“Nice quality hotel off the river”

Sofitel Chengdu Taihe
Ranked #17 of 2,652 Hotels in Chengdu
Seattle, Washington
“Nice quality hotel off the river”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Located off the river and bit off the main road in downtown Chengdu.

Location:
Sofitel is in an ok location, close by the river.
Close enough to walk to the old town and it was relaxing walking along the river, seeing the locals exercise.
No subway station nearby though.

Rooms:
Room was smokey so we had to ask for another.
Room itself was ok, not really up to 5 star standards but it wasnt a bad room and we got a good rate on it.

Service:
Service staff were nice and friendly.
Knew the area well and showed us how to get around.

Overall:
Had a nice stay at the Sofitel and wouldnt mind returning to it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Maie C, Public Relations Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for staying at Sofitel Wanda Chengdu.

We do appreciate you taking your time to share your experience at Sofitel Wanda Chengdu. Your positive comments regarding our location, Rooms and Service is much appreciated. There is a Subway Station for Line 1 about 5 minutes walk away from our hotel - we hope our team can give you directions to this subway station and it will be helpful for your next stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back and extending Sofitel Wanda Chengdu's high standards of luxury hospitality to you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

Location is convinient for going to the AirPort and Panda research. We really experted better from Sofitel... We were upgraded in Suite Room (which is nice). We were really disappointed : really dirty, dirty fitted, hair of the last client in the bathroom and toilet, cockroaches, moisture in the bathroom, no wireless, many light bulbes didn't work...
The most disappointing was the time of the breakfast. Everything has to be ready at 6.30am... And at 6.45am nothing ! When you have to leave early for the airport and you pay such a price, you expert everything is ready for 6.30am. According the counter, normally it is ready for 6.20am... Our feeling is that there is no GM who is checking this hotel (Time of breakfast, cleaning...) which is not in the standards of Accor and Sofitel !

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MademoiselleAmandine
, Public Relations Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thanks for your time to write the review on our hotel and we are so sorry about your unpleasant experience in our hotel. We take your review very seriously in order to enhance our service and quality. We have reviewed the important issues regarding the breakfast and cleaning with our Housekeeping and Food & Beverage Teams and hope you will experience the quality improvements on your future stay with us.
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

At the check-in I asked for non-smoking, but finally got smoking one I could actually smell when entering the room. Trusting in the quality of the 5 star hotel, I did not even ask for confirmation from the check-in, but blamed myself I might be too sensitive to the smell. I could not manage to sleep until early next morning to see 2 ashtrays and matches in the room! The service center told me, "it is sometimes smoking, sometimes non- smoking sir!"

I then called the Asst.Manager without any better solution because non- smoking room was fully booked. She offered me a room with more expensive room rate on a non-smoking floor, but it was too complicated to settle additional fees due to different booking systems. It was understandable. She then told me I can cancel the second night, but I need to contact the travel agency by my own.

I went out for a meeting, asked my assistant to cancel the 2nd night room, called the hotel 2 times if there was any room available, but NO. I came to the hotel to check out, and one staff told me I can get a non-smoking room. I agreed to proceed. It took us about 30 mins to fix the settlement issues. Finally I gave up and accepted the risk of double payments to both the hotel, and the travel agency, rushed to several afternoon meetings before coming back very late to enjoy a good sleep on the very comfortable Sofitel bed set. Its bed, bed sheet and pillow are of great value.

The Gym is quite old, its machines are outdated and are not well-maintained. Do not expect any attention from the Gym staff, not even say hi, or bye, or even eye-contact. The swimming pool is nice.

Note that I am a regular traveler to China with more than 20 business trips a year, and also a mandarin speaker.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Pipit A
Thank you for your feedback and we do take your review comments very seriously. Please accept our sincere apologies for your unpleasant experience in our hotel. Our priority is to delivery a high standard of service and quality throughout our hotel and we are making much effort to improve the training and supervision of our team. We sincerely hope you have the opportunity to experience our improved quality on your future stay.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

This is my third time staying in this hotel, I will defintely come back. Decent room size with nice decor and excellent service.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at Sofitel Wanda Chengdu.

We do appreciate you taking your time to share your pleasant experience at Sofitel Wanda Chengdu. Your positive comments regarding our facility is much appreciated.
Chengdu, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed in room 2012, and bed is as soft as I prefer. Many options in minibar. It`s wiring internet instead of wifi and the wire is short which is not impossible when I tryed to use laptop in bed. However, it`s an old hotel and I understand. Lobby smells great and I like their idea that using candle in the lobby at night. Staff of Front were kind and helpful, especially bellboy. Thanks for calling taix on time for me and I didn`t miss my flight. You should know how difficult to get a taxi in Chengdu especially in downtown area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Maie C, Public Relations Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write the review for our hotel. Our candle ritual is one of our French touches that add to your luxury experience. In particular your comments about the excellent service from staff of front desk are much appreciated. It certainly is a pleasure to know that our efforts are recognized. We hope you will be equally satisfied on your next stay and look forward to welcoming you back.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

This hotel is well located in Chengdu. It sparkles from the front door throughout. The check in was quick and the staff very helpful in my plans for visiting the Panda exhibition facility. The room was substantial and well maintained. The restaurants provided excellent food. The only problem struck was that English language skills could be improved - some staff are excellent but some struggled leading to misunderstandings - but in all cases the people involved tried very hard and were apologetic about the mixups. This problem will gradually disappear over time -as I always say if I could speak as much Chinese as they speak EnglishI would be very happy!

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the road are quieter