“Very nice respite”

Ranked #17 of 2,686 Hotels in Chengdu
Cleveland, Ohio
“Very nice respite”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed 2 nights. It was nice to return to the 21st century after spending time in Zhangjiajie. The property is tired (stained carpet, chipped drawer in bathroom), but the night scape of Chengdu from our 18th floor room was absolutely spectacular!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the city (not the river) have the best nighttime view. Absolutely amazing!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hebe Lu FOM S, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Wanda Chengdu. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I visited this hotel during my recent stay in Chengdu.
The door staff seem disinterested in (foreign) visitors, although the lady at Reception was very pleasant and helpful.

Lounge staff (especially Summer) really make an effort to please, and she managed to get me a selection plate of cheeses which was not on the menu. Well done!

Trying to get a taxi afterwards was an 'inconvenience' to the security/parking guy; the bell boys had disappeared.

I doubt whether I'd visit this hotel again, even though I am ACCOR PLATINUM.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hebe Lu FOM S, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, June 19, 2013

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We will continue to training our Conciage staff, and improve our service standar. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 5, 2013

While attending the Fortune conference I stayed at this hotel for two nights. While the size of the room was good, the hotel is tired. The carpet is old and the room had a strong smell of smoke.

When heading out to dinner I left a towel on the floor and came back in the evening to find it in a pile next to the sink.

A good location and the staff try very hard to provide a good service.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a non smoking room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank windquest
Hebe Lu FOM S, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, June 8, 2013

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem, we will do more training to our staff and prevent future occurrence.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights for a business conference. Hotel was clean, near spotless, as was the room. Good amount of drawer and storage space for putting things away. Bath had both roomy shower and separate tub. Rooms seemed rather quit, never heard outside noise in the room except minimal level at window.

The only very minor issue would be the bed. The matress seemed quite firm, so much so I would wake up 3-4 times due to an ache. It wasn't that it was that bad, it's just I'm more used to top padding.

Otherwise I'd have absolutely no issues staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Hebe Lu FOM S, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, May 29, 2013

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Hebe LU
Sofitel Luxury Hotels
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I attended a technical conference here in late May. I usually stay at Shangri Las and Marriotts and after reading the reviews on this hotel I was unnecessarily apprehensive.

The cleanliness and service were on a par with anywhere in China. And if the employees keep their good attitudes and continue to work as hard as I saw them work then l would expect that in a few years they will be level with the best hotels anywhere. Yes, they are still ways off from this but think back to what it was like 5 years or 10 years ago. I think the air is even getting better. Certainly the noise pollution is greatly reduced since they converted all the 2-stroke scooters to battery power.

When I am in China I don't like to go out of the hotel in the evening. The Sofitel in Chengdu makes it easy to stay in with nice rooms, employees who will always smile as they stumble through responding in English to guests who refuse to learn even a few words of Chinese and TVs with a couple of good English language channels.

Not going out at night is ridiculous in Chengdu because it is a lovely and vibrant city with good food and friendly people. Unfortunately it is like every Chinese city in that the streets are ruled by rude and incompetent drivers who seem to have no inhibitions about running over grandmothers and small children.

Room Tip: I was upgraded to a suite. More frequent travellers tell me there is a correlation to whether or no...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sofitel Wanda Chengdu on your recent visit to the city and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide superior levels of service to all guests; therefore your feedback is very important to us and we thank you again for providing it.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and hope that your next visit with us will be as pleasing as the previous one.

Yours sincerely,

Hebe Lu
Sofitel Wanda Chengdu
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Good hotel in a good location, service is haphazard; two unneccesary issues with our bill that were resolved after we prompted. But a pleasant room. Taxi drivers in chengdu will frequently get foreigners to pay a flat fee as opposed to the meter (of course the passenger pays more), this is of course not the hotels fault, but conceirge staff should discourage taxi drivers from pushing this on guests at the front of the hotel. You should be looking after your guests and not encouraging an illegal activity.

• Stayed April 2013
Hebe Lu FOM S, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Wanda Chengdu. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. I will share your comments and suggestions with our management, and I'm sure it will help us to improve our service.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns and suggestions, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Hebe Lu
Sofitel Wanda Chengdu
Melbourne
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stay pretty much exclusively at Sofitel hotels and I am very happy with the service and quality. The Sofitel Chengdu is in a good location, has great rooms and is up to the standard. Unfortunately I had some food troubles during my stay. These revolved around food. We found the room service food arrive fairly cold, and one night we attempted to eat at the Chinese restaurant on site. My wife and I went for dinner, ordered our meals, once our meals arrived, parts of the food were still frozen. We left and I spoke to the services manager, I was told the Chinese restaurant was no longer run by the Sofitel but was run by a 3rd party. We were advised to eat at the Sofitel restaurant where my wife waited about 30 minutes for a cheese and ham sandwich. Overall a great hotel but letdown a little by the food options.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Hebe Lu FOM S, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, May 7, 2013