“With that price, I am expecting more.”

Wenjun Mansion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 2,754 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Got a triple room with street view on 3rd floor during my stay.
Somehow, out of 4 receptionist that I encountered, only one of them is helpful, the rest of three, either having attitude problem or not very informative. Example, when I asked one of them for help because I couldn't get any taxi in front of the hotel where she recommended me to wait there, she simply replied "then you just have to wait, nothing I can do". However, after some days staying there, I was told by others that, a great spot to stop a taxi was on the main road perpendicular to Qin Tai Road. She should have told me so.
The room is not very clean, with hairs/dirts on the floor. Also, we suspect that they didn't change our towel daily, while simply fold it and put back on the rack, as the towels are slightly wet when we first use it. Anyway, have no chance to verify that.

Pros: Internet/wifi is free, hot water is promising, heater in the room. Location is not bad.
Cons: Quality of receptionist vary, Cleanliness need to improve

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Travel_freak_mas

Reviewed October 12, 2011

What a fantastic breath of fresh air this place is. The staff are super helpful (and they speak fab English which was wonderful to) The beds were comfy, the room and bathroom clean and a good size, a kettle,TV, electric mosquito coil and air con. Only real issue we had was a cracked bathroom sink which leaked a bit. The food in the restaurant was tasty and reasonably priced and breakfast had a range of western and chinese food on offer. The internet connection was reliable and the information and tours extensive and equally good value. The street was beautiful and the buildings/architecture in the courtyard itself was also adorable. The real stars here are the staff though - they couldnt do enough for us and arranged flights, trips, taxis to the airport and train tickets.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank familyworld2011
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I agree with all the reviews I've read, and as you can see most of them are positive!
I really enjoyed this place!!! I was there twice, for both my trips in Sichuan, and I'm sure I will go back there some day...
It is cosy, AC rooms, with WIDE beds (something unusual for China!), internet, helpful and friendly people at the front desk, and you have the sensation of leaving in an ancient chinese courtyard! I liked sitting on the balcony and drinking some green tea at night.
Don't forget to hire a bicycle!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ferdinando76
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Our driver (arranged by the hotel) picked us up at the airport and transported us to our hotel, the Wenjun Mansion, and we were all delighted at this adorable court-yard hotel located on Qintai Lu, a lovely street with l ancient architecture along the entire street. There are several yummy “hot pot” restaurants, bars, boutiques, etc. Our rooms were fairly large and clean with antique style furnishings. They were a bit noisy at night because of the open roof in the lobby letting much of the street noise filters in. Other than that we were very pleased with the hotel. The front desk was always manned by extremely friendly staff who arranged for drivers, tours and acted as bartenders/waitresses as well. They made sure all of our many questions were answered promptly and correctly

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank nala22
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We decided to stay here when we booked a tour with the hotel's parent company. So good part is if you stay here, travel/tour services are readily available. The staff was friendly, and English speaking .. The menu included Western food, and was reasonably priced. The rooms we stayed were large and clean. For our trip, we just cared about clean and comfy rooms, and we got that. Location is awesome, in the heart of a pretty street, the teahouse Opera is a 5 min walk away. The hotel has plenty of travel books and some fiction to pick up if you need. Breakfast was good .. a basic mix of continental and chinese items. Overall a pleasant stay, and recommended if you want a fairly local experience, with all the basic comforts. Note, hotel had no elevator, so 4th floor walkup might not be for some folks.. Staff was very friendly..

Room Tip: room 210 was pretty awesome..
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We stayed two nights @ Wenjun Mansion and we think it was a good experience. The only drawback is no elevator, so we got a room on the fourth floor and we took our backs up.
The building is open and with a nice courtyard (if it doesn't rain). The rooms were clean, western oriented and very comfortable. Good place to stay and warm location.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Wenjun Mansion Hotel with our two small children aged 4yrs and 6yrs. We stayed for two nights at the end of April early May. The pick up at the airport was on time and went smoothly, although the van had little or no suspension so was a bit of a bumpy ride, costing 70rmb (around £7) so can't grumble really.

We had a Deluxe Family room which was on the fourth floor, with no lifts in the hotel it was a little tiring carrying the bags and cases up the stairs but the reception had a porter help us with a case so it wasn't too difficult. The room was clean and basic but comfortable. There were two single beds and small flat screen tv on the wall with a small fridge and air con in the first part of the room then going through to a connecting room with a double bed with air con and then through to a small dressing space with small wardrobe and computer desk, we didn't use the computer that was provided. Then through to the bathroom. The kids were very excited to see a very large whirlpool bath, after living in china for 6 months we only had a shower so the bath was a bit of a novelty, however it took a good 40 minutes to fill and then the whirlpool aspect didn't work so just a bog standard bath really. The kids enjoyed it anyway. The beds were hard as usual in China but we had a decent nights sleep.

The breakfast was buffet style and consisted of the usual chinese breakfast, noodle, rice, congee, boiled eggs but they did have bacon, toast and coffee and juice, very basic but it filled a hole and at only 20rmb per adult you can't complain.

The staff were friendly and welcoming. We didn't eat there othere than breakfast but I did order the kids some fries before we left and they were nice enough with ketchup and the kids didn't make a sound until they had finished them, so they must have been good. During our two night stay I booked for a foot massage for myself and a back massage for my husband, both cost 80rmb per hour so around £8. You book it at the reception and pay there too for however long you want, we just had one hour. I think they use the guys from the nearby massage place and send them to your room. It was quite basic compared to some foot massages I have had in china but it was relaxing and as it was in the room it was convenient.

Qingtai Road, is a lovely road, with the Sichuan Opera house just down the road from the hotel and you can take some really lovely pictures of the buildings there, we had a walk around a few of the parks that are nearby and they are really lovely and green with the flowers coming out this time of the year. We took a taxi to Chunxi Liu the main shopping street in Chengdu and it cost 16rmb so cheap.

All in all a good comfortable stay at the Wenjun Mansion. Prices are reasonable and if you are planning on taking in a few trips and sight seeing then this could be a great place to stay to get a taste of China. There were plenty of foreign travellers staying there too.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family