that makes me invisible when i stood right in front of them for almost 2 minutes upon checking out.

concierge service: never greet their guests when they walked thru the main entrance. they were so afraid to see us they have to walk away or pretend to be occupied. or maybe they were really occupied with whatever.

breakfast buffet on the 14/9/2013. no teaspoon on our table for coffee. this hotel's teaspoon is really precious....
coffee was served with lots of coffee grounds in it which taste like we were drinking coffee with soil. food items were not replenish even when it was only 9am, where it ends at 10am. felt like eating some left over food.

utterly disappointed with sofitel wanda chengdu. does not live up to its standard at all.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Hebe Lu FOM S, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you for your commence and I profusely apologize for the impact this had on your stay. I will communicate with you directly to address our shortcoming

I assure that our usual high standard has maintained and that this is an accidental occurrence.

We are appreciative of your comments which will assist us in the training and development of our ambassadors.