“Great room, service, and location for the Panda Base”

Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden
Ranked #18 of 2,668 Hotels in Chengdu
Modiin, Israel
“Great room, service, and location for the Panda Base”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

The best thing about this hotel was the service. I arrived after 1am. The woman at the front desk wasn't proficient in English so her manager immediately took over. I arrived hungry, and I thoroughly appreciated the snack waiting for me in my room. The breakfast was superb with a good mix of Chinese and Western fare. I was only staying there for one night, and I arranged with the hotel for the panda holding experience. The cost of holding a panda is a bit steep at 2000 RMB (cash), but it was one of the highlights of my time in China. Someone from the hotel accompanied me to the Panda Base and gave a tour of the park before the panda session. He was very helpful and definitely streamlined the process. Only a private taxi would take me back to the hotel because of the hotel's direction. I had an evening flight and wanted to spend some time downtown before leaving. The hotel informed me I could take the hotel shuttle to the downtown Crowne Plaza location and store my bags at that hotel for the day. I found this feature helpful because of the distance between this hotel and downtown. Word of caution...taxis are very difficult to catch during the day. Build an extra 20min into your schedule to hail a cab downtown (even from the hotel).

Critical points for the hotel:
I had a difficult time communicating in English with the Concierge desk by telephone. One time I was left on hold for 10 minutes until I finally hung up, and then I wasn't called back for a few hours. Communication was fine in person.

I asked the Concierge to look up vegetarian Chinese restaurants, and they provided a printed list. From what I could see they have a book listing restaurants by dietary preference. The book is outdated. I went to the first one they "highly" recommended, but it was either permanently or temporarily closed. Not speaking any Chinese, I took a taxi to the next one on the list. This restaurant must have been out of business for a long time. The name was still present, but the building was filled with homeless people. At this point I was very upset. I spent hours trying to get taxis plus commute time. The other Crowne Plaza pulled out the same book and tried to direct me back to the same restaurants. In that hotel the only restaurants open were a steak house and Japanese restaurant. The manager of the restaurants couldn't understand why I didn't want Japanese food on my trip to China. After the unsuccessful attempts, I took a cab to the airport early and ate there. I fully enjoyed my stay at the hotel until the restaurant episode ruined the rest of my stay. Please update your list of restaurants and instruct Concierge to verify listings before instructing unknowing travelers.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Haylee R
Ivy Y, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Haylee, thank you for staying with Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden and taking your time to give us your valuable comments. We're proud to see that you really enjoyed our service. Look forward to welcoming you in the near future with the excellent environment and service as well.

Ivy Yu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Excellent location for the panda base which is a must see. The concierge service was fantastic, we were advised to go to the panda base early at 08.15 which was great advice as it was quiet and was starting to get really busy when we left at 12pm - you can easily spend half a day at the panda base. The hotel itself is 40mins outside of chengdu but the hotel have a free shuttle bus service to and from the panda base and the city centre- air conditioned and free bottles of water provided- excellent!! Hotel set In lovely grounds, not much else around it. Concierge service was fab, Justin was very helpful in booking a restaurant for us. You must visit Kuanxiangzi Alley- gorgeous paved pedestrian alley streets with lots of lovely little boutique shops, cafes and restaurants. We went to a place that served Sichuan hot pot recommended by concierge- fab!!you must go!

Hotel room was fantastic, big spacious, floor to ceiling windows sporting a fab view of the grounds. Outdoor pool was closed which was a shame. Cafe 198 in hotel serves lunch- dan dan noodles are recommended very yummy. We also ate in Chinese restaurant in the hotel- lovely Cantonese food, staff in the restaurant speak very little English but went above and beyond to try and understand us.

We had a fantastic stay, loved chengdu, I would recommend staying here even though it's out of the centre it's actually very peaceful and the shuttle bus makes up for it.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sal265
Ivy Y, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear guset, thanks for choosing Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden and taking your time to give us your valuable praise. We are proud of being part of the best memories during your stay in Chengdu. Looking forward to welcoming you in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Excellent service, wing wang in particular very helpful and they go out their way to help in anyway.
Down side it's a little distant from the central area and airport, however it's 10min from the panda base.

The room we had was on the top floor it was a deluxe room (wow)

Can't fault my stay, the food in cafe189 beautiful.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ash_ali1
Dear guest, thank you for staying with Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden and taking your time to give us your valuable comments. We're proud to see that you really enjoyed the stay with us. Look forward to welcoming you in the near future with the excellent environment and service as well.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This hotel experience completes our panda trip.

The location of this hotel is excellent for visiting the Panda Base. They have a shuttle service that you will need to pre-book and it's only 5 mins away.

Ivy and her staff (Wing Wang and Vivian Han) extended every courtesy and hospitality to make it an extremely memorable and enjoyable stay. Another staff, Carter Wang went above and beyond the call of duty for attending to our every needs and exceeding our highest expectations. He knew of our limited mandarin and helped us with restaurant bookings, and even showed up at the Chinese restaurant to help us order.

The breakfast selection was excellent and the Chinese restaurant catered to our less spicy taste buds.

We will definitely come back again!

Regards,
Leonghon Foong

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Leonghon F
Ivy Y, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear hon, thanks for choosing Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden and taking your time to give us your valuable praise.I will share your comments to our staff, and very be proud to take a good memory for your panda trip. Look forward to welcoming you soon. Ivy Yu
Reviewed March 19, 2014

The hotel is designed beautifully. It has excellent services and provide a shuttle to the panda's base and to the centre of the city ( please be careful with the taxis you take from the hotel, because are very much expensive than the ones you take from any place else). I wish they offer a shuttle to and from the airport because it too far away... It takes more than an hour by taxi.
The staff is very friendly, but not everyone speaks English.
If you only go to see the pandas, it the best option.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ivy Y, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear guset, thanks for choosing Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden and taking your time to give us your valuable praise. And we are really proud that could give a good memory for your trip. Look forward to welcoming you soon.
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was a very pleasant surprise, after staying at another international brand hotel in Beijing we were expecting this to be below European standard, but, having used Crowne Plaza hotels in the UK I can say this was way above the standard I have seen there
Rooms:-
spotlessly clean, fantastic facilities, great views, very spacious, 5 star
Facilities:-
good pool and gym etc, but be warned you need a swimming hat to take a dip, lovely walks around the grounds.
Food:-
Breakfast faultless, huge selection to suit all tastes and nationalities, Chinese restaurant a bit average (surprisingly)! Staff below the high standards of the rest of the hotel
Staff:-
See above, generally exceptional.
Location:-
Great for Panda reserve, but 40+ minutes from the airport, we hired a private guide while we were in Chengdu, fantastic, don't attempt a short visit without one! (See my separate review)

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paula1164
Ivy Y, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear guset, thanks for choosing Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden and taking your time to give us your valuable praise. As our hotel is located in the municipal developing area, we offer the free shuttle bus service to Panda Base and city centre Tianfu Square, and hope that could make your trip be more convenient. Look forward to welcoming you soon.
Daly City, California, United States
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is quite far from the city. It's definitely a great place to be if you are mainly there to see the pandas.

I really wish the hotel provided shuttle service to and from the airport.

It costs about 120 rmb to get to the hotel and another 160 rmb to get to the airport. The 160 rmb is the set price the hotel has with the the taxi company.

The hotel is quite nice inside. It's on top of a hill inside a small community.

Upon arrival we were upgraded to a suite room from our original room which was great!

The suite was nice but a lot of the space my wife and I couldn't even use since we were out most of the day.

The outdoor swimming pool was closed due to the weather. The design looked nice though.

The indoor pool is clean it's about a 20 meter pool, you need to remember to bring your swimming cap though, or they won't let you swim.

The gym facilities have the basics.

Down stairs breakfast runs until 1030 am. I think it starts at 6 am but I'm not sure.

You don't want to go to breakfast early there are so many people and I wasn't sure if they were hotel guests or construction workers for the hotel.

I only got to try out the room service food and the bar food. Definitely recommend that you only order western food the Chinese food isn't that great.

The service is really good definitely 5 star quality. Only had one hiccup where the person at the pool area went "hey you you can't bring the towel upstairs."

The bus system is great for getting to the panda reserve and getting into town. It's kind of bumpy the ride and it takes about 50 minutes to get into town during the morning and afternoons.

The bus system seems also used by their employees and staff. Another strange thing was we wanted to get off at the other crowne plaza in front of Chun xi road because we saw the day before the bus stopped to let one of their employees off there however the bus driver refused to drop us off there for some reason. No big deal it was about a 20 minute walk from the drop of place.

The drop off place is right behind the big Mao statue.

All in all this hotel is probably the best in Cheng Du at the moment and I would recommend anyone to stay there.

Hopefully I have more time later this year and I could stay there and go to the golf course that is near the hotel.

I was actually dying to go but had no time due to other arrangements.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ivy Y, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear guest, thanks for choosing Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden and taking your time to give us your valuable praise. Speakin of the taxi cost, sorry for the confusion caused you might have. Our hotel do not have any set cost with any taxi company, the RMB160 from hotel to airport was because the two locations are in different areas so taxi cost is subject to flat fee. Also, we will enhance staff training to offering our guests with better service. Thank you again and looking forward to welcoming you in the future.