“Great stay, great location great staff”

Chengdu Dragon Town Sichuan Style Hostel
Ranked #90 of 334 Specialty Lodging in Chengdu
Canberra, Australia
“Great stay, great location great staff”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We have stayed at the Dragon Town on two separate occasions and cannot speak highly enough. The staff always go out of there way to accommodate for your needs. The location is a real draw card of this place, located in the restored area of Chengdu streets of old, you feel safe walking back to the hostel after a big day out and about in city or country side. Backpacker prices, with the option of upgrades to the more exec room(still backpacker's but upgraded). Try restaurant across the lane and sit upstairs to street watch for an afternoon. :-) I will be back to see the Panda's again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at the Dragon Town International Youth Hostel during our family trip to China, with our 2 year old son. The hostel has a nice courtyard, in which my son could run around and feed the fish in the fish pond. The staff members were so friendly and helpful to us! They played with my son, helped us with booking our flight to Shangrila and our next hostel, provided travel information on all the places we visited in Sichuan, helped us book hotels. It was truly an amazing service!
As written in other reviews, the location of the hostel is awesome, in a pedestrian zone with many restaurants and bars, close to the People's Park and the bus station.
To summarize, we really enjoyed our stay in the Dragon Town. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2011

This is down a little pedestrianised street which is full of little bars, restaurants and shops and feels increadbly safe at all hours. The trip to the panda sanctuary is definitly a must and a bargain, and along with a visit to the crazy 'peoples park' it was the highlight of the trip. The room was big, as was the bathroom in the double ensuite however it has a lingering damp smell. It was fine for the two days we were there, but not sure for much longer. Although it is a hostel, they didnt service the room each day (empty toilet bin) which we have been used to in other hostels in China. All in all, the location and price made it a good place to stay.

Room Tip: maybe opt for an upstairs room as this may eliviate the damp smell.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We stayed here the first nights of our China and Tibet roundtrip, and we loved it. Ok - it really isn't perfect. There were a couple of cockroaches hiding under our bathtub, and the aircon were either really high or really low, and the old computer had internet not even worthy of 1995.
But all that aside, I have very fond memories of this hostel. It has loads of charm, it has an easygoing spirit, easy to meet people, and just a general really good atmosphere. This, to me, is more important that anything else. You know, that x factor. This place has it. The staff was helpful too, the breakfast was really tasty, and served outside in a beautiful little courtyard. My favourite aspect was probably the location. It is just on a little backstreet full of street food stalls and little local restaurants, which is where we had one of our best meals in China. The Sichuan BBQ, oh my god! Fantastic. And the hostel was just a few footsteps away, the perfect place to roll into after cruising the neighbourhood beer and BBQ crowds. Biased by good memories, perhaps, but I loved it. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Initially I choose this hostel because of its heritage value along the kuan lane but I believe I was not enjoying the sleep.

Here is my review.
Environment : Hostel has its heritage beauty of a chinese cultural home from the entrance door only but inside the hostel is all modern design.

Around Hostel: This is the only area I like about this hostel where its located at a heritage lane with many modern cafes and restaurant but is all splurge.

Staff : Staff is friendly and helpful.

Room & Sleep Quality : I would say this is the worst as I am comparing only the 4 bed/room. Our room is near the entrance and the walkway is all wooden path which make it very noisy even during nighttime as people are walking in and out.

I would only recommend this hostel if you like chinese heritage and also staying at splurge room inside and at 2nd floor.

Room Tip: Room inside and at upper floors are less noisy.
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2011

The hostel is on a back street near one of the main shopping streets and the bell and drum towers in the old town . The street is frequented by locals and I guess some people may find this threatening but when we were there we had no problem.
Easy bus ride from Xi'an central train station ( make sure you get a train ticket for the central station not Xi'an south!)
The hostel has great tips on travelling around the area in tours or on your own.
The staff are friendly and the downstairs bar and unstairs roof terrace are really cool. We had a double room ensuite on the ground floor. The room itself was quite dark as it faced onto a wall. It was also a bit noisy as the bar was only a couple of meters away. The bathroom was clean but smelt a little musty. If I was to stay here again then I would ask for a room on another floor.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 6, 2010

found this place on map but a bit down about them. After make the online booking, no one will contact u like they never exists. Even when I try to send them emails twice, still no reply. We have to do some kind of risky exploring to go there. Thanks god, we finnally have got a room.

Noisy as all youth hostels, location and atmosphere are good. All facilities are OK considering the price. However, it is just a so so hostel, nothing exordinary good. Nothing need to remember particularsly. I will forget this place soon.

• Stayed October 2010