“Great hotel with delightful staff”

Millennium Hotel Chengdu
Ranked #23 of 2,790 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, the rooms were lovely, as was the bathroom. In a very affluent part of Chengdu, so very nice for walking around. Plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance, but aside from in the hotel, and the Starbucks outside (which actually for a Starbucks was very quaint), noone speaks English, and the menus have no English, so be prepared to choose from photos:-). A great spot, and a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Park.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Standard room is a bit small but the room is well lit and clean.
Had some issues with the ac/heat and had to turn off the unit to sty comfortable.
Free wifi available in-room and lobby area. Late night room service has limited choices (4-5 items).
Starbucks is nearby and there is an ATM inside the hotel.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed in a room on the Executive Floor which had lots of perks: daily newspaper, welcome fruit, comp breakfast, daily happy hour, comp all day non-alcoholic drinks in the executive lounge, comp 1 hour meeting room use, 2 pieces of laundry per day, 30 min use of the business suite and comp broadband in the room. The king bed was very comfortable. Room included a desk, lounge chair, refrigerator, in-room safe. Room was very clean. Separate tub and shower in the bath. Bath lighting was poor.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I stayed only one night for my stopover from xichang to shanghai on May 18. According to taxi driver, the location is just ok, not in the city centre. Overall the building is new, the pool is clean too. But I am very very disappointed at the services, the staff needs some immediate training to improve the customer services

When I checked in, I presented my passport and the staff at the reception desk was very surprised and insisted that Chinese resident have to check in with ID. I explained that my ID card was stolen and it is under processing, that's why I am using passport. Also I have np problem using passport for flight. Then this guy shouted to his colleague at the lobby that this guest didn't have ID, and all the people could hear him and which made me feel weird. Later he asked his colleague to call police station to consult my situation. Thanks God, after few minutes he said the police officer said ok to use passport.

Yes, the breakfast doesn't look derseve a 5 star hotel breakfast. The dishes are so limited.

When I checked out, I was queuing since both staff are busy with the guest. Then a man cut in the line and waited right at the reception counter. When one staff was available , that man came right to the staff to process the checkout. I told the staff that I was here before the man. I am so shocked that staff said the other staff will take care of me after she completes the work with current staff. And I cant believe that the staff could say so.

So I will never stay here to avoid such disappointment.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The Millennium is located in a cozy, non-congested part of Chengdu. The hotel is well-run with a few forgiveable kinks. The rooms are very clean and the beds are super soft! The gym is well-equipped. The staff, although their English is not great, are friendly and always willing to try and help! They offer comfortable transportation to outlying attractions. We saw the pandas and went in a clean car for 350 rmb both ways. It is a one way street and taxis are limited. We waited on average 15 minutes for a taxi. That was the only disadvantage.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if on the weekday.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We have good expectation after reading the reviews here but are disappointed with the service and the room.

The location is in a quiet are which we found pleasant. When we got there, we have a few big luggages including a big bike box but no bell boy was at the door to help with our luggages. We had to get the trolley ourselves and pushed our luggages inside.

Wifi is supposed to be free but the connection is terrible. In fact I should say that my iPhone nor PC can get onto the internet despite an hour if attempt. When we called front desk, they sent someone whose Internet knowledge is as bad as mine, if not worse. Also forgot to mention, I had waited for not less than 20 mins to have the modem delivered to my room but later to find that it's useless afterall.

The tv remote was out if battery, no biggie, but when I called the front desk, the lady who answered it gave me a good lesson of how to turn on the tv and that I have to stand right in front of it. I suppose that's all common sense and everyone would have done the same unless they think people are really stupid. Anyway, the truth is the control was out of battery.

Breakfast was a total disappointment. Cereal selection was pathetic, cold cut was pathetic, the only have sausages, no ham. Fruit selection was poor. You may like it if you are looking for a Chinese breakfast. For a room of that price, breakfast is poor.

We paid RMB500 as deposit but when I checked out they asked me to produce the deposit receipt in order to get my money back. I have unfortunately lost it but anyway, I could get my money back after verification. However I must say this is so backward. Many hotels in china have already computerized the payment of receipt. Asking a guest to produce evidence of payment is pretty insulting.

Room is small compare with many hotels in China.

In general, I would not recommend this hotel to people for reason that it's too pricey for the quality and service.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank King_of_HK
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Stayed in Chengdu for 4 nights with the previous 2 nights in the Shangri-La Chengdu.

Positives: Overall, this hotel is very clean and modern. The staff are really friendly but have limited English abilities. If you need English speaking staff, stay at the Shangri-La Chengdu. If English isn't an issue for, this hotel is more modern looking than the Shangri-La.

The location of this hotel is on the south side of Chengdu. It's not expensive to get to the other areas (15-20 rmb) but it isn't as convenient as staying in the city centre (ie. the Crowne Plaza).

When you walk out of the hotel, the right side has a Starbucks. Further down the street, there is a row of bars. If you turn left from the hotel, you'll hit an intersection: on that street, you'll find lots of local Sichuan restaurants. There is a decent massage place where the restaurants are also.

We got tired of Sichuan food after a few days as our body couldn't process the oily food any longer (we're used to Chinese food as we live in Beijing, but Sichuan food is ALL about the oil). I ordered a burger on the main floor restaurant but the burger didn't have any flavour. Also, the items that came with the burger didn't match the items mentioned on the menu. As the burger was plain, I asked in Chinese, for some steak sauce like HP or A1. Unfortunately, they didn't know what steak sauce was!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business