“Poor quality Sofitel”

Ranked #17 of 2,686 Hotels in Chengdu
Yokohama, Japan
“Poor quality Sofitel”
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

After staying at two Sofitels in Cambodia, Chengdu was a dissappointment. Rooms are low quality - smelly (smoke) curtains, broken electric sockets, broken curtains & toilet - cold water did not work in bath etc. Breakfast staff are excellent & food selection very good (especially noodle soup). Wifi in bedrooms comes & goes!

Stayed October 2013
Hebe Lu FOM S, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear guest, bonjour!
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am very sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations. I am very surprised about the bad conditions that you are mentioning since we have a regular maintenance of our rooms. However rest assured that we will take the proper measures to prevent this from happening again. Once again, I would like to thank you for your comments since they will serve us to improve and get better. We are now in the process of renovating our rooms by changing the carpets. I hope that you could give us the oppotunity to better serve you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

As regular guests at Sofitel's my husband and I opted to stay here on our trip to see the Pandas at the giant panda breeding research centre. The pandas were amazing, the hotel was not.

The lobby leads you to think that the hotel would be on par with other Sofitel hotels, lovely decor, high ceilings etc. despite being upgraded to a hotel suite, the carpets were tired, water initially ran brown where the room had not been occupied for a while and when we ordered room service...breakfast of eggs Benedict (as we had an early start) we were served anaemic eggs on bread, which we sent back, if the chefs don't know what something is then it shouldn't be on the menu... Or the staff should be trained in how to make everything on that menu. The swimming pool staff were rude, changing rooms dirty, hair in the shower and dirty towels on the changing room benches. There was also a rule that you could not use the swimming pool unless you wore a swimming cap (This was not a rule that existed in other Sofitel's Beijing or Xian). As we did not realise this rule when we got into the pool the staff beckoned for us to get out of the pool and put on one of their used shower caps! I felt that this would be unhygienic and instead we left the pool area and returned to our room. If this rule is to stand then they should provided, sealed, unused shower caps for guests convenience. I would also add that I believe that spitting by the side of the pool really should be addressed before swimming caps!

During our trip to China we also stayed at the Sofitel's in Beijing and Xian which were fantastic and I really believe that the Sofitel Chengdu has the potential to be as good as them, but the staff need to spend some time training in Beijing or Xian to see what the expectations of guests are and see what great looks like. Sofitel also needs to invest some money in this hotel to get the rooms to the same standard as the lobby especially as Chengdu is rapidly growing as a hub of industry for China, they need to address these issues as a matter of urgency.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hebe Lu FOM S, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Wanda Chengdu. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

The room service issue has been address by our Director of F&B and Executive Chef, and we will conduct the training to our F&B staff and all chefs immediately. Regarding the swimming pool issue, please understand that it is request by the Hygiene Bureau guests who enter the swimming pool must wear swimming cap. I will share your comments and suggestion with our management team, we will try our best to correct the problem and improve it. The carpet and water issue, we should refresh the room on daily basis, we will follow up with our Executive Housekeeer to ensure it will not happen again. Also we are in the process of doing the hotel renovation step by step, as well as the carpet change.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 15, 2013

stayed in sofitel wanda chengdu on 9/9/13 for a night in one of the room on level 9, and another 3 more nights from 11/9/13 to 14/9/13 at room 702.

I have used up almost all my le club gold member points accumulated over the last 4 years in exchange for vouchers for the 2 stays.

i have chosen sofitel for their good reputation and particularly sofitel wanda chengdu for the great location. it is situated opposite the river apart from a busy road, a 10 mins walk to xin nan meng intercity bus terminal and 5 mins walk to the nearest metro station. And ultimately, I wanted to use up my points before they expired.

On my first stay for a night, i was given a room at level 9. the aircon was not working with the lowest temp. constantly maintained at 27 degree. we have to sleep in our perspiration thru out the night.

TIPS: their twin rooms have a translucent glass partition from the room. so dont expect privacy for a good shower if you are there with your friends or guests. we have to shower with the lights off in the bath room for that minimum privacy.

on my 2nd stay, we were given room 702. the air con in the room was better after we told the staff on our first visit. however, the fridge (minibar) in the room doesnt seems to be working. there is no stirrer or teaspoon provided. coffee, tea and sugar was not replenish daily till we have to call them. isnt that a SOP for housekeeping staff? no turn down service for a 5 stars hotel, its really a joke! they expect the guests to use their fingers to stir their coffee/tea or were they expecting us to use of toothbrush to do so?

front desk staff can't speak a proper sentence of english for this 5 stars international hotel. they always look busy that makes me invisible when i stood right in front of them for almost 2 minutes upon checking out.

concierge service: never greet their guests when they walked thru the main entrance. they were so afraid to see us they have to walk away or pretend to be occupied. or maybe they were really occupied with whatever.

breakfast buffet on the 14/9/2013. no teaspoon on our table for coffee. this hotel's teaspoon is really precious....
coffee was served with lots of coffee grounds in it which taste like we were drinking coffee with soil. food items were not replenish even when it was only 9am, where it ends at 10am. felt like eating some left over food.

utterly disappointed with sofitel wanda chengdu. does not live up to its standard at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hebe Lu FOM S, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for your commence and I profusely apologize for the impact this had on your stay. I will communicate with you directly to address our shortcoming

I assure that our usual high standard has maintained and that this is an accidental occurrence.

We are appreciative of your comments which will assist us in the training and development of our ambassadors.
East Preston
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Great place to stay for a visit to the pandas.
The rooms are very good, the service excellent and the buffet well worth having as you can have the local style 'hot pot' cooked to order, which is easier than the local restuarants where it was difficult to find a menu in English.
The staff got a taxi to take us to the panda research centre and gave us the written instructions to give to a taxi to get us back, so much cheaper than a pre-booked excursion.

Room Tip: Go for a river view even if it costs a bit more.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martin Q
Hebe Lu FOM S, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Wanda Chengdu. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one. Looking forward to see you soon.

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was surprisingly a disappointment. We've stayed at two different Sofitel hotels in the past and have been utterly amazed with the facility and service. This one in Chengdu is beautiful in the lobby. The Breakfast buffet was nice and the service there was exceptional. They also have a Cigar Store which is quite nice. However as the saying goes, "The buck stops there."

During the Check-in process, we gave them our credit card as we always do at all the hotels we've been to worldwide. But instead of just keeping the "tab open," for incidental charges,they automatically charged deposit of Yuan 1000 ($166 US). They also said the credit card we gave them didn''t work and wanted a cash deposit. After we said the credit card was good they ran it again, and it worked. We repeatedly asked them to just take the credit card number so we could purchase as we need to. But to no avail, they just charged the deposit.

The smoking room lounge/bar was nicely set up. We went in there to smoke our newly purchased Cuban Cigars and to indulge in a Single Malt. Their selection of drinks is limited, but we managed. Service was less than adequate. The waitress only returned to us after 45 minutes. That's after we flagged down another waitress to get a second round of drinks.

The room is another story. The coffee and tea were not replenished. As a matter of fact, we were left with a half filled cup of coffee. Apparently we were supposed to recycle our own coffee, despite the lack of a microwave heat it in. The room never got cold despite the thermostat being set to the lowest temperature. The toilet had to be flushed 4-5 times each time you used it. The shower would only deliver hot water and couldn't be adjusted with cold. The list goes on.

The worse was the Chinese Restaurant. We ordered an appetizer and two entrees. The appetizer came out after one entree. And the second entree came out significantly later than the first. The food itself was delicious but again the service was mediocre. They never came back to ask if the food was good or if we wanted another drink. Possibly because no one really spoke English. When it was time to pay the bill, we signed our name and room number. But since our dinner was more than the deposit charged to our room, we had to pay the difference. They didn't just charge the room as all other hotels would have. We were actually pulled out of the elevator to speak to the manager. As we were attempting to pay they bill at the restaurant, we were told that we had to go to the Front Desk to pay it. The difference between the deposit and the restaurant bill was less than Yuan 300 (less than $50 US). They again said the credit card didn't work and required only cash. This is absolutely unacceptable. We are here with a travel agency. They have our Passport numbers and credit card number. Plus we are supposed to stay at the Sofitel in Xi'an for 3 nights. Surely they didn't think we would skip town and not pay the bill.

We both have Le Club Accorhotels member numbers. We have always stayed in Club Level Suites. And service is always exceptional when we reserve the rooms on our own. Perhaps it was because we booked with a travel agency we were given a subpar room. But with the name brand "Sofitel", the one at Chengdu did not live up to its standard.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KatC19
Hebe Lu FOM S, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
I am writing this letter to express my sincerely appreciation for you to take the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Wanda Chengdu, more important, please accept my deeply apology that your experience did not meet your expectation, this obviously is not our Sofitel standard. At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior guest service and excellence experience, your advice and comments are very important to us to ensure we do exactly that.

I am very sorry that your check-in experience is not as good as it should be. According to our Finance Policy, we could not keep your “tab” open by just file your credit card number, it is absolutely our fault that we did not explain to you clearly and confirm the amount of deposit but charged your RMB1000 instead. I am very shame that our staffs were not trained well and we will make sure it is not happening again.

I have also addressed your comments regarding our room facilities and amenities with our Executive House keeper for immediate correction and improvement; I am appreciative for your suggestions.

I was so surprised that your experience at our Chinese restaurant was like that which was not acceptable; I will discuss this with our Director of Food and Beverage for future action, this will include our management as well as staffs’ training.

Moreover, thank you for staying at Sofitel and choosing to be our Le-club member, at Sofitel we try to make every guest feels like home when staying with us, no matter which source the guests have booked from, I am very sorry that you have felt that way, I am sure that your next stay with us will be much more enjoyable.

I regrettably cannot change what has occurred, however I sincerely hope that this experience has not marred your opinion and loyalty towards Sofitel and our subsequent service excellence promise. Please be assured that we have and are taking the appropriate measures to address these service issues and prevent future reoccurrence.

I am grateful that you’re sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.