“Good breakfast and gym, but the rooms...”

Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao
Ranked #1 of 1,688 Hotels in Qingdao
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Indeed, some of the reviews say it, the hotel has seen its best days. The lobby and seating area looks impressive, the coffee shop and the breakfast there is excellent and the pool (25m!) plus gym great. BUT, please, change the carpets. They are full of stains and in the passage ways you see the traces of millions of luggage pieces dragged along...
It is a pity, as I wonder how much this would cost to upgrade.
Staff is very helpful, newspaper at the door, all is great.
Regarding the location? They are currently building the Qingdao subway system and there is a huge building site in front of the hotel. In general the city is extremely dusty, lots of industry along the road from the airport and the air pollution horrible in the month I visited (August). For I holiday, sorry, I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
SLQCHINA, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear RSF15,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience in the hotel. The team and I want you to know that your feedback is very important to us. We are delighted that you have enjoyed our buffet and health club facilities. Thank you for your feedback on our carpet and rest assured we will improve earnestly. Our maintenance program is a continued process.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at henry.lee@shangri-la.com if your travel arrangement brings you back to Qingdao. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours Sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao

Reviewed August 5, 2013

After checking Tripadvisor before booking, we chose to stay in the Valley Wing and are very glad we did. On arrival, a group of about 4 staff were standing waiting for us and greeted us by name as we came into the lobby. One of them handed us a red rose(!) and we were taken up to our room where the check-in process was smoothly and electronically done.

All the Valley Wing rooms are Executive rooms and are large, well furnished with king bed, sofa and easy chair, and a fully equipped desk. They have a large, double-entry bathroom which had double basins, a separate shower as well as a deep, soaking bath.

The outstanding feature of the Valley Wing is the Executive Lounge which is very big and has several separate seating areas for relaxing and for eating. On the top floor, with floor to ceiling glass, the lounge has a good view of the city and the East China Sea. Both the breakfast and evening buffets were extraordinary - they were huge with an amazing choice of dishes that included SE Asian to European/American.

The Qingdao Metro was being built just outside the hotel and the site is operational 24/7! This was another reason we were glad to have stayed in the Valley Wing. The noise from the construction work was barely audible through the double-glazed windows. One of us is a very light sleeper and was never woken early by the construction. It looks like a project that will last for months and be more disturbing to those staying in the City Wing.

The service from all the staff was excellent. Everyone we met went out of their way to look after us and give us what we needed, including one concierge who worked 3 hours after his finishing time to guide us around Qingdao as we collected train tickets and organised a local SIM card.

The only difficulty we sometimes had was the language barrier. Only a very few members of staff spoke English and they seemed to be limited to one or two front desk staff and a couple in the lounge. Frequently, trying to speak to the 'service centre' was an exercise in frustration. And, despite promises, no English-speaking person ever called back to resolve the issue.

If you are running an international hotel - especially one with Shangri-La's standards - it would be a good idea to ensure that there was at least one available English-speaking member of staff on each shift. We didn't expect everyone to speak English but it was very frustrating at times to find no-one who did!

Finally, we must commend the ladies in the nail salon. We had the best pedicure and manicure we've ever had - and all organised using sign language only (no English at all!)!

Room Tip: Go for the Valley Wing - newer, larger, executive rooms + executive lounge
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
SLQCHINA, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear BillandC00,

Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao and sharing your experience of our hotel. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay at our exclusive Valley Wing Executive Room. Your feedback on our colleagues has been noted and shared with the relevant department heads and training team concerned. We will take proper action to improve.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao in the not so distant future.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Obviously, the hotel has been operating for years. But Shangri-la is still an icon for lux design and great service.
I know this is the peak season of the year for the city of Qingdao, and Shangri-la has put a lot of effort in making things right. I will give rate a 4 star here, but I still think there were still some minor points that could have been done better.

1. Check-in. Don't know what went wrong, but my check-in date was marked one day later then my actual arrival date in their reservation system. It seemed that the entire hotel was completely overbooked. Anyway, after a 25 minutes wait during the discussion between receptionist and the hotel sales person, I got a room key. No apology, no compensation, and no upgrade.

2. I checked out at 5:45 in the morning for my early flight. There was no body help me with my luggage after I paid my bill.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
SLQCHINA, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear richyding,

Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao and sharing your comments with us.

At the outset, we sincerely apologized for the inconvenience caused during your stay with us. The feedback has been shared with our department heads concerned and the issues will be corrected.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Very nice hotel, exactly what you expect from a hotel when you are on a business trip. Service is very good, and the personnel very attentive. there are different restaurants in it and you can really find what you like. One of the best buffets around!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
SLQCHINA, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Josh,

Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao. My team and I are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us, especially our service and buffet. We look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao in the not too distant future.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel before on business and was there again this weekend. When I checked in they were out of my class of room and upgraded me to a suite, a very nice gesture since I am not a premium member of their loyalty program. Checkin was smooth and quick. No complaints as the Front Desk staff was very friendly and knew to the day the last time I visited.

As I mentioned I was upgraded to a sweet, it was roomy and neat. It was a little tired but clean and tidy nonetheless. This trip I was a little under the weather and just needed to rest. I placed the do not disturb sign on the door and slept throudh maid service. I received one phone call to ask when they could tidy up the room. When I explained I was under the weather they did disturb me again and made it known that they were available if I needed them. I sensed real concern with my well being and that was very comforting.

My second morning there I was finally ready for breakfast and their buffet is excellent. It is a typical international breakfast Buffett and everyone should be able to find something they like. I returned for their luncheon BBQ Buffett and was amazed at the selection. Because I was just recovering from my travel illness I passed on the lobster and other shell fish, but the selection was really great.

I was there to escort a group and the hotel did an excellent job of assisting with carts of luggage and helping us load the bus. With one exception the bell staff was at the room at the requested time. Considering the very large group coming in when we were checking out, the late bellman was understandable.

All in all, I would stay here again. It is one of the better hotels in Qindao and it is convenient to the Marina area.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
SLQCHINA, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Walmack,

Thank you for choosing Shangri-la Hotel, Qingdao and sharing your experience in the hotel. My team and I are delighted to learn that you are happy with our services and facilities, especially our buffet. We want you to know that your feedback is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I love the shangri la chain - normally great service and comfortable rooms.

This one is a disappointment - lobby looked great but as soon as you step in the lift. You know this hotel had been around for awhile. The corridors remind one of a 3 star hotel and the room - although the layout is a typical shangri la set up. But frankly, like a old rip off of a normal shangri la.

My first time here - so I don't know better

• Stayed: June 2013
SLQCHINA, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear CY L,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao.

We sincerely apologize for the quality let down. Your comments are truly noted and will be shared with our department heads concerned. Our preventive maintenance program is a continued process in the hotel.

We want you to know that you are very important to us and we value your feedback.
Please do not hesitate to contact me at henry.lee@shangri-la.com should your travel arrangement brings you back to Qingdao. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Visit Qingdao again after 7 years ... The same hotel every time I m here (used to visit this city more often in my old job). Not so impressed this time for the hotel room is quite old now ... Maintenance isnt too bad but feeling things here are all dated n aged. After putting the key card, I literally had to switch on the lights in the room one by one. N there is mosquito too. So i had to set the aircon at lower temperature. Cheap rate ... But as biz traveller, i think i deserve a bit better than this.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
SLQCHINA, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear wynsum,

Thank you for your feedback of Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao.

At the outset, we would like to extend our sincere apologies that your recent stay was not a qualifying success. I sincerely hope you would indulge us on this occasion. Rest assured that our refurbishment and maintenance program is a continued process at Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at henry.lee@shangri-la.com should your travel arrangements brings you back to Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Thank you for staying with us.