“Disappointed and service needs big improvement”

Millennium Hotel Chengdu
Ranked #20 of 2,704 Hotels in Chengdu
Hong Kong
“Disappointed and service needs big improvement”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We have good expectation after reading the reviews here but are disappointed with the service and the room.

The location is in a quiet are which we found pleasant. When we got there, we have a few big luggages including a big bike box but no bell boy was at the door to help with our luggages. We had to get the trolley ourselves and pushed our luggages inside.

Wifi is supposed to be free but the connection is terrible. In fact I should say that my iPhone nor PC can get onto the internet despite an hour if attempt. When we called front desk, they sent someone whose Internet knowledge is as bad as mine, if not worse. Also forgot to mention, I had waited for not less than 20 mins to have the modem delivered to my room but later to find that it's useless afterall.

The tv remote was out if battery, no biggie, but when I called the front desk, the lady who answered it gave me a good lesson of how to turn on the tv and that I have to stand right in front of it. I suppose that's all common sense and everyone would have done the same unless they think people are really stupid. Anyway, the truth is the control was out of battery.

Breakfast was a total disappointment. Cereal selection was pathetic, cold cut was pathetic, the only have sausages, no ham. Fruit selection was poor. You may like it if you are looking for a Chinese breakfast. For a room of that price, breakfast is poor.

We paid RMB500 as deposit but when I checked out they asked me to produce the deposit receipt in order to get my money back. I have unfortunately lost it but anyway, I could get my money back after verification. However I must say this is so backward. Many hotels in china have already computerized the payment of receipt. Asking a guest to produce evidence of payment is pretty insulting.

Room is small compare with many hotels in China.

In general, I would not recommend this hotel to people for reason that it's too pricey for the quality and service.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank King_of_HK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Stayed in Chengdu for 4 nights with the previous 2 nights in the Shangri-La Chengdu.

Positives: Overall, this hotel is very clean and modern. The staff are really friendly but have limited English abilities. If you need English speaking staff, stay at the Shangri-La Chengdu. If English isn't an issue for, this hotel is more modern looking than the Shangri-La.

The location of this hotel is on the south side of Chengdu. It's not expensive to get to the other areas (15-20 rmb) but it isn't as convenient as staying in the city centre (ie. the Crowne Plaza).

When you walk out of the hotel, the right side has a Starbucks. Further down the street, there is a row of bars. If you turn left from the hotel, you'll hit an intersection: on that street, you'll find lots of local Sichuan restaurants. There is a decent massage place where the restaurants are also.

We got tired of Sichuan food after a few days as our body couldn't process the oily food any longer (we're used to Chinese food as we live in Beijing, but Sichuan food is ALL about the oil). I ordered a burger on the main floor restaurant but the burger didn't have any flavour. Also, the items that came with the burger didn't match the items mentioned on the menu. As the burger was plain, I asked in Chinese, for some steak sauce like HP or A1. Unfortunately, they didn't know what steak sauce was!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ForeverRoamin
Penn Valley, California
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Nice place to stay. Very clean and comfortable. Good sheets and towels. Free mini bar.

Location is very good, closeto Tongzilin with lots of restaurants and shopping. Very easy to get taxis out of this location. Airport is 30 minutes and costs 60 RMB.

Would stay here again. Only problem was the room service. Although the staff tries very hard to get your order correct, there was quite a bit of confusion just ordering sprite and ice. That is not a deal breaker for me, as we are in China!

Breakfast in restaurant was adequate with a large selection of Asian and Western items. Eggs cooked to order. wonton station, cereals, juice, breads, etc.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank rohamil
Blueys Beach, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We booked a Club room at a very good rate on a discount hotel website. We chose the Club room deal because it included a full buffet breakfast and free internet which made it extremely good value. The Millennium is a true five star hotel, beautifully appointed throughout. Our room was very comfortable with a luxurious marble bathroom. Everything worked! We were able to reduce the temperature on the air conditioning which enabled us to sleep under the goose down duvet. Most hotels are so overheated it is hard to comprehend why they provide a duvet and it is impossible to have a comfortable night's sleep. The only criticism I can make is that like most hotels the bathroom lighting is inadequate and the cleaning of the bath tub was unsatisfactory. Our breakfast was served on the Club floor with a fairly limited but quality selection - even tea eggs! We were also entitled to all day snacks and Happy Hour drinks and 2 items of laundry free per day.
The Millennium is located in a pleasant location a few kilometres outside the City Centre but taxis are very cheap. Getting around the city in a taxi is somewhat of a nightmare but wherever you stay you're going to have to use a taxi as the shopping and sightseeing sites are not in the same location. The Head Concierge was worth his weight in gold. He spoke English and made it his mission to make our stay memorable. He gave us advice, booked restaurants and organised good taxi drivers to take us on the longer trips to the Panda Centre and Leshan. He even went to the theatre in his own time to pay cash to secure our booking for the Sichuan Opera that night. I think it would be difficult to find a better hotel in Chengdu.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marj H
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I chose this hotel as the hotel of my first choice was full and I was under the impression that it was close to the airport. We had a 4 a.m. rise for a 7:10 a.m. flight to JiuZhaiGou the following morning. To my disappointment, it took 30 mins to get from the airport to the hotel.

That aside, the hotel room was clean and modern. We requested for an extra bed in our booking. The bed was not prepared upon arrival but it didn't take staff long to deliver it all made up! Comfortable extra bed. Space wise, it was a bit tight with the extra bed.

One thing I found rather strange was the see-through glass separating the bath tub and the room. Automatic blinds come down at the touch of a button. It is an unnecessary design as it is almost certain that blinds had to be down to prevent the bathroom light from filtering into the bedroom when someone uses the bathroom/toilet in the middle of the night.

The check in and check out at reception was speedy. Receptionist was helpful in asking if we needed to leave our bags with them for the duration of our trip to JiuZhaiGou but we stayed at a more centrally located hotel upon our return.

Didn't have time to use any of the hotel's facilities.

It is next to a Starbucks, very handy but it is neither located near the airport, the city centre or the Panda centre so only stay here if you have a specific reason, i.e. near some convention hall or office that I don't know about.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for a few nights. Though not located downtown it is in a nice area.

There is a Starbucks right next door!!

• Stayed August 2011
Constant Traveller
Reviewed April 19, 2011

My visit to the Millennium Hotel was a treat. I would rate this as one of the finest hotels I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy, and would recommend it highly. My visit was in April 2011.

Chengdu is a massive industrial city in Western China; anything farther west basically is in Tibet and the foothills of the Himalayas are only a few hours away by car. Chengdu has very little surviving history embedded in the city: it has been redeveloped and rebuilt to such an extent that it is, by and large, just a boring, modern megacity. While the avenues are broad and the parks are pretty, the air is brown and the sidewalks dusty. But it is the home region for pandas and that alone makes it worth the trip. (Side note: the pandas are about a one-hour car ride from this hotel. The hotel can arrange car services or tours. Go! Don't miss them.)

The Millennium Hotel is the icing on the cake. This is a big, modern hotel that suits the city, but retains the touches of grace and sophistication that make it a delight to visit.

It’s about a 20-30 minute ride from the airport to the Millennium. The exterior is imposing, as one might expect, but the lobby surprisingly quiet and gracious. Behind the check-in counter is a small bar that served a very respectable Australian Shiraz; the staff was a bit harried but they pulled it off in the end. In fact, throughout the hotel the staff is very helpful, and although their English is not as polished as one might expect that does not diminish their eagerness to assist the weary traveller.

The rooms are of moderate size but impeccably decorated. The bed is comfy, the desk is fine, the TV well-equipped (for a Chinese hotel), and the bath facilities perfect. I can make no suggestions for improvements – not a one!

One surprising discovery was the atrium inside the hotel was above the lobby but not connected to it. This airy vestibule gives the hotel a feeling of spaciousness without the usual noise and hub-bub that swells up from the lobby of many Marriotts and Hyatts (see photos). It was very zen-like, and I appreciated the thoughtfulness of the designers.

Another treat was the cutest little Starbucks, right outside the hotel. The staff, managed by Lillie, were terrific and their English made it easy to order our beverages. Hari and Anna were two other staff members who made our visit memorable.

Across the street from the hotel is a public park which is well-landscaped, safe and a great place for a Sunday stretch of the legs. We also visited Jin Li Street and the famous “Narrow-Wide Street” which offered good drinks and foods, in a Disney-like historical setting.

I would rate this as one of the very best hotels, a great choice for anyone.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business