All reviews metro station electric curtains great hotel high floor sitting area free upgrade central location upgraded room hotpot restaurant hot pot restaurant three nights chinese options excellent stay front desk staff nice room tianfu square noodles
Selected filters
Reviewed March 7, 2018

The room was big cum with a living room / dressing room and bathroom with big bathtub. The only comment is room was too hot, we couldn’t turn the heating down, so we have to open the window and let the cool air in. The receptionist and bell boy very good. Convenient location 1 min to metro, Great Buffet Breakfast.

Date of stay: December 2017
DorsettIntl_COMM, Communications at Dorsett Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2018

Dear Guatleng,

Thank you for the great review and rating.

We are glad that your enjoyed the stay. Issue on the air conditioner will be shared with the respective department and rest assured that corrective measure will be taken on this.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and hope to be in service to you again.

Reviewed February 12, 2018

It's an hotel in China where they speak Chinese. I write this because a four star hotel should offer plenty of good English speaking staff but this is China and I have been to other European countries where hotels of this rating are far worse in this regard. I had no communication problems with a really nice bunch of young staff including a lady chef who greets me with a wave as well as a smile. I have had better breakfast setups. That said the 2nd floor breakfast dining area is huge and offers a fantastic selection in a lovely environment with friendly, smiling (rare in China and out of the question on China Airline), helpful staff. My only complaint, if it is a complaint, is that the Englishman's breakfast selection isn't as hot as it should be. Again, this is China and for the 'Englishman' they will make to order fried, scrambled and omelette while the boiled eggs along with bacon, hash browns, some odd sausages (not for me) and sometimes, potato wedges are already at hand. All the usual stuff is there and bountiful, along with pastries and absolutely first class made in house crusty 'French' bread. As for the Chinese my Chinese wife came back with plates of fruit, vegetables and pretty much everything a Chinese person could want for breakfast. My room. Large and very cosy refuge in which we were very comfortable and happy. Having read other reviews I can say that we had no smells. The shower was great, with blasting water pressure. There was no bog brush. Bit odd. Bathroom experience thus excellent. Bed, great; with the softest sheets and pillows. Large. Room, in my opinion, could benefit from a or stronger lighting but look, £45. Please, this is steal considering what it offers and its location. NB we bought a China Telecom SIM and used their UBA, particularly having found that our taxis trunk could only accommodate one suitcase. The Uber cars are cheaper and by and large, more comfortable, coming right to you from your telephones sat. position. Back to the hotel, very late Room service was perfectly satisfactory with good attempts at European nosh (I had a lasagne, my wife, fruit). I would not recommend the 6th floor dinner. Bit limited. Translations not the greatest. Ah, quietness. We were 3415 and three nights of absolute silence about us. Almost unnerving in my experience and quite wonderful. Internet, as I have read, bit grim in our particular location. Carpet and room very clean and well cleaned during our stay. Also read, heat in the room, it was hot so we turned it off. Bingo: perfect (February). I can't think of anything else. I liked the place very much. I felt at home and was extremely comfortable. Give to others and you'll receive it back (except with China Airline's miserable flight staff). If I return I'll book in again.

Room tip: Not near a place where folks congregate. C's don't appear to know or think that others might not want to hear them jabbering at volume.
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shaun J
DorsettIntl_COMM, Communications at Dorsett Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2018

Dear JonahJarvis,

Thank you so much for sharing the great review with us.

We are glad that you enjoyed the overall stay with us. This is always our motto to serve our guests with the utmost excellence customer service. We noted on the comments pertaining to the English breakfast and the room temperature. Rest assured that the management will take corrective measure on these matters.

Thank you once again, Jonah for your great compliments and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed February 3, 2018 via mobile

I stood at the hotel for 4 nights. The staff spoke English, which was surprising for Chengdu. The room was big and included everything I needed but the light carpet was very dirty. Also the bathroom was not clean with mud and many black hairs on the floor. That really needs to be changed!

Trip type: Traveled with family
DorsettIntl_COMM, Communications at Dorsett Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2018

Dear Helene M,

Thank you for the kind review.

Well noted on your comments for the cleanliness. We will surely ensure that the team is well briefed on this and rectification to be taken.

Thank you once again for writing to us. Looking forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed January 31, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights in January, and were disappointed as the hotel looked much nicer in photos. The room was so hot, we couldn’t turn the heating down so we were very uncomfortable. The only staff that we found that spoke much English were the ones at the front desk, so every time we wanted anything delivered to our room we had to call the front desk to get them to arrange with housekeeping/room service as after many attempts, they just couldn’t understand us. This is to be expected however it’s just something to note. The wifi was TERRIBLE. Ridiculously slow. So frustrating. It was like being back on dial up. Kind of gave up on it in the end.
The lift was also terribly slow, slowest lift I’ve ever been in in my life. When you’re going up 19 floors, it gets painful waiting so long. Staff were really lovely and helpful though, aside from the language barrier which is to be expected, absolutely no complaints with the service from the staff. One great thing was a map the hotel provided with significant places to visit in Chengdu, which explained the destination in English and Chinese, so by pointing to the location on the map and giving it to the taxi, it was very easy to get around. We found some amazing places because of that map. Location is good. Plenty of necessities nearby. But we were definitely happy to leave as it just didn’t compare to the other hotels we stayed in in China and with this star rating, I expected more and personally wouldn’t stay here again.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear Jasmine W,

Thank you for writing to us.

We have reviewed your kind comments with our fellow team members. Rest assured that we will look into the matters of air-conditioner as well as the WiFi connection. As for the language proficiency, we are conducting training to the team members so that they can converse well with the guests.

Many thanks for the compliment of the staff service. We look forward to your next stay with us for us to be in better service to you, Jasmine.

Reviewed January 29, 2018

This is the second time I stayed in Dorsett Grand. The room rate has been increased a lot.
Same as before, I like the convenient location. My room was clean with strong Wifi, and there was central heating, but there was a little smell from the bathroom. I suspected that this was due to the poor water drainage. Besides, the flushing power was too weak, I always needed to put extra water into the toilet bowl manually.
The service of reception was fair; there was room to be improved.
Overall, it is a good hotel, and most probably I will still choose it for my next trip to Chengdu.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
DorsettIntl_COMM, other at Dorsett Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2018

Dear A_VisitorJ,

Thank you for sharing this review with us.

We will definitely look into the matters of water drainage and the toilet flushing power as mentioned. Rest assured that this will be rectified by the team.

Thank you once again for your second visit to our hotel. Hope to see you again.