“Artistic licence”

Sofitel Chengdu Taihe
Ranked #18 of 2,747 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed April 3, 2013

One thing you can rely on in a Sofitel is great Art and the Sofitel Wanda is no exception. The vase displayed in my room looked great but pity about the grubby looking carpet. Apart from the carpet the room was comfortable and well designed and the bathroom was excellent. Still some work to do in training the staff I fear. A little smile from the receptionist after a long journey always cheers me up but I wasn't cheered up this time. One young lady standing at the entrance to the Lounge Bar totally blanked me and I began to wonder if I had just greeted a guest by mistake. She did work there, however, selling the cakes. With plenty of frosting it appears,

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Hebe Lu FOM S, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. We regret to read that your family did not enjoy their stay with us.

As a Front Office Manager, It also makes me extremely embarrassed and unhappy to see that our team didn't offer you friendly service with warm smile.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide an exclusive service experience for every guest; therefore your feedback is very important to us. For those reasons, please allow us to express our sincerest apologies in regards to the inconveniences caused.

We will look closely into the issues you have brought to light and allow us to get back to you very shortly.

Yours sincerely,

Front Office Manager
Sofitel Wanda Chengdu

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Beautiful rooms in a nice location. Service however to me has always been important when staying in a hotel and this is where the hotel failed badly. The employees are happy talking among themselves and don't care about their guests.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank boonmichael

Yours sincerely,

Front Office Manager
Softitel Wanda Chengdu

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed here for a week and were upgraded to a corner room, from which we had lovely views of the city. The hotel itself is nice, but as has been suggested by other reviews, the service is lacking for a Sofitel hotel. For example, we ordered room service three times for breakfast, it took at least 45 minutes each time, and they never got the orders anywhere close to correct. I think that a lot of this was due to miscommunication (our Chinese is not good), so if you speak Chinese well, this might be less of a problem. Overall, it is a nice hotel for the price.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hebe Lu FOM S, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem. we will send your feed back to our management team and make exactly action to resolve the problem .

Reviewed March 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I arrived here on march 11th, I had booked it thinking it would be a fab 5 star and a lovely place to spend our anniversary.

I was so disappointed.

We had stayed in a 5star at Christmas and in comparison this wasn't a 3star!

So initially on arriving it looked nice, although right beside It theres a lot of construction work going on, but granted we couldn't hear any of that!

The Concierge desk is inside the door, but he didn't bother to open it for us or offer to take our bags, although I would have politely refused as we are young and well capable, it would have been nice to be asked!

Anyway, then we were given our room keys by a lovely woman named Doris, popped up to our room and omg I would have been mortified to have checked someone into that room. It was god awful, the carpet was filthy, the small window sofa was disgusting just everything was grubby and small. And it smelt awful, which made sense seen as the windows were locked shut.
I promptly took myself off down to Doris and explained politely that the room was shameful, she kindly ungraded us to a suite, although the size was great and the bathroom was lovely the rest of the room was seriously outdated and grubby. However we were very grateful to have received a better room, still not up to 5star standard though.

Popped down to look at the pool and gym, again much more desirable looking online, and sauna and jacuzzi for men only? Hmm strange!
Also availed of the hair dressing service on the 5th floor, 88rmb for an up style, not a great price but I was pleased with the look.

Breakfast we had on one morning, there was a good selection and it was nice too.

Location- 15 min to the walking street with shops etc so that was fine.

Also asked to pay for the room in full on arrival then on check out I was presented with another small bill, which was the room surcharge, which was rather annoying seen as I thought we had it all paid in full!
Would I stay again? Absolutely not. Nor will we have any desire to try another Sofitel branch.

However we still had a fab anniversary!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lok1
Hebe Lu FOM S, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Wanda Chengdu. I am sorry that your experience did not meet at all your expectations, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

As a Front Office Manager it makes me extremely embarrassed and unhappy to see that my Concierge and Reception team didn't follow the basics such as "Attention to details", "Quality", "Guest Satisfaction and the Sofitel brand standards".

For your other comments, I will share with our related department head to make exactly action to resolve the problem.

As your feedback is very important to us, I can guarantee you that we are taking immediately the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence in reinforcing the training at all levels.

It is my hope,that you will reconsider your decision and give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Hotel are located are very good location. room rate are good but both service and management are not considerate.

Toilet system was making user feel nervous because you will need to think it good eoungh for flush all stuff out.

Door man has no intension to offer taxi for you.

Buffet has no inidication of different juice, so you will need to taste it then specifiy the juice by different color.

You will be disappoint if you wish to have a sofitel standard.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Quality Manager S, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for your kind feedback and we do take your review comments very seriously.

We have reviewed the issues with concerned departments.We regret not meeting your expectations during your stay with us. We are making efforts on the training of our team to ensure we achieve our goal of delivering a high standard of service and quality throughout our hotel.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to serve you with the quality improvements on your future visit to Chengdu.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

After 4 days in Harbin this hotel was like paradise. The bedrooms are top draw and well furnished. Good to have some western food after a long time even though it was basic. Slight problem with some restaurant staff who seem to be under training and got a few orders wrong, but they did try their best. Great hotel I would go there again. Question... Why do hotels in China offer fre wifi but in western hotels I have to pay?

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Quality Manager S, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thanks for staying at Sofitel Wanda Chengdu, also thanks for your positive comments on our hotel.

We will conduct more trainings regarding to restaurant service, in order to delivering a high professional standard of service and quality throughout our hotel.

We hope you will be equally satisfied on your next stay with our improved service, and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I would not rate it as a five star hotel due to the average service offered by the various (polite) staff I encounterd. It is located about 30 minutes away from Chengdu Aiport by taxi (traffic was not heavy). Around half the floors are non-smoking, a small gym is located on the fifth floor, equipment slightly outdated. The gym's heating cannot be turned off. The heated indoor pool is nice, around 15m long, but the cramped changing room is a little disappointing. Oddly enough the spa and jacuzzi is for men only and ladies have to make do without one. Both the gym and pool is opened until midnight. The breakfast buffet is average with the usual western and Chinese choices of food.
There is a large supermarket (Carrefour) located north of the hotel, a 15 minute walk away on Jinxing Road. Another 10 minute walk and there is a huge pedestrian walkway full of shopping centres on Chunxi Road, dotted with small local snack shops.
It is not such a bad hotel but it is not up to the usual Sofitel standards, I cannot say I will stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Quality Manager S, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Thanks for your kind feedback and we do take your comments very seriously.

We have reviewed the issues with concerned departments, in terms of our gym facilities, breakfast variety and quanlity, plus our service. We are making efforts to enhance and reach the standard of our service by more solid and specific trainings and daily supervision, in order to delivering a high standard of service and quality throughout our hotel.

We sincerely hope you to consider to let us have the opportunity to serve you with the quality improvements again on your future visit to Chengdu.