“Two nights in Qingdao”

Le Meridien Qingdao
Ranked #13 of 1,703 Hotels in Qingdao
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed here two nights based on a special rate. It was not a great experience. The materials for a good hotel are here. The rooms are large and nice, but I waited 4 minutes for the water to get hot and the AC did not cool the room effectively, it never got under 23C while i was there. I also could not get the internet in the room to work with my MacAir so I used the wireless in the lobby, which is inconvenient. The lobby was huge but rather dark because of deep colored drapes and furnishings. It was next to a nice shopping area with a Starbucks and McDonalds. I will probably stay closer to the beach on the next trip. I ate at the Breakfast buffet the first day and lots of spread but chose McDonalds the next morning. The staff were helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
ManagementLMandSI, Administrative Assistant to General Manager at Le Meridien Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Dear Reviewer, thank you for choosing of Le Meridien Qingdao. We were thrilled being able to hopefully offer you an energizing and uplifting stay with us and the entire team was honored to be at your service. I thank you for taking your precious time recognizing some of our wonderful talents and at the same time, would like to apologize for the unpleasant experiences you encountered during your stay. We do agree that some points should not have occured; other points may not have been really presented in the full context. Please allow us to contact with you so we may eventually be able to reply personally. Once again, we thank you for your valuable comments and we are looking forward to welcoming you soon back at Le Meridien Qing Dao.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I recently visited Qingdao for a business conference that was held at the Le Meridien. Upon arrival, I found the lobby to be clean and modern and the check-in staff were very competent with their English. I speak no Mandarin, so I was very happy about that.

I booked a club level room but was upgraded to a suite on the 10th floor with club level access. The room was very large and comfortable. It was well-appointed, clean, and my only complaint was a slow-draining shower for the first couple of days. Housekeeping was generous with complimentary bottled water throughout my stay, which I greatly appreciated.

Club level access was nice. On evenings when I did not want a heavy meal, I found the hors d'oeuvres to be just enough to get me through until breakfast. The breakfast buffet was large with a good western selection. It was a typical buffet and on par with other full-service international hotels where I have stayed. (That is a compliment, not a complaint.)

Service was very good throughout the hotel, from check-in to the bell desk to the restaurant staff to the staff that worked our conference.

The location is not near the water, but there is a mall next door to the hotel which was convenient. There are a handful of western fast food restaurants there in case you want a nearby break from the local options.

I would happily stay here again, even without a suite upgrade. If you are in Qingdao on business and you're looking for a hotel that legitimately earns its rating, you should definitely consider the Le Meridien Qingdao.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
ManagementLMandSI, Administrive Assistant to General Manager at Le Meridien Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear Reviewer, thank you for choosing Le Meridien Qing Dao, we were thrilled being able to hopefully offer you an energizing and uplifting stay with us and the entire team was honored to be at your service. I apologize for any unpleasant experience you had about the slow-draining shower during your stay, and we definitely will enhance the room falities provided to guests and a serious room inspection before guest arrival. Thank you for your information, and we hope you will allow us welcoming you soon back at Le Meridien Qing Dao!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

The hotel itself seemed really nice. The room spacious, the check in process not too slow. Everything looked modern and nice. But once in my room I noticed that there was a sticker from someone's deodorant applied to the door jam, I saw a wad of something above the bathtub that turned out to be wet toilette paper dried to the ceiling, the TV remote had blood on it and there was a light brown stain on the leather desk chair (feces). IOW the room was filthy! Using what soap and other things I had I cleaned the room myself. I was really disappointed in the poor housekeeping. Other parts of the stay were more enjoyable. Room service was good, the bed comfortable TV and the ability to hook a lap top to the TV were great. Room size was also excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the front. There can be events out the front and it will get a little nois...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
ManagementLMandSI, General Manager at Le Meridien Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear Reviewer, I am very sorry to hear about the poor experience that you had during your recent visit. I am disappointed that this has happened to you and was wondering if you could give me your contact details so I could apologise in person. This is the first time I have heard of such an experience. I would appreciate the opportunity to correct this for you as well as find the details to follow up with my team. My contact email address is david.ness@lemeridien.com.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

David Ness
General Manager Le Meridien Qing Dao

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Beautiful hotel and as a Starwood Platinum member, I received an automatic suite upgrade plus all the usual benefits connected to the club lounge - happy hour and breakfast. Much enjoyed and appreciated.

Here's the 'but'...

The folks managing the swimming pool upset me with their insensitive attitude towards a guest that could have been quite badly hurt. Here's what happened:

Coming out of the sauna in the the pool changing rooms, I tripped over the glass weighing scales that had been careless left in a place where people walk. The scales flipped over and shattered on the tile floor - there was broken glass everywhere. Although I was wearing flip flops, there were two shards of glass in my foot - not too serious and didn't really hurt but did cause a drop or two of blood on the side of my heel. However, I was more concerned about my 7-year old son who was barefoot and surrounded by broken glass; I told him to stay still and I crunched over the glass to lift him to safety. Fortunately, he wasn't cut.

My next concern was to alert the staff. I couldn't find any staff inside the pool changing rooms so I went outside to the desk where they give you locker keys and informed them of what had happened.

Pleased that I had done my duty to warn people, my son and I went for a swim.

Ok, now imagine just how upset I was when, handing in my locker key, the staff there told me I would be billed for the scales. Unbelievable!

My response to them was that they should not treat their guests in such a poor way and I would not give them a penny.

After 12 years of living in China, I've concluded that when something like this happens in Western countries, management usually falls over itself apologizing and tries to make you happy; in China, where attitudes pertaining to health and safety are very different, it's your fault for not looking where you were going and you'll be expect to pay up. This might be a bit of a generalization but, in my experience, there is a lot of truth to it. And, yes, it's due to cultural differences but I still don't like it and not something I expect at a 5 star international hotel.

This was my second stay at this particular Le Meridien and I would not let this isolated incident put me off from staying there again because everything else was very good.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
ManagementLMandSI, Administrative Assistant to GM at Le Meridien Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Dear Review,

Thank you for choosing Le Meridien QD for totally 4 times and taken the time to give the feedback on line. We sincerely value your loyalty to Starwood hotels which giving us one more opportunity to fulfill our service on your coming trip to Qingdao.
We have contacted your wife for more recovery we would like to take to fulfill your trip last time, but unfortunately she is in vocation and already agreed to talk after next Monday.
I have to say I am devastated to learn that we have missed our opportunity to impress you whilst we had a chance to do so; we sincerely hope your heels have be better now. I appreciate you can share the main problem or experience in our hotel with us for our improvement. We will work with our staffs to improve our service and also thanks for your advice in advance. We hope will have a chance to redeem ourselves at some stage, when next you decide to visit Qingdao. Please do not hesitate to contact with me for any advice and looking forward your kind reply.

May I take this opportunity to invite you to contact me personally should your travel plans bring you back to Qingdao, so we can make sure, that we will not fail you then next time around.
May I invite you to contact me personally should your travel plans bring you back to Qingdao, so we can make sure, that we will not fail you then next time around.

Yours sincerely
Lilian

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights business in Qingdao. The hotel is modern designed rooms with bright color setting with red accent.

My minimum requirements for good hotel were met all three (room 1618).
1. Sleeping quality verry soft and comfortable,
2. fast internet and
3. wide assorted breakfast Western and Asian.

The city itself is not so lively evening-night life,
with a view touristic spots like seashore olympic parc.

I was at the end of 6 weeks asia business-trip.
I only cared for good sleep and rest.....
So actually forgot to take some hotel/room-pictures

Will stay here next time again when in Qingdao.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Dear Review, thank you very much for staying at Le Meridien Qingdao. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I appreciated your positive feedback about the cleanliness, maintenance and facilities of our hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you for recommending Le Meridien Qingdao and the destination Qingdao.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

Modern lobby, well designed and very clean rooms, truly pleasant stay. Only a few things to pay attention to- not such a great view from the club lounge but the staff are all friendly and helpful. Apart from the view of neighboring high rises the club was very good. Taxis were not always immediately available so you give yourself an extra 5-10 minutes. I highly recommend this hotel for central Qingdao and will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
ManagementLMandSI, Administrative Assistant to General Manager at Le Meridien Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear Review, thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you appreciated the service we provided and also pleased you experienced a restful stay here. Look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Be well.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

The hotel design from lobby to the room was very nice and modern. The hotel is located in northern part of Qingdao a little far from the beach and no view to beach . The hotel is near to shopping center and if for business , I recommend this hotel well.When checking in, they gave me option of four patterns for my room cards ( not a big deal but still different from the other hotels I have gone). The breakfast was a little pricey but was O.K. The room was comfortable and very big. The bed and pillows were very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
ManagementLMandSI, Assistant to General Manager at Le Meridien Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

Dear Review, we are pleawsed to provide a refreshing oasis for your family away home and it is inspiring you are willing to recommend us to others. Thank you for your comments and be well.