“Everything Is Though Out” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Traffic Inn

Traffic Inn
Ranked #9 of 314 Specialty Lodging in Chengdu
New York City, New York
“Everything Is Though Out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Note - I only got to stay here for a very short few hours, so take my review with that understanding. In any event, from what little I could experience, this is a true gem of a hostel in Chengdu!

I was planning to take an early bus to Jiuzhaigou the following morning, after a very late arrival - so I didn't want to spend much and wanted to be right near the bus station. Location-wise, this was perfect -- it's just next door to the bus station really. Price-wise, it was also good.

I got a private room, but no ensuite bathroom - no matter since the bathrooms, which are clean (and yes, western toilets) are not far. On my late arrival (it was not hard to get to by airport bus - though a local dropped me off by taxi from the busstop - a short short ride), I found a very helpful staff member to check me in. Of course I woke the poor guy up, since my flight was so delayed it was almost 2am!

I also arranged to have my bus tickets bought in advance by the hostel - which was great and took out my worry. The email correspondence with these guys was great. As for language - the English is also great, both in person and online.

My room was spacious and had international outlets. The place was also clean.

Though I did not get to stay longer than a short sleep, I was so happy everything was sorted out perfectly for me. If you do stay here longer it is well located, and right near the metro station. They also appear to have well priced tours on offer.

The lobby also has free drinking water, a library, and computers. It seemed like they had thought of everything. Finally, they publish their own personalized maps, with lots of great useful information. I admit grabbing one for use when I returned (and ended up staying elsewhere for other reasons).

This is definitely the hostel to stay for inexpensive but comfortable and helpful travel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank NY2HK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

there is a great social setup and this hostel with a top communal area. the rooms are nice as are the shower facilities (with a western toilet!)
staff are friendly, the pizza is good and the beer is cheap.
its not terribly convinent from a shopping point of veiw (there isnt a supermarket near)

the only problem i had was minor. i had borrowed a book from their 'library' (a donated book that a previous traveller had left behind) and when i left i wanted to buy it. he said i could swap it for another book and i told him that there was a book and dvd that i had left in my room for their library and id just go up and get it. id only been checked out an hour but the book was gone and housekeeping said they hadnt seen it. there had been noone else in my room so i thought this was odd. anyway then he told me that i could only have it if i paid the RRP for the book (8 pounds) i thought that was insane since it was a second hand donated book and given that there was actually a donated book somewhere in the hostel.
apart from that a good experience

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Failed to pick up at airport, first problem. Staff are rude and disinterested. I needed to find an atm late at night to book a trip the following day and couldn't use the one near by. Asked if I could pay the following morning as i didnt want to wander around by myself late at night and they suggested I take the tour the next day instead, entirely unhelpful especially considering I'm only here for two days. My room smells really awful. The building is old and deschevled. The air con blows hot air. The area is central but noisy. Friends had recommended the food here but what i ordered was actually inedible. All in all I wouldn't even rate this place.

Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Traffic Inn hostel is perhaps the best hostel o have visited in china. And i have been here in two months. The staff is fantastic with help and talk and are there for you all the time. It is not too much. If you are open they will add (more) humor knowledge and friendship to your life. They speak good english and the food is good but a bit expensive. It is so cozy here with small notes every where which give you suggestions to what to do. They will help you with almost everything, just ask and enjoy your your stay!

• Stayed April 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed in this hostel over a period of several weeks during a visit to Chengdu in March / April 2013. In every respect, from room and reception services to physical quality of accomodation and assistance from staff (whose English is good), this hostel was outstanding. We would recommend it to anyone seeking low budget quality accomodation in Chengdu, and will definitely be returning here on our next trip to Sichuan.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Graham M
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I chose Traffic Inn Youth Hostel (not to be confused with the neighboring Traffic Hotel) for the very reasonable nightly rate (via Agoda.com) plus the extreme convenience to Chengdu's Xinnanmen bus station.

This served my Chengdu 'home base' as I took day/overnight trips to nearby Leshan and Emeishan, and the farther away Jiuzhaigou. All three destinations are accessible by bus (hence loved staying literally 5 mins away from Xinnanmen bus station. This would be great for a traveller with plans to get out of Chengdu.

Hostel itself is very cozy. Reliable WIFI in the lobby, and there's a separately WIFI login for the second floor as well. I stayed in both a single with private bathroom, as well as a single with shared bathroom. Both were excellent and exactly what I needed. Hostel staff appear to be students, great English and very helpful. Staff can help to arrange with Panda Research Center (daily trips), bus station purchases, just ask and they are extremely friendly. Overnight luggage storage free of charge!

I was sad when I finally checked out. Oh also, had the pleasure of staying here for Chinese New Year 2013. The staff organized a dumpling making party which made this homesick Chinese American greatly appreciative of their genuine desire to bring Chinese hospitality to foreign visitors. I had a great stay and definitely recommend this for backpackers.

Room Tip: Dorm style rooms are fine. Public restroom/area kept clean. If staying on second floor, you can pick...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

On the plus side, the hostel is located very well and was, generally, quite clean. We stayed in a double ensuite and the room was cleaned every day; in fact the cleaning ladies were quite keen to get in and clean in the early hours (8 am). One day we did wake up to a cockroach, but it was an anomaly.

The internet was patchy and the bathroom door was broken, so we couldn't close it properly. The window in the bathroom didn't close all the way, so our room leaked heat. The food and drinks were terrible - raw instant porridge served as muesli, the sunny side up eggs were only half cooked and the coffee was almost undrinkable.

The real issues were service issues. The staff were disorganized and disinterested. They all spoke excellent English, but didn't seem to care about doing there job efficiently. We pre-ordered breakfast (as did a few other people), yet the next morning they ran around in a panic as if they had been given no notice. We had to constantly remind them of what we needed. They were unable to provide basic information about local attractions and could not help with travel logistics that were outside of their own tours.

I think that with some staff retraining and tweaks to the service, Traffic could be great. As it stands, it is an average traveller hostel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple