“David on Tour”

Ranked #26 of 2,703 Hotels in Chengdu
Cartagena, Spain
“David on Tour”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Very nice hotel in a good location with lots of restaurants close by. This is an all suite hotel, when we checked in we were given a nice sized suite but when we entered it smelt and there was a large wet stain on the floor by the bathroom. I called reception and a manager came and immediately moved us to a larger two room suite and apologised profusely. Great service, no argument just fixed the problem and upgraded the client that's how it should be done.
When you book here they give you breakfast but only one per room, very odd the second guest has to pay. But, when you do you will find one of the very best breakfast selections you will ever see absolutely fabulous. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Raymond M, General Manager at Rhombus Park Aura Chengdu Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear David,
Thanks a lot for your extremely kind comments, from yourself as a seasoned traveler they mean a lot. Obviously I would prefer if mistakes not happen, but I was delighted to know our philosophy of empowering the duty managers to make almost any adjustment necessary to rectify any issue affecting your comfort and stay in a negative way. We believe that you not only need us to listen to any problems but we need to take immediate action if something has gone wrong to put it right. Good to hear this happened in practice. I was also happy to hear you enjoyed the breakfast, Chef's efforts are being rewarded and he will be delighted to read your comments. On the room rates, we do provide rates without breakfast, or with 1 or 2 breakfasts. Not sure from where you booked the room, but next time please do contact me directly at gm@rhombuschengdu.com and I will be happy to take care of your booking personally. Kind regards and hope to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed May 31, 2014

So much space in the rooms!english tv channels and a coffee maker. Comfortable bed. The hotel will buy your train tickets for you for 20 yuan service fee per ticket and deliver to room. Amazing selection at breakfast!waffles and pancakes along with all the typical Chinese food...top class!
Easy to hail a taxi and they taxis in chengdu are metered and all the same...bargin with them for longer trips-70 yuan at most to panda sanctuary and 30 min drive

• Stayed May 2014
Raymond M, General Manager at Rhombus Park Aura Chengdu Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Gwen,
Thanks very much for taking the time to leave us this note on your stay. We are proud you enjoyed our fabulous rooms and had a good nights sleep. Our whole team read these comments and I know when they hear such kind words it motivates them to care and provide even better service. So glad you enjoyed our breakfast as this is a most personal meal and the balance is difficult to strike to please everyone but our chef's try really hard. For any visitors coming to Chengdu, it is a different China, the most laid back and non-aggressive people and I am happy you got to see that and enjoyed exploring our city. I hope you had a safe onward journey and we get the chance to welcome you to a Rhombus Hotel again soon! Best regards, Raymond Moore
London
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights - first night in a regular room and second 2 nights in a suite with separate seating area. Good beds and linen, amazing shower.
We used the hotel spa for a massage which was enjoyable - the room we used had a hole/damage to one part of the ceiling which was a little unsightly but otherwise the spa area was calm and relaxing.
Disappointed hotel pool is only open May-Oct - weather was good and a swim would have been nice.
Breakfast was a good selection and tasty. We ate in the hotel the first night as my friend was very jet lagged. Food was fine, service was rubbish. So many other options close by rather do that.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Raymond M, General Manager at Rhombus Park Aura Chengdu Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear lovetravel29,
I can see from your contributor profile that you are an experienced traveller making regular contributions, especially in Asia. This lends your comments added value and I thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. On behalf of the entire team we are proud you enjoyed the Hotel, the food and our friendly staff. Obviously we are constantly in ongoing training to improve and it with comments such as yours that we can focus on doing so.
Thank you for pointing out the small hole in the spa room ceiling, that is far below our standard and it will be immediately repaired. I agree the weather has been unusally warmer this spring but due to safety checks, appointment of lifeguards, and measures for water quality & purity, I hope you can understand, we are unable to open the pool in short notice. It will be open on schedule for May 1st, and I do hope you have the opportunity to visit us again to try it out. Furthermore I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to a Rhombus Hotel in the near future. For an reservations please do contact me directly to assist at gm@rhombuschengdu.com for the most favourable rates! Warm regards, Raymond
Aberdeen
Reviewed March 29, 2014

The rooms are awesome here. Loads of space, lots of nice detail, superb bathroom and shower, comfy beds. Only a couple of negatives, the wifi wasnt great, alright for browsing but I had numerous connection issues when contacting home. For me, that's a big black mark and cost the hotel a five star review. I also booked the hotel because it had a pool but this seemed to be closed which was a little disappointing. The food in the hotel was pretty mediocre too but that's far less of an issue. If they get stronger wifi, this would easily be a perfect place for a few days business.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank NorthEastBeast
Raymond M, General Manager at Rhombus Park Aura Chengdu Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear NorthEastBeast,
Thank you so much for taking the time out to review your recent stay with us. We are proud of our facilities and the fact that we have some of the best and most comfortable rooms in Chengdu. Your point on the Wi-fi is well taken and we are in the process of replacing the whole system with a much faster and more efficient network. I am sure you will find it to your satisfaction on your next trip. Once again thanks for taking the time to let us know.
Warm regards
Raymond
Leeds UK
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Nice hotel which is 5 minutes walk from Chunxi Road shopping and 15 minutes walk from Tianfu Square. There's a metro station nearby and the river with all its bars and restaurants is only a short walk away. Our room was very spacious with separate living area, fantastic bathroom, 2nd toilet etc. Very comfortable bed indeed!

The area is safe, although there is quite a lot of construction work going on nearby. Fortunately this finishes at 6pm every day so there is no noise to disturb you overnight. We did not eat in the restaurant in the evening, but the breakfast was of a good standard with both western and Chinese dishes available.

I like a cigar once in a while and they were happy to provide a smoking room. My wife particularly liked the foot massager machine in the room :-)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Raymond M, General Manager at Rhombus Park Aura Chengdu Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Alex,
Thank you for your very kind words and taking the time to review your recent stay at our home and Hotel. Indeed all our rooms are suites, large and spacious from 50 sq metres to 135 sq metres, and we are delighted to know you enjoyed your time in our Hotel, Home and Chengdu City. We look forward to seeing you again soon on your next trip to Chengdu or at any of our other Rhombus Hotels! Next time don't hesitate to contact me directly for your booking gm@rhombuschengdu.com

Warm regards! Raymond
Chengdu, China
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Rhombus Fantasia Chengdu Hotel is in a truly fabulous location.... in a truly burgeoning Chinese City!!
Location-wise it's situated minutes from some of the best shopping opportunities in the World.
Renmin at times feels like Rodeo Drive - Los Angeles, meets Chapel Street - Melbourne, meets Champs Elysees, Paris.
Rhombus Fantasia Chengdu strives to be one of the many Arts Hotels in the World. I'm posting this review from 'Soulmate' Restaurant where the food is extraordinary, the wine (and I'm drinking the 'house' variety) and the entertainment, is worthy of accolades.
I'm here to do work but I've many amazing distractions...one of which is the bath in my room (bigger than my apartment in Melbourne!!) - there's room enough for two, even three, people! And the Hermes products? well, it's tough, NOT!!!
If you visit Chengdu you simply must stay here, you won't be disappointed :)

Room Tip: They're all good... but go for the room where the baths have a view!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Raymond M, General Manager at Rhombus Park Aura Chengdu Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Fxponential,
Thank you on behalf of my entire team for your gracious comments on your stay with us at Rhombus Chengdu! We are delighted to read of your experience and enjoyment of your time in our Hotel, Home and Chengdu City. Naturally we agree with all you said wholeheartedly, and look forward to seeing you again soon on your next trip to Chengdu or at any of our other Rhombus Hotels!
Warmest regards!
Shanghai
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This really is a hotel with 2 sides. I will start with the good. The rooms are great. They are very big, modern and comfortable. The only criticism I can give the rooms is that perhaps one or two of the features seem more gimmicky than functional but this is a very small issue. The rooms really are great.

And now for the rest. The lobby is small and underwhelming and at check in the staff spoke just enough English to get the job done but no more. Breakfast is very disappointing and not even close to the standards of the rest of the hotel. It is about 50% Western food and 50% Chinese. As much as I love Chinese food i'm sorry but I don't want it for breakfast, and the western breakfast really isn't very good. The coffee is terrible.

An important tip if you stay here is DO NOT USE THE TAXIS THAT WAIT OUTSIDE. They are looking for tourists and will try and rip you off and refuse to use the meter. Instead hail a passing taxi, this is not normally difficult.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Raymond M, General Manager at Rhombus Park Aura Chengdu Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Toasty11,
Thank you for your coments regarding your stay with us. We take your positive comments and say thank you, we appreciate you enjoyed the rooms being large and well fitted.
As an international Hotel our team needs to communicate very well in English and since January this year have a European English Teacher working with us full time. Your point about breakfast being 50% chinese food is per our location and guest based, however we notice many of our guests like to try something new, so we are expanding our selection of both Western & Asian breakfast items to fulfill this. The good news for coffee is we have changed our coffee to a delicious Italian brand. I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some time in the future with your family and know you will appreciate the improvements. My sincere thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback, without it we cannot improve and understand what our guest wish for. For a future stay please do contact me directly at gm@rhombuschengdu.com

Warmest regards,