“take it or leave it”

Mike's Pizza Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 3,120 Restaurants in Chengdu
Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Shenzhen, China
“take it or leave it”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

I really did like the food, just a shame the owner is extremely rude and has no interest in helping customers. Its a shame because we tipped well to the workers. Despite the pizza being okay for China , ill think twice before spending my hard earned money again.

• Visited February 2014
10 Thank melissa k
Mikes_Pizza_Kitchen, Owner at Mike's Pizza Kitchen, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
For the people at home: I asked Melissa to be more specific, but she was unwilling to do so. I guess that means I’ll have to fill you in on the details. What happened was, they called us one night at 8:47pm and wanted to order a pizza delivery to their house, which is 3.2km away from our restaurant. My wife was very nice and polite on the phone, but firm. We close at 9:00pm and we can’t send out deliveries that close to our closing time. The cut off time for people who are over 3km away is 8:30. This has been our policy for several years and we have not had any problems. Most people are very kind and understanding and make an effort to call before their appropriate cutoff time. So when Melissa accuses my wife of being “extremely rude” and “having no interest in helping customers” what she really means is that she wanted us to make an exception just for her and was upset when she didn’t get her way and so she decided to try to take me down a rank on Tripadvisor.

I should also mention that her husband was also so upset about us not giving him special treatment that he sent me two very angry emails complaining about this same incident.

For Melissa: I’m curious, Melissa, how many hours a day do you work? My wife and I work 12 hours almost every day. Sometimes more, like tonight, where I am awake at 3:43am trying to protect my reputation on Tripadvisor. (I also had to make ice cream tonight…chocolate and rocky road…if you weren’t too busy boycotting me I’d tell you to try a scoop. We use a creamy custard base, only imported milks and creams, and imported French cocoa.) And how many days a week do you work, Melissa? My wife and I work at the restaurant 6 days a week, but there is always something we have to take care of on our day off, so we are really working 7 days a week. Let me also ask you, Melissa, do you get days off for May Day and National Day and all those other holidays? We don’t. My point is, Melissa, that we work pretty hard. We’re willing to do it, because we love what we do, but because we are human beings we are limited by those pesky little needs like sleep and wanting to have a few hours to ourselves every night. Even though we stop taking dine-in orders at 9:00pm, and delivery orders at 8:00, 8:15, 8:30 and 8:45 depending on where you live, after we close for the night we still have to prepare for the next day. Usually we get out of the restaurant a bit before 11:00pm, tonight it was closer to 11:30.

So why, with the knowledge that my wife and I are already putting in these kind of hours, do you want to force us to work extra time and send out a late delivery just because you couldn’t call before your cutoff time like everyone else? What makes you so special, Melissa? Don’t you think it’s a bit selfish and unfair to expect us to completely circumvent our policies and add to our already long days just because you can’t be bothered to call before 8:30pm?

When we first opened, over 3 years ago, we were open until 10:00pm. Why did that change, you ask? Well, Melissa, it changed for 2 reasons. First of all, there weren’t that many orders after 9:00pm. It simply wasn’t worth it. Secondly, one day after we had sent my employees out on late deliveries I learned that they had to spend the night in a hotel. You see, Melissa, most of my delivery people are students and the universities in China expect students to be in their dorm before 10:00pm. If they don’t get back on time, they are locked out and have to find another place to sleep. I was mortified when I learned that this had been going on and they hadn’t told me. Of course, I immediately changed the closing time to 9:00pm and we do our best to make sure all our delivery people who have to catch buses back to school can get out the door in a timely manner. In order to do this, we have to cutoff the delivery times according to distance and we request, and in every case except yours, receive cooperation and compassion from our customers.

The fact is, Melissa, every business on the planet has hours of operation. When you arrive at the bank 17 minutes late, do you go online and write scathing reviews that express your resentment of the fact that a bank had the unmitigated gall to close their doors before you were ready?

So now that we got that out of the way, I have to ask you why you feel the need to lie? To call my wife rude is a boldfaced lie and you know it. I heard every word of that conversation and she was as nice and as pleasant as any human being could possibly be. Scroll down all these other reviews and have a look at how many people have commented on what a joy she is to talk to on the phone. Apparently, your definition of rude is anyone who doesn’t do exactly what you want them to do?

And to say we have no interest in helping people is another boldfaced lie. We bend over backwards helping people all the time. How many other businesses in Chengdu is the phone always answered by one of the owners? Both of whom speak perfect English? We could hire a college student and pay them minimum wage to answer phones, but we want to make sure there is no miscommunication. How many other restaurants in Chengdu are there in which the owners are always present and, in my case, physically making the food with their own two hands? We do everything possible to help our customers in every way.

When customers call us and they don’t know how to tell us where they live in Chinese, we will have our delivery people meet them at a landmark, follow them to their door and save the address so that they can order easily after that.

When people live outside of our delivery range we will meet them at subway stops and coffee shops so they can still get pizza delivered. For people coming in from out of town, we help recommend hotels within our delivery range.

We remember gate codes so that our customers don’t have to come downstairs every time the pizza arrives. (Does that sound familiar, Melissa?)

We remember personalised orders and accommodate dietary restrictions.

In American Garden a lot of the buildings and doors are not marked and a lot of our customers there had no way of knowing their building and apartment numbers, so my wife drove down there personally and made a map for our delivery people to make sure our customers got their pizzas in a timely and painless manner.

When customers call us with large orders, we do everything possible work them in to our already busy schedule. I gave up my lunch hour today to make 20 pizzas for the QSI students, and you say we have no interest in helping customers?

We do whatever it takes to make sure we have all the ingredients for everything on our menu. When our shipment of sun-dried tomatoes didn’t arrive in time, we went to Carrefour and bought their super expensive sun-dried tomatoes and just took a loss on that particular ingredient because we didn’t want to disappoint our customers who trust us to have their favourite toppings.

We have had customers call us and ask us to help their mailman find their house, since we are the only ones who could, and we were more than willing to help our customers in this way.

These are just a few examples of things that we do, and love to do, because we are interested in helping our customers. All that we ask in return is that you respect our time and plan ahead a little bit.

I have to conclude, Melissa, by saying that I feel your review was very unfair, untrue, selfish and immature. I hope that, after reading this, you will remove the review on your own and just remember to call before 8:30. I am also going to request that Tripadvisor remove it because of its blatant untruth, and also in combination with the angry emails that your husband has been sending me it really seems like you are more interested in engaging in a smear campaign against my wife and myself than anything else. This type of review is unproductive and completely irrelevant to other travellers.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chengdu, China
“Only place for pizza”
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

We work outside Chengdu, visiting most weekends. Our first stop is always Mike's even before checking in. Stuffed Big Bad Wolf is my favourite.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Dorothy N
“Pizza pizza”
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Love Mike's. Some really original pizzas, artisan style and friendly atmosphere. I highly recommend the buffalo pizza, or the red riding hood. Pizzas are all hand made too. Just wish they offered delivery to my area for lunch. Also, the review below me went to some other restaurant, not Mike's! Not a clue where he/she went, but there's no way someone went to Mike's and didn't get the service they wanted in English or Chinese! Go Mike's

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Alex B
Sanya, China
“Best Pizza in Chengdu”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Seriously the best pizza in Chengdu. Handmade at the time you order. The Mad Buffalo is LEGIT and so is the Goldilocks! I'm outside of the delivery range but it's worth a ride on my e-bike to pick it up. It's light years better than Pizza Hut and Papa Johns. The dine-in experience is a little tricky because of the limited space and during the summer it gets HOT in there...but, for delivery or carry-out, there is NEVER a hesitation for me and my family. I love it!

Cameron

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank cgstrange
Stockholm, Sweden
“They were real lifesavers.”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed in chengdu for awhile and it was always comforting to know that Mike and his wife were working hard and always there. Mike's wife always answered the phone in English, and the deliveries were always at my door in the time they promised. They saved my address so I only had to tell them where I lived once. The pizza is better fresh from oven, but the place is small.

• Visited March 2014