“DISAPPOINTED.”

Ranked #17 of 2,704 Hotels in Chengdu
Anchorage, Alaska
“DISAPPOINTED.”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was surprisingly a disappointment. We've stayed at two different Sofitel hotels in the past and have been utterly amazed with the facility and service. This one in Chengdu is beautiful in the lobby. The Breakfast buffet was nice and the service there was exceptional. They also have a Cigar Store which is quite nice. However as the saying goes, "The buck stops there."

During the Check-in process, we gave them our credit card as we always do at all the hotels we've been to worldwide. But instead of just keeping the "tab open," for incidental charges,they automatically charged deposit of Yuan 1000 ($166 US). They also said the credit card we gave them didn''t work and wanted a cash deposit. After we said the credit card was good they ran it again, and it worked. We repeatedly asked them to just take the credit card number so we could purchase as we need to. But to no avail, they just charged the deposit.

The smoking room lounge/bar was nicely set up. We went in there to smoke our newly purchased Cuban Cigars and to indulge in a Single Malt. Their selection of drinks is limited, but we managed. Service was less than adequate. The waitress only returned to us after 45 minutes. That's after we flagged down another waitress to get a second round of drinks.

The room is another story. The coffee and tea were not replenished. As a matter of fact, we were left with a half filled cup of coffee. Apparently we were supposed to recycle our own coffee, despite the lack of a microwave heat it in. The room never got cold despite the thermostat being set to the lowest temperature. The toilet had to be flushed 4-5 times each time you used it. The shower would only deliver hot water and couldn't be adjusted with cold. The list goes on.

The worse was the Chinese Restaurant. We ordered an appetizer and two entrees. The appetizer came out after one entree. And the second entree came out significantly later than the first. The food itself was delicious but again the service was mediocre. They never came back to ask if the food was good or if we wanted another drink. Possibly because no one really spoke English. When it was time to pay the bill, we signed our name and room number. But since our dinner was more than the deposit charged to our room, we had to pay the difference. They didn't just charge the room as all other hotels would have. We were actually pulled out of the elevator to speak to the manager. As we were attempting to pay they bill at the restaurant, we were told that we had to go to the Front Desk to pay it. The difference between the deposit and the restaurant bill was less than Yuan 300 (less than $50 US). They again said the credit card didn't work and required only cash. This is absolutely unacceptable. We are here with a travel agency. They have our Passport numbers and credit card number. Plus we are supposed to stay at the Sofitel in Xi'an for 3 nights. Surely they didn't think we would skip town and not pay the bill.

We both have Le Club Accorhotels member numbers. We have always stayed in Club Level Suites. And service is always exceptional when we reserve the rooms on our own. Perhaps it was because we booked with a travel agency we were given a subpar room. But with the name brand "Sofitel", the one at Chengdu did not live up to its standard.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KatC19
Hebe Lu FOM S, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
I am writing this letter to express my sincerely appreciation for you to take the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Wanda Chengdu, more important, please accept my deeply apology that your experience did not meet your expectation, this obviously is not our Sofitel standard. At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior guest service and excellence experience, your advice and comments are very important to us to ensure we do exactly that.

I am very sorry that your check-in experience is not as good as it should be. According to our Finance Policy, we could not keep your “tab” open by just file your credit card number, it is absolutely our fault that we did not explain to you clearly and confirm the amount of deposit but charged your RMB1000 instead. I am very shame that our staffs were not trained well and we will make sure it is not happening again.

I have also addressed your comments regarding our room facilities and amenities with our Executive House keeper for immediate correction and improvement; I am appreciative for your suggestions.

I was so surprised that your experience at our Chinese restaurant was like that which was not acceptable; I will discuss this with our Director of Food and Beverage for future action, this will include our management as well as staffs’ training.

Moreover, thank you for staying at Sofitel and choosing to be our Le-club member, at Sofitel we try to make every guest feels like home when staying with us, no matter which source the guests have booked from, I am very sorry that you have felt that way, I am sure that your next stay with us will be much more enjoyable.

I regrettably cannot change what has occurred, however I sincerely hope that this experience has not marred your opinion and loyalty towards Sofitel and our subsequent service excellence promise. Please be assured that we have and are taking the appropriate measures to address these service issues and prevent future reoccurrence.

I am grateful that you’re sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Hebe LU
Front Office Manager
Sofitel Luxury Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
nottingham, UK
Reviewed August 18, 2013

A very nice hotel at least in terms of facilities, clean excellent rooms but a bit isolated from the city centre on foot at least. Food and drink very expensive by chinese standards - for the price of a gin and tonic in the hotel I could buy a full bottle of gin, a couple of beers, 4 cokes 2 sprites and nibbles for 5 at the 7-11 just across the river!
I was very annoyed by the policy at the swimming pool in the hotel - my wife and I and 3 kids were booked into 2 rooms, we went down for a swim but my wife and daughter weren't allowed into the swimming pool (after getting changed) as they weren't wearing swimming caps, they asked if they could get swimming caps but were told they would have to go out and buy some - a bit of a hassle when you have already changed into your swimming gear so they didn't bother. My middle son wasn't allowed to go swimming as only 2 people per room were allowed to swim - this seemed very bizarre as 2 out of 5 were already barred for no swimming caps! My elder son and I went for a brief swim despite having hair and no caps but obviously we didn't want to stay long in the circumstances. This hotel would be fine if you are a single traveller on business who possess a swimming cap and doesn't want to connect with the city except by taxi but if travelkling as a family I'd avoid. although one of the nicest hotels we stayed in in china probably one of the worst overall experiences.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hebe Lu FOM S, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Wanda Chengdu. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I will share your feedback with our management team about the Swimming pool policy. We will try to find out the solution and improve our service. Regarding the swimming cap issue, this is request by our health Bureau. All People enter the swimming pool must wear swimming cap. Please understand us! We will purchase some caps for our in house guest to free use. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here twice for a couple of nights each time. The rooms are very small but adequate - but they are so grubby! The carpet is disgusting. I didn't want my kids sitting on the floor. The public areas of the hotel are nice, but the rooms are very tired and just dirty. The shower had mold, the corners of the rooms had PILES of dirt, like they'd never been vacuumed. Our first room faced the rear - which had a great views at night and was quieter than than street facing rooms. The breakfast buffet was OK, and the service throughout the hotel was very polite and efficient. We ordered room service one evening and we were disappointed by the meals, which really had little to do with the descriptions on the menu. The pool was nice - but there were men coughing and snotting and spitting at the pool side which was nauseating. It's in a nice part of the city, pleasant to walk around in the evening. But I wouldn't stay here again until the rooms have been renovated - particularly the carpet.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are quieter than the street fronting rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hebe Lu FOM S, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Shelly,

In regards the issue you mentioned on your email about the carpet and other condition of the room, I am again very sorry about this, I will contact with Houe Keeping Department and make sure this is not happening again. We just had a new Head Chief working with us, so we are confident that our room service and menu will be much better when you stay with us next time. About the experience you had at our pool, I will investigate on this and give our staff more training and make sure every guest have a nice environment. Thank you again for choosing Sofitel Chengdu, please kindly let us know when you will stay with us again, and we will make sure you will have a wonderfully stay.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Hebe LU
Front Office Manager
Sofitel Luxury Hotels
KL
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I visited this hotel my last trip here and thought the lobbies were good. Went ahead and booked for a stay this October and to my worry I saw all these very negative comments. Ill have to say I've stayed in sofitel beijing and as with sofitels somehow I don't feel that you are eager to service. definitely not 5 star service. Was at shanghai sofitel too. Always got to haul my own cabs. Never greeted with a smile. What are you doing to resolve these terrible comments on poor service,housekeeping and wear and tear? Not much point in seeing the same reviews met with the same replies with not much improvement. I'm seriously regretful after booking for a prepaid stay.

• Stayed November 2012
Hebe Lu FOM S, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, August 5, 2013

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Once we received the feedback, we always share all information with our management team and take the action immediately. Therefore May I know more details about your last stay? Could you please contact me via email: fom@sofitelchengdu.com.