“Disappointing, only stayed 1 night”

China Community Art And Culture
Ranked #28 of 1,654 Hotels in Qingdao
Chicago, Illinois
“Disappointing, only stayed 1 night”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We arrived very late at night after our flight was delayed (around 12:30 or 1am), and the reception staff had a difficult time locating our reservation. We had booked the least expensive/smallest room possible, but those were all booked out, so they gave us a free upgrade to a larger room. The check-in process took longer than we would have appreciated since we arrived so late - the first staff member wasn't familiar with the process of photocopying our passports, and had to get help from another.

While this hotel looks lovely in the daytime, the walkway to the hotel, as well as the reception and hallways, are not well-lit at night. This gave everything a creepy, almost abandoned feeling when we arrived. With all of the artifacts and art, I felt as though I was exploring someone's dark basement... it just didn't feel welcoming.

Unfortunately, the upgraded room we received was disappointing. As other reviewers have complained about, we got a room with no outside window, although it did get some natural light filtering in from an atrium. The room was a bit musty and dark, and the toilet was in a separate little room, with a clear door separating it from the main room (awkward unless you are VERY close with your partner). We couldn't get the wifi in the room to work at all with the information provided, although we did not seek out help from reception since we decided to leave the next morning. The AC worked, but not very well.

I woke up before my travel partner and went down to investigate the breakfast. We hadn't paid for breakfast with the room, and the breakfast greeter had a very difficult time understanding that I wanted to just pay for the breakfast separately, as my room number was not on her list. I found the western options to be very few, and while I enjoy eating some Chinese food for breakfast as well, then price was too high for the breakfast to be worth it for me.

Speaking of prices - prices in Qingdao in general are VERY high in July as compared to other places in China, since it's a hot domestic tourist destination. I strongly recommend that you do your research and book a hotel as soon as possible if coming to Qingdao in the summer; our trip was last-minute and we had very few hotel options to choose from in the budget to midrange category. I was disappointed that this hotel did not turn out better for us.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Pros: hotel was in a great location, very near to lots of great restaurants; good spread of Chinese (and a few western) breakfast foods; helpful staff and some of them spoke English.

Cons: We had booked the room the day before and it appeared that they didn't have our booking on the system. We were given a room, however the room was dark, extremely damp and musty. Whenever we put on any of our clothes or shoes, it felt like they were wet. No real separate bathroom; a curtain separated the shower from the main room and the sink was in the room - which probably attributed to the mustiness. Overall, wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SP4556
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I arrived without booking and they immediately organized for me a room that was ready right away.
The location is great, in the heart of new Qingdao, next to many restaurants and not far from anything. Buses aren't far and you can walk everywhere too.
The young and smiling staff was speaking many languages fluently and was always extremely kind, thoughtful and precise.
The price was great (much less than what advertised in the website) and the facilities are brand new and very pleasant and nice.
My room was simply lovely, the decor is one between old china and modern art; I loved it. The furniture is wonderful.
In the evening they turn on some lanterns. Looking around you can see many elements of traditional chinese art.
Wifi worked smoothly.
Breakfast was a nice good buffet with good variety. When one of my friend's child broke a door of my room, they immediately changed my room and repaired the other one, apologizing to me for the inconvenient that they were not responsible for! I found this very professional and kind of them.
The lobby looks like a museum of modern and ancient asian art and there is a wonderful shop as well. I loved the birds and the little fountains they have there.
This hotel is just perfect, peaceful and pleasant.
I lived in Qingdao for many years, and so far this is the best accommodation I have seen there.
I will go back for sure and I recommend it strongly for your stay in Qingdao!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 17, 2014

8 of us stayed in this hotel for 4 nights . All of us said the hotel prices reasonable and nice to stay! We are happy to book this hotel in Qingdao. Only thing the breakfast served not so good. The driver in this hotel that we hired for 3 days sightseeing was no costly and services quite good. We are quite happy for that! End of the day we paid him more money as a reward to him. Overall we enjoyed our trip in Qingdao.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Kellin100
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We had booked and paid for two double rooms via Agoda. On arrival there seemed to be some confusion over the booking and it took the understaffed receptionists some time to locate our booking. We were then told that we were going to be in a two bedded suite. We took ourselves with our bags to the suite ( not easy as it was down a service corridor and involved pushing through laundry trolleys to get there??!!) However as it only had one bathroom for the two bedrooms which could only be accessed via a bedroom we returned to reception to request two seperate rooms as booked. Reception told us they were fully booked and so there was nothing they could do. We said that we could not stay where one couple had no access to a bathroom. They then said we had cancelled our booking and that had been the problem - we explained that it was paid in full and this was simply not true and showed our voucher again. They eventually said we could have a second room but as it was an upgrade only for one night, we would have to come down in the morning to debate this for our further two nights. We agreed to this. Rooms damp and mouldy, towels so threadbare they had holes in. Such a shame as this place should be so nice. Staff v helpful on checkout but couldn't make up for awful start to stay.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank CarolineAndGreg
Shanghai, China
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Visited Dec 11. The reviews on this place vary. Some of the rooms are small. Spend the extra cash which is not that much and book one of the larger rooms. If you like eclectic hotels with a lot of style you CANNOT go wrong with this choice. It is in a great location for waking around and getting a feel for city life in Qingdao. It is not in a tourist area but it is not in a remote area. Public transportation is fine for those of you who are a wee bit adventurous. I stayed for 4-5 days. Staff was friendly. English was not a strong point, but they may have changed. I am not complaining about the language skills. The touristy areas of Qingdao - Pier area and German areas are a short cab / bus ride away (take the bus).

Okay, now on to the rooms -each room has its own funky semi-Asian theme / layout. All of the amenities are modern and the cultural niceties of the rooms make them very pleasing. The lobby of the hotel is not like anything I have witnessed before. Basically the hotel lobby and all of the floors are a museum. The art work, decor, and layout of hotel - circular is stunning (assuming you like Asian art).

Wifi in the rooms was non-existent. I had to use wifi in the lobby which was a pain.

In general beds in Chinese hotels are not very comfortable - same at this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Photosallover
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights over the May holiday and it was a really good choice. It is in a good location - quiet and within easy walking distance of the Olympic sailing park. There is a bus stop just around the corner if you don't want to walk but we walked easily to May 4th square from the hotel.

The room we stayed in was lovely - very quirky in design and furnishings. A very comfortable bed and we had tea/coffee making facilities. The breakfast was fabulous - a real feast with a wide range giving lots of choice, from omlettes to nice spicy vegetables and lots of food freshly prepared if you wanted it. And the breakfast room is wonderful in itself - a great place to sit and plan your day - we could have sat there all day (which is why they probably stop serving breakfast at 09.30 :) ).

Would definitely recommend staying there in you are in Qingdao.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple