“Go to Laoshan”

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Go to Laoshan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

The drive up the coast is well worth it for the scenery alone. The Taoist temples and gardens are a great place for walking and contemplation with a great sense of history

Visited January 2011
1 Thank Pounamu-s

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Beware of Tourist Trap by "Villagers's Restaurant"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

My in laws, my husband and I booked a cab to Laoshan. At the junction of the "Sansui" (literally means Three Waters), there was a road barriered up. A man waved to us and claimed that that is the only way up to the Inner Nine Waters and he can lead us up there on the condition that we must dine at his restaurant.

After taking into consideration of f my in-laws's age and health condition, I decided to give in and took the 'short cut' up. My in-laws stayed at the restaurant as they are not fit to climb up the scenic area. While they were waiting, they ordered a chicken and a fish. They did asked for the price of the fish, at RMB70. After my husband and I came back from the scneic area, I ordered some so called Wild Mushroom and Wild Vegetable, which cost RMB45 and RMB30 respectively. I thoguht the veggies were expensive but I felt that I had no choice. I did not check the price of the dishes my in laws orderd, as they told me it's reasonable.
Howevver, it turned out that they did not ask for the price of the chicken, which cost us RMB180, it's chicken soup boiled with 3 stalks of parsley. Now this is not one of those posh places, they run a Inn which costs RMB30 per night!

One of the things that really pisses me when travelling in China (besdies excessive entrance fees at every little place) is this - it's full of traps, and they don't cheat you for a small amount. But as a foreigner, one feels helpless. And I actually knew the language to be able to get around as independent traveler.

It's such a pity because it is a beautiful country. But traveling here is so much more stressful even if you knew the language.

They only thing I can do is to post this on as many websites as possible.

Later I found out that there is another route in besides the barriered road. I don't know if my cab driver had not known it before or had some dels with the restaurant. Ps I heard all restaurants take turn to man the barriered road so it does not matter which one I dined at, but the name is Hong Sheng

Visited September 2011
2 Thank yapts
Auburn
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Amazing, Fun and Beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

Beautiful, hike, river, waterfalls and Taoist temple. Impossible to reserve a hotel online. Several available near parking lot and along park entrance road. Room in "family hotel" was 120 RMB, midweek in June. Room with private bath in larger hotel was 250 RMB. Both include Chinese breakfast.

Visited June 2011