“Holiday Inn Express above the others”

Holiday Inn Express Chengdu Gulou
Ranked #28 of 2,730 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Same basic set up of the room but with a little twist: dark wood as opposed to the usual dull pine look alike. So, you feel like like in a better property. Excellent beds. Immaculately cleaned and maintained. Great service at front desk. This one actually has a restaurant that serves lunches and dinners. The biggest star is the breakfast! This one must to be the best in China so far. While it of course does not compare to the legendary spread at Holiday Inn Express Rome San Giovanni (which has the most horrible beds) but it is simply excellent. Coffee is exquisite. The nicest gem is located on a street directly behind the hotel. Tucked in an obscure shop there is a place that sells the best steamed buns (2 for RMB 1) - real bargain. Who knows what the "meat" is inside but it tastes fabulous!

Room Tip: Ask to have the room away from the street. View is nothing to sneeze at but you get a reprieve from...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Tulacz

Reviewed January 5, 2014

The hotel is about 20 mins walk away from Chunxi Road, the main shopping area. The rooms were spotless and warm. The staff were extremely helpful and went all out make out stay convenient. For example, we were suppose to check-out of 1-room and into another because of a change in the number of occupants. The front office staff made the change immediately at 730am in the morning. She also arrange for the room to be on the same floor side-by-side, so that we could move out luggage conveniently. Taxis might be hard to come by in the evenings around 730pm to 830pm.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I chose this hotel based on its price, and this hotel provided that much: good price, not much else.

Upon check in, no bell desk to be found; ok granted, it is a Holiday Inn EXPRESS, after all. Staff was nice, but not out of their way great.

Room was of good size, bed quite comfortable, but not as soft as some reviews mentioned. They did provide the "Hard" and "Soft" pillows though. Bathroom is good, too bad they only provide a large bottle of "Lux shampoo/bath gel", no conditioner. Wifi was mostly good, no complains.

The breakfast included was a joke. Same food everyday, mostly greasy and tasteless. Not much choice, in a Chinese hotel standard.

Tour desk behind/slightly to the side of the front desk was sketchy at best, overpriced and non helpful. We had to go across the street to the bigger hotel to book our tours.

Location of the hotel was good, close proximity to one of the opera houses, the block down the hotel was a cell phone galore. We even walked to the shopping area, which was a 10 mins slow walk. A 7-11 and a few Chinese equivalent of it were right across the street, very convenient to buy water and such.

Given what I know now, would have chosen a higher rated hotel, even if I had to pay more.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Queensppl
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My husband, mother-in-law, and I stayed here for 3 nights in November for an overall great experience. Westerners will feel very comfortable here. The front desk speaks English and the continental breakfast offers both Chinese and Western food. Rooms are very clean, and the standard is definitely a step up from a US Holiday Inn. Highly recommended, if you're willing to spend the money beyond a backpacker budget!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2013

First time be in this hotel.
Better location than HIX Wuhou, this one is near by Tianfu square. And the service is better too.
Good traffic, easy to take the taxi.
The Bed is just ok, but pillow is good.
Food tastes good and the size is big enough for me.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This was my first time to Chengdu, and the 4th hotel I stayed during my 1 week trip. Initially I booked the Crowne Plaza Chengdu, but so many people rated 5-stars here, and it is much cheaper price, so I changed my mind and wanted to try this hotel instead. Being a Holiday Inn Express, I didn't have high expectation.

First of all, the hotel location is OK, about 15-20 min walk to Chun Xi Lu shopping area, in a back street. Now, the Crowne Plaza is directly across from Chun Xi Lu, if you want such convenience. I didn't really walk to any other place because my friend drove me so I could not comment about that. The hotel is about 3-4 years old, but for a Holiday Inn "Express", it is pretty good. Rooms are simple and lightly decorated, so that's all OK.

I didn't have breakfast because 2nd day I went to a tour so I left early in the morning. 3rd day I left for airport also early so I didn't use the breakfast. When I went to tour, I asked the front desk to pack me a to-go breakfast. They did, but it included 1-egg, 2 buns, 1 apple. That's it. The morning I left for airport, it didn't even have an egg. So the pack-breakfast was light. Also, they cannot change money in the hotel.

But why do I say the staff could be friendlier... here is why. When I checked in, there were 3 ropes, making 2 lines to the front desk counter. When I checked in, there was no body ahead of me. No one greeted me and say hello or anything; I think they were looking down on something. So I walked up to the left line. Then a girl moves to her left, and asked me to go to the right line, while I was already at the left line, at the counter, when they were all free and not checking in anyone. Because I was carry a large size luggage and I had to turn the luggage around, I was thinking, if you had greeted me when I first walked in and pointed me to the right line, I would have gone there initially. I am the customer, why couldn't you check me in at the counter where I already stood. And she didn't have a friendly smile. Then she couldn't find my reservation when I gave her my passport. Technically, my passport is "Christopher" and I usually always use "chris", so she couldn't find it. I said, yes, I have reservation.... only then she saw the reservation. I never had that in other hotels. Second episode was next morning waiting for the tour at the lobby. The tour was late, but they couldn't get hold of me cuz I didn't have a China phone and I was already at the lobby. I asked the guy if the tour usually comes in and call out for people. He says he didn't know. I was surprised that he didn't know, since the tour has an office right there and he should know how the tour usually operates. Anyways, I didn't say they had "bad" service, but my experience is not as friendly or great as some other people.

Due to price, its not a bad hotel. I would stay again because I am IHG member, but if Crowne Plaza has a good deal, I would try that. Or if your business takes you to other parts of Chengdu, I would try other hotels as well.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ChrisW70
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The location is very good, just a few minutes walk from Tian Fu Square (where the airport bus #2 drops you) and from Chun Xi Lu shopping and dining area. Also walking distance (15 mins) from the great Wen Shu monastery. The room was clean and comfortable for the most part. However, the air conditioning was a little on the weak side and there were a few small cleanliness issues, but for the large part, a good hotel room. A fridge would have been a nice touch. The main problem with the hotel is the level of service in China in general. Ice is available during limited hours only, and never at a time when we wanted a nice cold drink in our room. The level of English was not great. The food in the restaurant was good, but again, service was not good, with frequent misunderstandings and denials of requests. No glasses for drinks - I had to drink orange juice from a mug, for example. Also, at 10pm, the staff handed us a notice saying that they were going home and would we please pay now!! The internet was slow and many sites, like facebook were not available, although I know this is a common problem in China. I would stay again, but would love to see this hotel up its service as it could be a really good place, and the value for money is great.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family