“Brilliant Hotel”

Ranked #15 of 2,686 Hotels in Chengdu
London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Hotel”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Stayed here for two nights in October and had a great time. Real 5 star service, with lots of branded free toiletries/slippers/even a sewing kit and candle.

Great atmosphere in the hotel, with a little fish pond, traditional furniture, even some (slightly depressed looking) captive birds. The faux-old style wood looks wonderful, and the rooms are beautiful.

Breakfast was good, and included in the room price. Had dinner here one night which was lovely (the 'small' portions are still quite big!).

As some people have mentioned, noise does drift up from the street into the rooms (we were on the first floor (or 2nd floor by Chinese numbering), but the streets are deserted by 8 or 9pm, and were not noisy in the morning, so this didn't inconvenience us at all.

The hotel organised a car to the airport for us, which all went fine.

While we were in Chengdu we went to Qingchen shan, which is very easy to get to by train, and I would recommend.

Room Tip: If you are worried about the noise from the street, I imagine the top floor rooms would be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We came to this hotel early by one night, and the front desk clerk was so helpful in finding us another hotel nearby when there was none available. When we did stay there for the following night, the room had everything we needed, the breakfast was great, and the location cannot be better. The hotel was kept immaculate inside and out.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
sydney, australia
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I was impressed by the service the moment we arrived at the hotel. The taxi driver did not know where to drop us off so we had to give the hotel a call who kindly directed the driver. Again, like the other reviewers, the front entrance is a brief walk from the road with well posted signs. Concierge always greeted us warmly and even walked us partway to the bus station to catch a bus to the panda research sanctuary.

Oriental style with some interesting touches like the wash basin bowl with chinese motifs. Very good amenities in the rooms and bathrooms - fluffy slippers, comfortable bathrobes and a fruit platter.
Bed was reasonably comfortable - we had wooden floorboards but they were still reasonable.
I love that the balcony overlooked the stalls beneath which gave this hotel a lot of character. I would sometimes sit at the balcony bench and watch the passerbys.

Breakfast reasonable. I like the fact that some dishes are pre-prepared and some you can request from the kitchen so whilst you are waiting for them you can have something to eat first. Try the wontons which are pretty decent.

Some evenings, you may be able to watch a qi (traditional chinese musical instrument) performance in the lobby area - complimentary.
Also, have fun with the traditional chinese calligraphy which the hotel uses as a guestbook.

As it's within a tourist area near wenshu temple - restaurants and food stalls are not lacking. Try the fried beef puffs as well as the pork steam buns nearby. They also have a stall with fresh sugar cane juice.
The hotel has a tea room which offers a few varieties of tea at a standard price. Nearby, there is a tea room which also offers the same variety at a slightly cheaper price but equally as good.
There is a pottery store just opposite the entrance of the hotel which sells some interesting handmade (there are a few artists in the store) pottery - good souvenirs.

I think this is a great hotel location and service wise for a holiday tourist to Chengdu.
I found it easy enough to use their online booking system.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Denver
Reviewed October 6, 2011

No wonder this is rated the number 1 hotel in Chengdu. I just stayed at Buddha Zen for two nights in September. I stayed in room 310, which has a balcony looking out to the food vendors, street merchants, and the like. The room was very clean, spacious, and complete with nice amenities. A electric converter was provided in your room, flat screen TV, air conditioning (which I did not need), 2 free bottles of water per day, hot water pot, nice shower and bed. The hotel lobby is as advertised by other post on TA. The free breakfast provides both chinese and american choices. We also had a nice late afternoon lunch at the hotel. The hotel staff was always very helpful in calling us a taxi, securing tickets to events, and writing thing in chinese for us to show people as needed. My only complaint is we had no wifi in either the lobby or our rooms.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is nice.
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed October 5, 2011

We selected BuddhaZen as our hotel in Chengdu based on Trip Advisor reviews. We were not disappointed. BuddhaZen is a wonderful hotel in a great area. The room was spacious and modern. Our 2nd floor room had a nice balcony that overlooked the street below. The hotel restaurant was great - we enjoyed the Pan Fried Dumplings every evening. Delicious! BuddhaZen is located in a nice area with many shops, restaurants and street vendors. If you're looking for an affordable stay in a really nice area in Chengdu, I encourage you to consider BuddhaZen.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2011

The hotel is falling apart in some places but still looks reasonable. The staff are nice until they make a mistake and refuse to admit they were wrong. For example, The hotel wanted to charge me 600yuan more than my Ctrip quote. When I brought this to their attention I was told it was my problem and I should deal Ctrip and I have to pay the higher rate. Ctrip then contacted the hotel to fix the situation. After that I was informed by the hotel that the initial amount they preauthorised was for deposit purposes and they would use the Ctrip rate on check out - Makes no sense so I put it down to the staff not wanting to lose face.

All the staff were really great to me except the one lady I dealt with at reception in relation to this issue - given the extremely low level of support I received I will never stay here again. I was made to feel as if I had made the mistake.

The place is pretty clean except for the shower which has black mould in places - for the price you're paying you'd expect better!!! My shower head had a screw missing and kept on sliding to the side during showers. After about 2 days in the hotel my airconditioner stopped working, the minibar fridge and the kettle plug points died so nothing worked anymore (must have bad wiring).
It's 30 yuan to wash one t-shirt so I recommend having your washing done down the road or using the basin in your bathroom and doing it by hand.
The buffet breakfast leaves much to be desired but is not too bad.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank gobey
Singapore
Reviewed September 28, 2011

My wife and I with 3 adult children stayed at BuddhaZen for 1 night whilst in Chengdu on our way to JuiZhaiGou. We loved the old-style chinese-inn design and peaceful, zen-like atmosphere of the hotel. Rooms were modern, spacious and clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good. Great value for money.