“Amazing!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Private Day Trip to Yungang Grottoes and Hengshan Hanging Temple from Datong
Ranked #1 of 64 things to do in Datong
More attraction details
Owner description: There are over 50 caves with over 50,000 well-preserved Buddhist statues from the 5th century.
Basel, Switzerland
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Amazing!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

By all means one of the best sights I've ever seen. It is very impressive, all the carvings of Buddhas. You cannot stop admiring the work that was done. It is a big and interesting sight so spare half day and buy an audio guide.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Yungang Grottoes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

The ability of man to take a mountain and dedicate it to their religion. The carvings are incredible. All are easy to access and most can be photographed

Visited April 2012
Beijing, China
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

It is an amazing and outstanding place. I would definitely try to hire a tour guide next time so it will help me to understand more of its history! However, I wish the government or someone could try to provide more helps to protect this area.

Visited October 2012
Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 151 helpful votes
“Stunning and excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is a must see when travelling to Datong. Its one of the best I ever seen. (during Sept 2012) some parts are under renovation.

Visited September 2012
Singapore, Singapore
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Impressive Cravings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

They put in a lot of effort in this attraction I can see but there are some things that I should state here clearly. 1. The entrance including the ticketing area is very very grand and splendid. Wow. 2. Female toilet at entrance: cubicle door - yes but no lock. I don't remember any seated toilet. cleanliness - 2.5/5 stars I took 0.5 off for the smell. hand-washing sinks are very clean with decent looking hand liquid soap. 3. The ticketing counter convinced me to purchase a map which is in chinese - some nice photos which you can take yourself and a whole lot of chinese words which is too painful for me to figure out. We used DK Eyewitness Travel CHINA which is very very useful and informative throughout our whole trip. 4. Spectacular grounds and beautiful temples covering 90% of the area - not the real reason why we are there for. I comment on the good effort but it is a winding walk to the Grottoes or otherwise a 10RMB ride on the golf cabby. I hope the effort does not give tourists the wrong impression that these are all restored from old structures. These are all designed and built in the recent years. I got a little disoriented. 5. So head straight to the real stuff - the grottoes! That's what we are all here for. Take your own time, take some beautiful photos, breathe in the fresh air and appreciate the the beautiful cravings. There are some stone cravings in Chinese talking about the restoration efforts which I think they should display and translate them properly instead of putting them in a dark corner. 6. They put up some dance and ritual performances which thankfully took the crowd away from the cravings - yay! 7. Female toilet at exit: attempt at your own risk - 'nuff said. 8. You have to walk through street of restaurants and souvenir shops. 9. Transportation: 130RMB driver booked from hotel to and fro. We took cab 35RMB on meter each way. Look for the cabs parked outside the Entrance Wall where the bus stop is. We walked to a group of hasslers to a decent-looking cab driver parked furthest and asked for metered fare. 10. I saw luggage deposit at the entrance but didn't use it.

Visited September 2012