Holiday Inn Chengdu Oriental Plaza
$142
$129
$63
$58
All reviewssubway stationdong menstaff understandihg hotelshotel entrancelan kwai fongroom size isnice hotelfront office managerstayed for nightsbusiness tripcomfortable bedschun xi roadlocal foodlobby barswimming poolshopping district
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

This hotel opened this year and since then I have stayed there at least over twenty time due to business travel. The hotel is nicely decorated and so are the rooms. The rooms are a bit small, but very clean, comfortable and well equipped. Unfortunately, there is no much view from the window due to its location in a CBD. Most of the times, I got upgraded to executive floors and I receive a welcome fruit plate and welcome drink vouchers for the lobby bar due to my membership. The executive rooms are actually same as the superior rooms except the rooms are located at the upper floors and you have access to the executive lounge. The free wifi in the rooms works well and the big LCD TV is a plus. The breakfast buffet has a very good selection and is delicious. The second floor Chinese restaurant is definitely over-priced and not recommended. Most of the times, it is empty. For dinner I can recommend the dinner buffet at the cafeteria with some good Sichuan food or order by the menu. The executive lounge is quite good, with limited but delicious selections at afternoon tea and Happy Hour in the evening. It is quite relaxing up there as there are not so many people using it. The swimming pool and the gym are well equipped and good. They even have free bottled water ready. However, there are some management and service issues, which got improved a bit over the time. One time I found the floor of my bathroom quite dirty despite it being cleaned and checked by a supervisor. Some staff at the cafeteria definitely needs some training about service: for example when I got a table at breakfast, some other guest will occupy it when I left the table for buffet.The location is not that great. In fact nearby there are old buildings, an office tower and a closed furniture mall. The hotel is located 20 minutes by car from Chunxi lu and 15 minutes walking distance to Lan Kwai Fong, a bar and restaurant street next to a river. The biggest issue: it is very difficult to get a taxi. However, there is a metro station nearby. Overall, my stays have been pleasant and I will come back.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Crobbie2000
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed here 4 nights with extended family. Comfortable and spotless rooms with really comfortable beds (not rock hard which is often the case in China). Great breakfasts with lots of choice. Also had a snack here in the evening which was good.
Great location near the River restaurant, Shangri La towers offices and restaurants, Lan Kwai Fong bar area and 5-10 minutes drive from shopping streets and Renmin square (easy to get taxis) Right next to metro too.
Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AsiaLou
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My son and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Oriental Plaza. As a platinum redeeming rewards points, we were given an upgraded room on the executive floor (which includes up to RMB50 laundry service; free drinks in the club lounge, and 4pm late check out).
The night before we stayed at the Holiday Inn Century City West. While we had no problems at the Oriental Plaza, the service at Century City was much better. The breakfast buffet was good, but not as full as the Century City. One major advantage of Oriental Plaza is location- it's right by a subway station downtown. Also, it has a heated indoor pool that my son spent most of our stay in. It's 1.4m deep so perfect for him.
One of the few drawbacks was the bathroom- the lock didn't latch and there's a huge window between the shower and main bedroom. You can pull a curtain down on the bedroom side, but if you're in the shower, anyone in the room could just pull up the curtain. Also, the room was warm- no matter how I adjusted the thermostat, it always stayed just too warm.
Overall I'd recommend the hotel, but it took 15,000 points. The Century City is a much better hotel and only takes 10,000.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Very good location, add the entrance of subway line 2. New hotel, very good breakfast (sushi, noodle station and eggs station, fresh fruits and vegetables, all kinds of bread, good coffee), nicely appointed rooms with modern bathroom.

Nice executive lounge, with choice of snacks (sushi, pasta, spring rolls and pastries) and drinks (beer, wine, softdrinks) in the evening, from 18.30pm to 21pm. Well worth the extra money.

Reception staff could be more client oriented, and availability of maps in English would also be an improvement.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for two nights on a business trip. The hotel itself is very new and the reception area, lobby and restaurant are very nicely decorated. The staff on reception who checked us in were not very friendly and no one offered to carry our luggage from the taxi or to our hotel rooms.

We had paid to get a pick up from the airport and the driver demanded a cash payment when we arrived. This is unusual and I would've preferred to have put it on my room account.

The room was nicely decorated with a large tv but I was given a twin room rather than a double. I asked to change and was told it was not possible but I am sure that the hotel was not full as breakfast and reception were really quiet.

Two staff from the concierge were really helpful, polite and friendly. The others did not speak good english and were unable to help with basic requests i.e. finding locations etc. There were also times when they put me into taxis without telling the driver where I was going.

The hotel was ok but the staff need some training. Breakfast was also a little disappointing with only a few international options.

Room Tip: Ask for a double...you won't get one!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business