“The best hotel I have ever stayed in”

Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden
Ranked #28 of 2,748 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Huge hotel , amazing facilities, beautiful bedroom with a huge bathroom area with a roll top bath. Lovely comfortable big bed.
We had a long day travelling and just looking out of the window made it seem worthwhile.
We were going to sit and have a drink in the bar but once I had a bath and put on the towelling robe nothing moved me!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Violet Z, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear guest, thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden, the first city-resort hotel in North Chengdu, and your valuable praise on hotel facilities and environment. Look forward to welcoming you again at land of pandas. Round-trip shuttle bus to Panda Base and city centre also will offer ideal convenience and quickness for you.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

A cheap 5-star hotel which turned one year on Sep. 23rd 2012. It has it's own small outdoor beach, indoor pool, spa etc. Club rooms / suites tend to be very cheap and good value-for-money. Hotel breakfast is amazing with very good bread (which is rare in China) and Dinner Buffet is also value-for-money. For club-rooms there is access to a spaceous lounge on 21st floor

A really nice touch is the play-area at the buffet-dinner restaurant (also available for non-diners), which will keep smaller kids entertained for a while. Note free transfer to the Panda Research Institute is also available.

In general - very nice hotel. Only minus is distance to city centre and airport, as traffic on the ring-roads tends to be heavy.

Note: For those used to travelling in China, they will know that 5-star here is not always comparable to 5-star other places (can vary a lot). This hotel *is* 5-star, even though you may run into reception / service-center staff who are not totally fluent in English. But they solve it quickly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Sune-DK
Violet Z, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear guest, thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden and your valuable praise and comments which will improve us to serve guests better. We will enchance staff training on English and service skills constantly. Look forward to welcoming you again with our excellent facilities and service at land of pandas. Additionally, free round-trip shuttle bus to Panda Base and city centre also offers ideal convenience and quickness for you.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Beautiful property, spacious & comfortable room. Nice breakfast buffet. Friendly & relaxing atmosphere. Shopping close to hotel. Great location to stay & close to Chengdu Reasearch Base of Giant Pandas.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bob H
Violet Z, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Dear guest, thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden and your valuable praise. Look forward to welcoming you again with our excellent facilities and service at land of pandas. Round-trip shuttle bus to Panda Base and city centre also offers ideal convenience and quickness for you.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

On a recent trip with customers we stayed on this hotel.

I choose it because it was pretty close to the Panda Base and didn't expect much really.
We were really surprised by the hotel, Rooms are big, clean with lots of light and REAL nice.
The buffet was great too.

I had a problem with my credit card at check in (amex wasn't so sure it was me going through China), when the front desk crew so my anguish face (I had my customers there with me), they told me they were sure it was an error and gave us our keys.

Next day still with amex not working I ended up paying with other card and I got nothing but smiles and good treatment.

One last story: I forgot my wife computer bag in the lobby, I call the hotel from the Airport and ask them to take the bag to the airport urgently, after asking to describe the content (to make sure it was my bag) they sent the bag to the airport in a Taxi including a release form so I could sign at delivery.

I can't tell which was better, seeing my wife's soul coming back to his body after retrieving his laptop or the compliments from my customers telling me in the rest of the journey how much they enjoyed staying there...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Pedro G
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Guest, thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden and valuable praise. Look forward to welcoming you again with excellent facilities and service at land of pandas.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Very nice hotel, large and clean rooms. Nice big windows which bring in lots of light and good atmosfere. Nothing wrong with the hotel but management makes it pretty annoying and unnecessarily expensive.
Airport transfer arranged by hotel RMB500, arrange yourself RMB 102.
Taxi to south bus terminal RMB130 arranged by hotel, arrange yourself RMB 47.
Do not order breakfast in your room because they will call you in the morning every morning: while the paper you fill in and hang on your door to be collected before 3 AM is very clear i.e. only boxes need to be ticked, they will always call (between 7:30 and 8 AM) to explain, even if you order for the breakfast to be delivered at 9:15! very annoying to explain to someone who only has a 25 word english vocabulary that you wish to have fruit platter AND grape juice. So with this breakfast you cannot have more than 1 juice, 3 bread items or 1 egg per person. also you cannot have fruit juice and fruit platter….not possible is the reply. Also EVERY morning they come unannounced knocking on your door if you have laundry, today at 7:45 while we had the euro2012 matches at night! IF I want my laundry done I will ask for it.
Good swimming pools, although wearing a swimming cap thing is obliged… even outside with all the frogs loving the pool as well and all the sand and smog falling into the pool anyway.
The band allowed to play during diner is more like a karaoke you see on nearly every corner in the Philippines..not very good.
I would stay here again but things need to be changed, maybe different management?

Room Tip: take room that ends with 03. you get the last room in the hallway, away from elevator with a nice vi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank c c
Violet Z, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Dear guest, thank you for staying with Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden. Your valuable comments will improve us to serve guests better. We are sorry for the inconvenient and uncomfortable experience during your stay. We will enchance staff training on service skills constantly. Hope to welcome you again with our improved services in the near future. Free shuttle bus to Panda Base and city centre offers ideal convenience and quickness to you additionally.

Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is great if you are going to the Giant Panda Breeding Center because it is so close. The rooms were excellent and he staff were friendly. They even sent a cake to my sister because it happened to be her birthday.

However, we did encounter some problems while staying here. First, the hotel's ATM was out of money, so we had to take a taxi 15 minutes away to get money and pay 80Y for the taxi. That was an inconvenience. Then, our laundry bill was outrageous. We just had some underwear and tee shirts cleaned and didn't look too closely at the prices and when we got the bill it cost us over $150! They evened charged a 100Y service charge, which thankfully the did take off for us when we complained. That was ridiculous.

The buffet was also disappointingly simple and overpriced. Everything comes with a service charge too, which is baloney because nowhere else that we stayed had his service charge.

I would only stay here again if it were free because it's just too expensive.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Mariakorea
Violet Z, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Dear Ms.Allison, Thank you for your praise and valuable comments which will improve us to serve guests better. We are sorry for the inconvenient and uncomfortable experience during your stay. We will enchance staff training and facilitity maintainance constantly. Hope to welcome you again with our improved services in the near future. Free shuttle bus to Panda Base and city centre offers ideal convenience and quickness to you additionally.

Reviewed January 20, 2012

Hearing of this hotel as the latest offering in Chengdu, I decided to wrap up my Chengdu business trip here before going back home…despite the exuberant reviews preceding this one, I will give it to you straight: in Chengdu there is the Shangri La and then there is a pack of hotels lagging far behind …and then there is this hotel even further behind.

Ok, the hotel common areas are expansive (with a high ceiling over the western buffet restaurant) however that high ceiling did nothing but augment the noise level in that lobby. I was eating lunch down there and apparently there was some corporate function taking place above us on level 2 (or 3?)…they had some musical presentation that was absolutely raucous, a deafening sound raining down on upon us. I actually thought I was being punk’d it was so ridiculous. Does this hotel really think that guests want to listen to that noise while eating? Have they not heard about having closed conference areas…? Oh yeah, the food in that buffet was just so-so (so I can agree partially with an earlier reviewer).

Apparently, hotel management wanted to save money as they did not turn on the heat in the common areas. It was cold and rainy outside and almost as cold inside the lobby area - my hands were numb it was so cold.

I stayed in my room the rest of the afternoon as the room did have heat (worked fine). Went to bed early as I had been up since about 4am that day but was woken up to more raucous noise but this time taking place in the hallway outside my room (adults loudly conversing, kids crying/screaming…you get it). Called front desk who claimed to have dispatched someone to come to my floor and control this zoo-like environment but the staff, probably got off the elevator and took a look, not seeing or hearing anything in the 30 seconds he/she was on the floor, decided to go back and report “all is quiet.” Haha! At about 11pm (still hearing doors slamming, kids screaming even louder than before), I concluded (rationally) that this was probably only the beginning of a very bad night and decided to cut my losses and call it quits on this 2-star farce. I rapidly packed my bags and made a bee line for the door (wanna guess where I went?). Because I was checking out at 11pm, they were so kind as to only charge me 75 percent of the room rate (cue sarcasm). Not that it would have changed my mind but they didn’t offer anything to me other than to try to change rooms (no offer to reduce price, no upgrade, no free meal, nada).

My advice: pass on this one.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Gilgameshed
Violet Z, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2012

Ni hao, Mr. Lo Presti, thank you for answering the call. We sincerely aplogy for your uncomfortable and disappointed experience with us and unsatisfied resolutions for you in the hotel. Your kind suggestions and comments will improve us to serve guest better.
Hotel devotes to offer a safe, private and relaxing city-resort experience to guests, we are sorry for the noise effect during your whole stay, Secturity staff will enhance inspection and ensure a quiet environment for every guest.
The air-conditioner is 24-hour working smoothly, Engineering staff has started to rectify construction defects and increase tempreture, sorry for the inconvenience during this period.
We sincerely look forward to your understanding and warmly welcoming to Crowne Plaza Chengdu Panda Garden with improved facilities and service in the near future.