“A good Western place in China”

Holiday Inn Chengdu Century City- West Tower
Ranked #60 of 2,714 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Well . . . its just an average business hotel in terms of facilities (Free internet & Wi fi in the room) and comfort (A big hotel nearby the Metro station, which helps commuting a bit easier). The room was however very small & just a little place around the bed to walk around and was a disappointment when compared to big lobbies.

The service & staff were good and at par with standard. The staff speak English but is restricted to their area of operation. For example, the front desk staff were able to support me in English only related to front desk work - currency exchange, taxi, etc. Ask them about sight seeing options and they did not have an answer. But that is not a complaint at all. It's just that i'm asking travellers to set their expectations accordingly.

Limited options of Western cuisine in the buffet spread. What was missing was the spicy Sichuan cuisine. The restaurant at the lobby was trying to focus on many different cuisines and in the bargain had very little options in all the cuisines. Surprising to see the common 'pastas' missing in their spread. I spent 4 days there and soon realised that the buffet menu never changed :-(. So on the 4th day, i very well knew what i'm going to eat when i was leaving my room for dinner. That was really disappointing for such a nice property. The limited & repetitive cuisine is the only reason i'm rating this place as "Average".

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kumararaj
Jemry Z, Distribution & Relationship Marketing Team at Holiday Inn Chengdu Century City- West Tower, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Mr. Kumararaj,
Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Chengdu Century City for 4 days during your business trip and your valuable comments which will improve us to serve guests better. We will enhance the English training for all staffs so that they can serve you all better. Your valuable comments about the cuisine had been told chef and we will take actions to improve all of your experience. Please rest assured that we will spare no efforts to improve the quality of our guests' stay. Be sure to give us another try. We promise you won't be disappointed!
Jemry Zhao
Distribution & Relationship Marketing Team

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Chengdu Century City- West Tower

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was my 3rd stay at this location since last July. On my first trip I had a standard room while the second time I went for an "executive" room. This time, with a longer stay, I opted for a suite and was not totally disappointed.

The downside of course was that I had an early arrival, and there are fewer suites than rooms in the hotel, so naturally they did not have a non-smoking suite available on my arrival (which was still well before check-out time for other guest). They did have ONE smoking suite available, and sent someone up do "freshen" it. I did not detect any smoke in the room and I'm sensitive.

The suite was quite large at 65 Sq. meters. There was a 2 piece washroom off the living room, and a large 4 piece off the bedroom. The bathtub and shower cabinet were separate as advertised. The towels are the best I've had anywhere!

A few things need attention. First of all, the carpet needs a major cleaning, while wallpaper is peeling off in places. Next, I discovered the hot and cold taps on the bathtub were labelled in reverse, while the seal around the shower dd not completely seal, permitting water to leak out onto the floor.

The bedroom was smaller than the living room, so the large armoir (read closet) was put in the living room rather than the bedroom - at the furthest point from the bedroom door. There was a vanity table and mirror in the bedroom, but lighting was non-existent. Overall the bedroom lighting was great for sleeping but not so good for getting dressed.

The temperature in the room was too high, and since it's not summer the cooling systems were not activated. Fortunately there were windows that open so I was able to cool the room this way.

Coffee and tea were provided in the room, but only two packets. I already knew this and brought my own supply with me. On my last trip I also discovered a convenience store located about a 4 minute walk away, towards the subway.

Breakfast was not originally included with my room, but the clerk at reception recommended adding it. I learned that the breakfast buffet costs 138 Yuan per person if you pay, but when it's on the room they only charge 90 Yuan - FOR TWO PEOPLE!

Owing to the hotel's location away from the main road, it's relatively quiet at night, so sleeping is much easier. The mattress and pillows were excellent as well.

Room Tip: Add breakfast to your reservation!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Jemry Z, Distribution & Relationship Marketing Team at Holiday Inn Chengdu Century City- West Tower, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Mr. Allen Page,
It is always our honor to welcome you back at Holiday Inn Chengdu Century City. We really appreciate you taking the time to post about your detail experience. Thank you Thank you Thank you!
We are glad to know that you are satisfied with the towels, mattress, pillows and cleaning service that we offered. Your valuable praise and comments about tap label, carpet, wallpaper, bedroom lighting and so on which will improve us to serve guests better. We will follow up the issues you raised, and please rest assured that we will spare no efforts to improve the quality of your next stay.
We hope that you will choose our hotel again when you are back in Chengdu so that we may continue to extend our sincere hospitality to you.
Jemry Zhao
Distribution & Relationship Marketing Team

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My son and I stayed at this Holiday Inn on a recent trip and were very impressed with the service. The manager, Grace, came out to greet us and give us free drinks. We were given an upgraded room and complimentary breakfast buffet (room was booked as a platinum using points).
The room was spacious and clean; the buffet was great. I highly recommend this hotel, though it is a bit far from down town. Still, if you need a place for the first night or for a layover at the airport, it's a great choice and only 10,000 points vs. 15,000 for the Holiday Inn Oriental Plaza.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
angelaw513, Web Interactive Marketing Specialist at Holiday Inn Chengdu Century City- West Tower, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear platinum member, thank you very much for choosing Holiday Inn Chengdu Century City with your family. It is great to know our room and service meet your expectations. Thank you again for your review and recommendation. Let’s make another appointment here, hopefully soon!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

If you have to be in the southwest of Chengdu, this is one of the only choices of hotels in that area. The hotel is arranged with some other hotels in an impressive complex, and looks good from the outside. Also, the reception hall is very nice: Spacious and clean. But the nice picture changes when you enter the rooms (at least mine): The room definitely needed a remake. The carpet was old and heavily stained (I didn't even want to know where the stains came from...), the walls were stained, heavily scratched and quite dirty, the bathroom build quality was poor, which led to a very unsatisfied, disappointed feeling, especially when regarding the pricing of the hotel room. I did definitely did not feel very comfortable in my room.

Some pluses: Breakfast was expensive, but good quality. If the breakfast room wasn't that crowded one could even enjoy breakfast... The meals at dinner where very OK, not too expensive, good quality, nicely arranged, with some live music. I surely enjoyed my diners there!

The location is pretty boring, with almost no nice places in walking distance. If you would want to see something of Chengdu's culture or street/hight life, this is not the right place to stay! So, this hotel probably is a hotel fur business filks that need to stay near to ther place of business, as travel times are long in the mornuing and evening rush hour...

So, in total: It's OK to stay at this hotel, but nothing impressed me very much... Before I forget: English language is not well understto and spoken; the hotel feeds mainly from Chinese guests!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Andrew G
angelaw513, Web Interactive Marketing Specialist at Holiday Inn Chengdu Century City- West Tower, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear guest, thank you for your stay and sincere comments. It is a pleasure to know you that enjoyed your dinners and like our environment. On the concerns you mentioned, please rest assured we are taking this matter extremely seriously as we always strive for service excellence. Hotel concierge is willing to introduce Chengdu according to your needs. You may enjoy a afternoon walk in Xishu Bridge of ancient Chengdu architectures next to hotel, or shopping at MGS Outlets few steps away. Hope you will find more interesting places when you come back to us and enjoy your stay. Thank you again and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed at the Holiday Inn because of it's location not terribly far from the airport yet close to the Metro system.
The American hotel chains in Chengdu need to do some education of the taxi drivers. This is the second time I've been to Chengdu and both times the cab drivers did not recognize the names of either the Sheraton or Holiday Inn and the Chinese name is not found on their websites. Fortunately I had the Chinese name and address written down this trip.
I was met right at the door by a bellhop who guided me to the check-in counter which was strangely hidden far away from the entrance. Other than that check-in was quite easy, despite the fact that I had arrived 4 hours ahead of their published check-in time.

The room was a little on the small side, but for one person just to sleep overnight it was quite adequate. I did discover that one of the windows leaked and there was a puddle of water on the very wide window ledge. It seems to be typical in China that nobody ever reports these things to management!

I've been sleeping on an ultra-hard mattress in China for the past two years, so the bed here was a real treat - firm, but not a rock. It was the best sleep I've had since some time last year! I did think the A/C fan was a bit loud but for some reason it did not disturb my sleep. There is an in-room safe and both wired and wireless internet.

The bathroom was quite small and had no bathtub, however, the shower stall was quite large. The downside was that water did not drain quickly enough (possibly plugged somewhere) and I had to keep stopping the water to let it out. The bath towels were more of the size of beach towels and quite thick and fluffy. Bath robes were provided (and slippers).

Rather than go to the restaurant for breakfast I ordered through room service on the overnight card on the door. I guess they can't read very well. On my order:
1. Bacon, eggs and coffee were fine.
2. The muesli strangely looked and tasted like cornflakes.
3. The pineapple juice wasn't. Whatever it was I liked the taste, but it was not what I ordered.
4. Toast usually requires actually putting the bread in a toaster!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank AllanPage
angelaw513, Web Interactive Marketing Specialist at Holiday Inn Chengdu Century City- West Tower, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Dear Allan, it is a pleasure to have your comments after stay in our hotel. Holiday Inn is the brand under IHG distributed worldwide. We are happy to hear that you had a good sleep here. At the same time, your suggestion on drainage system and window problem are important to us. We hope our improvement may create good experience for all the guests here. It is a kind suggest that you may remark your preference of bathtub during your room reservation or call our duty manager to try to arrange one. We sincerely hope you may revisit Chengdu and come to us again.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

I arrived pretty late, around midnight. Check in was efficient.
After a long flight I wanted a drink in the bar, that was supposed to be open until 1. I went there, and they were closing early.. No guests.
I went to sleep. The beds are above average, and slept well. Breakfast has one of the larger selections I have experienced in China, but it is also one of the most crowded breakfasts you can get. You are not as in most Chinese hotels given a table, you are pointed in a general direction where they may be a table free, and clean..
Check out was slow, the people at the front desk were continuously, interrupted by people who did not want to stand in line...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Dear Johan, welcome to Holiday Inn Chengdu Century City! It is our honor to hear you like our breakfast and beds. In regarding to your check out experience, it is our goal to provide with guest convenient and detailed services. Thank you for your comments so that we could improve and be the hotel that guest love. We are expecting your next trip here.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

The hotel room were clean, new and modern. Wifi in room available. The hotel is a big hotel and I have a feeling of too many people everywhere in the hotel. They dont have enough staffs to take care of the guests and the check in took too long than it should take. Breakfast was good. Everything was fine , just too many guest and need more personel to improve service.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Angela W, Web Interactive Marketing Specialist at Holiday Inn Chengdu Century City- West Tower, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Dear guest, thank you for your stay and the message left for us to improve. We are pleasured to provide with comfortable room and foods during your business trip, while we are sorry for taking too much time for your check-in. It is kindly suggested that you may bring up your preference of less noisy room during reservation so that it is easier for us to arrange as much as we could in advance. Sincerely, we are expecting your next cozier stay here.