“just the best”

Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao
Ranked #2 of 1,738 Hotels in Qingdao
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Perfect hotel if you are staing in Qingdao. The location is right in downtown, rooms are very comfortable, price is reasonable. They have one of the best Italian restaurants in the city with excellent and comfortable environment, delicious food and surpeisingly low prices (round $10-15 a dish).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,025)

Reviewed September 29, 2011

I stayed at the Qingdao Shangri-la for two nights, and was there for a business conference. The hotel is located in the business district.

This was my first stay at a Shangri-la hotel, but I am a frequent user of their bar and restaurants in the hotel in Pudong, Shanghai. I had also checked out the executive rooms at the Shanghai branch before (which is excellent, by the way) so my expectations were high.

Our rooms (we were 3 colleagues in total) were booked through the conference organisers (1500 CNY/night) and we were told upon arrival that it was not possible to get a room in the Valley Wing, even if we paid extra, as the hotel was fully booked. Fair enough. Furthermore, no clean rooms were available upon arrival, and we had to wait about 2 hours for the rooms to be ready. No big deal, we sat and had a coffee in the lounge, but I had expected them to be prepared for the large amount of people coming in for the conference.

So we were staying in the City Wing, which is the old part of the hotel. Although the rooms were clean and had all the amenities you would expect, they looked quite dated and did not stand out from other 4-5 star hotels I have visited. Complimentary bottles of water and a plate of fruit was a nice touch. Free WiFi in the rooms and lobby is also good. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I had hoped for more since this was at the Shangri-la after all, one of the most luxurious hotel chains in Asia.

Breakfast was served at the YUM cafe on the groundfloor and had a good selection of Asian and Western food as well as fresh fruit, cereals, juices and coffee.

There is also a good bar at the lobby floor, some claim it's the best bar in Qingdao.

The lobby area and the general impression of the hotel is very good, and service is holding a high standard, just as you would expect. I am giving this hotel a 4 out of 5 star rating, but the rooms in the City Wing feels more like a 3 out of 5 stars. I would like to come back to this hotel, but the next time I will stay in the new Valley Wing.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This was my second stay in a Shangri-la Hotel, having also stayed in the Beijing China World Wing, and put quite simply, my stay was about as perfect as a stay could have been.

This is my first ever online review, and I have chosen to review primarily because I believe the Shangri-La in Qingdao deserves to be recognised for it's outstanding quality.

Firstly let me say that I was staying as part of a romantic weekend away. I emailed the Hotel in advance of my arrival and informed them of the occasion and reason I was staying in Qingdao. Upon arrival, we were treated as Royalty. Without saying a word we were greeted by 2 members of staff who presented us with Flowers before escorting us to the room. (I still have no idea how they knew it was us who walked through the door!).

Check-in was then done in the room after being presented with a Cake that was in the room and a box of posh chocolates. The two managers, Customer Service Manager and Quality Improvement manager, took our photo and then departed. It was quite simply the best check-in procedure I have ever encountered.

The room, in the Valley Wing, was huge (boasts to be the largest in the City), very comfortable bed, huge bathroom with his/hers Sinks, rainforest shower and separate bath tub. Free Fruit was also provided along with normal Hotel Instant Coffee and Tea facilities.

The remainder of the weekend was equally perfect. The Executive Lounge in the Valley Wing offered a great view of the coast and service was exceptional. Free Champagne, Beer, Cocktails and Canapés were offered throughout the day. Breakfast was also served in the Executive Lounge and was a fantastic feast of Fruit, Eggs, Chinese Breakfast, Pastries and Western Hot food, not to mention fantastic coffee!

We are only there for a total of 2 days, one night, but it felt like a lot longer since we were made to feel so welcome and at home.

The Location was also good. It was in the Business area of Qingdao but on the plus side was only a short 5 minute walk to the board-walk for great views across the bay. It's also only a short 5-10 minute taxi ride into the main centre for attractions such as the Tstingtao Brewery / Beer Museum and Culture Street. The advantage of being further away from the centre is that you get great views of the Sea from the both the rooms and the lounge.

Our perfect stay was topped off by a presentation of Shandong Tea, and a picture frame that contained the photo that they took the day previous.

We were both left speechless at the end of this perfect stay, and made us want to never stay anywhere else other than Shangri-La Hotels. All credit goes to the Customer Service Manager and Quality Improvement Manager who took care of the little details that made the weekend so memorable.

From a less emotive and more financial perspective, I also thought this was amazing value. 1,600 RMB for the room included Breakfast, Access to the Executive Lounge with Free Champagne, Beer and Cocktails all day along with selected canapés. We also arranged a late checkout of 4pm (free of charge) as our flight wasn't until later that evening.

We also ate at the Da Vinci Italian Restaurant. This was also great value, totalling just over 350 RMB per person including Wine. Considering this included my Seafood Platter main which was the most expensive dish on the Menu at 230 RMB, but was simply diving Lobster, Prawns and Pan-fried Grouper.

So all in all, an amazing stay! - and in my opinion, there is no finer place to stay when in Qingdao than in the Shangri-La. It was, quite simply; Perfect!

Room Tip: Book in the Valley Wing - Amazing Rooms and Great Value
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nabbas
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I'm staying in Shangri-la (Qingdao) for traveling - 5 days. And will check out tmr. I'm so disapponited with their services; without any feeling of hospitality. If you wanna go Qingdao for traveling, don't stay here. It is a business hotel or if you were Korean, it'd be better. As I can't do on-line check in from my I-phone so asked for hotel staff helping. Their attitude is totally rubbish and they are only concerned with a group of Korean. It is not fair for us as we paid same rate. And one more thing, if u go to Mt.Laoshan - find a honest taxi driver. As Shangri-la in Qingdao, they don't provide any tour for their guests. You need arrange it by yourself. Besides, don't need visit Taoism temple in Mt.Laoshan. In there, people always push you to pay. So directly go to catch cable car to mountain and don't visit any temple (not worth).
Anyway so disappointed to stay in Qingdao Shangri-la. Their services is not 5 star standard and can't compare with Xian Shangri-la. I stayed there last year.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Since my wife speaks Chinese, I usually don't stay in Five Star Hotels since I don't necessarily need hotel staff that speaks English. I had previously stayed in the Shangri-La in Dalian and this one is not as nice as Dalian but still meets a western standard. The staff is plentiful and they really do try to provide a high level of service though the truth is the Chinese don't quite get top-notch service. The staff can be overly eager to help you which can be slightly annoying. We went for the beer festival and my friend's 50th birthday. They figured that out from his passport and gave him a complimentary cake. That was a nice touch. The lobby bar was nice. They are building the Qingdao Metro(subway) out in front of the hotel which hinders traffic flow in and out of the hotel but there is nothing the hotel can do about that. One complaint is the room safe is too small to fit a laptop. I don't like leaving my laptop out in the room. Free Wifi in the rooms. All and all a good choice in Qingdao.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lbeachey
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Been staying at Shangri-La Qingdao a couple of times before but my recently stay at the Valley Wing was truely a great experience. The standard room was even more spacious than those in the old City Wing, tastfully furnished and spotlessly clean. The bath room was huge with both shower cubicle and bath tub. Free bottles of water, fruits and WiFi in room. The housekeeping staff even left personal notes in my room with warm greetings. Breakfast was sumptuous as usual with so many choices and the waiting staff were all helpful. Superb.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BandBtraveller
Reviewed July 21, 2011

This is my favorite hotel in Quingdao. Have stayed there several times always getting great service.
Comfortable and spacious rooms, good restaurants. Even during renovation of part of the hotel they managed to maintain great service level. Congratulations!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business