“An-e Hotel Minshan-Nice place”

Sichuan Minshan Ane Hotel
Ranked #258 of 2,677 Hotels in Chengdu
Stockholm, Sweden
“An-e Hotel Minshan-Nice place”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Enjoyed the stay very much. Staff was good and helpful, and always a good morning (both in English & Chinese). The breakfast was lovely, and had both Chinese and European dishes. Room was nice and always clean. Bed was a little harder than I'm used to, but slept very well despite this. There was no room safe, but that was no problem. Colleague has a bit of claustro. so used the stairs all the time, this was no problem having been readily moved to the 5th floor from the 10th at her request. It would've been nice with 1 more news channel, BBC world, or CNN but the one was fine for our stay.
Very enjoyable stay for work, and loads of shopping close by for presents for home... and the Starbuck's down the street and the Bread Shop was an unexpected treat.

Room Tip: Difficult to find the first time, but well worth it once there.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
kuala lumpur
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Hotel is located in the shopping/commercial district of Chengdu. But, considering that this hotel has the word "Grand" to it's name, the entrance is actually at right at the back of the commercial building facing the shopping district. You need to navigate through a narrow lane and then underneath another building where you will barely be able to locate the most inconspicuous looking entrance to the hotel - which is at a dead-end lane. Hey, using the word "Grand" is a gross Mis-representation!

The lobby is small, if this hotel is supposed to be 4 star. But certainly, in my opinion, this hotel is closed to 3 star or less. Checking in was a breeze. Took the lift, and horrors or all horrors, you realise that this hotel does not have a service lift. Hence, you have the cleaners using the same lifts as the guests, together with their cleaning trolleys and a semi-opened trash disposal container. Eaaargh....

When we reached our floor, we had some folks (who don't seem to be hotel staff) separating the garbage for re-cycling at the garbage disposal room. What a sight!!! I find this totally unacceptable and certainly / downright un-hygeinic.

Room was a bit small but acceptable. Looks a bit dated and there seems to be some lack of upkeeping with noticeable wear and tear.

Good point - there's free internet connection (or that it is included in the hotel bill).

Breakfast was a terrible disappointment. Possibly the worst I have experienced in any hotel. It's close to 2 star standard. Choices were nominal and is certainly unsuitable for Western guests. 2 choices of cereal, white bread, 1 type of bun and cake each. Chinese fare wasn't great at all. Fried eggs - be prepared to queue and wait for at least 5-10 minutes. Staff handling breakfast were indifferent and seems like they've gotten up at the wrong side of the bed. Just felt that breakfast is provided, just for the sake of providing it. Coffee wasn't up to mark and the milk tasted a bit strange. Can you imagine going through this for 4 consecutive mornings. Just had black coffee on the 4th morning. Just gave up!

Don't know about my luck, but there was a power outage during my stay. Fair enough, as it affected the surrounding areas. Had to walk down from the higher floors to the ground floor. Didn't receive any note of an apology. I would send an apology note, even if I was running a 2 star hotel! Just need to photocopy it which is not too much of a trouble and slot it into each room. Not asking for much.

Won't recommend this hotel - "Grand" it certainly isn't. Felt like a budget tourist hotel. I've been to hotels cheaper or similarly priced, but certainly would not have to go through this awful experience. If location is the most important criteria, you may go ahead with this place, but I have already warned you!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Beijing
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I stayed here for one night after moving over from the nearby Phoenix Regalia. Unlike the Phoenix which had no views, my room at the Ane (aka Anyi Minshan aka Ane Grand) overlooked the main square on Chunxi Road.

First, location. The hotel is smack in the middle of the main square on Chunxi Road pedestrian street, so if you like to be where all the activity is you can't do much better. Chunxi itself has of course tons of stores, from large dept stores to boutiques, and a good selection of cafes and fast food restaurants. I especially like the restaurants upstairs in the Isetan department store nearby.

The room was big and modern. There is no central overhead light but there are lamps dotted throughout the room. There is a side chair and sofa and small pedestal-type table but strangely no coffee table. Also there was no desk chair and I was afraid that the last customer swiped it and they would charge me for it, but when I called up they brought one in and explained that desk chairs are optional and not normally in the rooms. Hmmm...that's a first for me.

When I rummaged through the desk I found that the stationery was not refilled. Not big deal since I wasn't going to use any, but it does signal lack of thoroughness.

The hotel -- in the lobby, on the lifts, in the room -- had a mix of contemporary western and traditional Sichuan motifs; nice touch. The elevators were a bit small and unfortunately very slow.

Bathroom was cute with a sink in the shape and design of an ancient Chinese bowl. Mirror was a bit low. Shower, no tub.

Free internet but skippy at times. The TV had a complicated remote control in Chinese only and when I asked housekeeping for help she couldn't figure it out either. She was nice enough to get somebody else for me, but by the time another guy came I had already done it myself just playing with the buttons.

Overall I had a quick pleasant stay but then when I went to check out they charged me an extra 30 rmb for some toiletries that I didn't take. They couldn't explain in English and I couldn't understand Chinese well enough to get what they thought I had taken. I was quite upset since I almost always use my own expensive toiletries, and even if I occasionally take the soap or comb aren't those things free? Anyway, I hadn't taken anything but got charged for something, and if I weren't running behind going to the airport I would've on principle stayed and argued.

If not for the final incident, I would've given 4 stars to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Atlanta
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights and found this to be an excellent hotel - easily a four-star hotel by U.S. standards. The rooms were decent-sized and exceptionally clean with very comfortable beds, not so hard as in other Chinese hotels. The room included a flat-panel TV with lots of channels, albeit all in Chinese. There were plenty of free toiletries in the bathroom plus free high-quality slippers. The hotel's f breakfast buffet was very good and included a nice mix of western and Chinese food, and ,most important to me - very good American-style coffee. The staff was very friendly and there was small shop on the first floor that sold souveniers at very good prices. The hotel is located right downtown on a pedestrian mall so there were oodles of stores and restaurants close by.

If you want to book it online, you can do so at: http://hotels.english.ctrip.com/hotels-sichuan-minshan-anyi-hotel/h62721.html

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
OSKALOOSA
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Two nights. Just didn't like having to walk a ways to get from small bus to the hotel. Fine if driving a car. Good basic lodging and close to lots of shopping.

• Stayed July 2010