“good quality, near airport” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wyndham Hotel Qingdao

Wyndham Hotel Qingdao
Ranked #5 of 1,643 Hotels in Qingdao
Seoul, Seoul, South Korea
“good quality, near airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

quality is good. and location is very near the airport.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Denise M, General Manager at Wyndham Hotel Qingdao, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Qingdao – Chengyang. Thanks for the nice comments and feedback, we are happy to receive your positive remarks. I will share your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities. Of course if you see any areas in which we can improve, please also let us know. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Please contact me anytime should I be of further assistance: Denise.Molintas@hilton.com Ph; +8615966888001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Grimsby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is close to the airport so makes for easy travel plans. Not so close to the seafront. I was in the Executive floor with lounge access. Room was very good comfortable and I have no complaints. The lounge was comfortable and offered a range of drinks and snacks. Breakfast was also served here and was of a good standard. The price was the same as a travel lodge in the UK so was very pleased about that to keep business expenses down.

You get a free spa voucher which I used to get access to the Turkish baths that were cavernous like in size with a range of different temperature hot tubs and all sorts of power showers. This seemed to for men only and swim trunks were asked to be removed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GrimsbyGY
Marcom A, Manager at Wyndham Hotel Qingdao, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Qingdao – Chengyang. Thanks for the nice comments and feedback, we are happy to receive your positive remarks. I will share your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities. Of course if you see any areas in which we can improve, please also let us know. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Pennsylvania USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was hoping for a little luxury after living in university housing for a few weeks. I booked two nights at the Douletree, Qingdao, Chenyang with the executive floor upgrade knowing full well that it was not in the tourist area where I had stayed several times previously. Prior to the visit the manager was very helpful in identifying golf possibilities in and around Qingdao. However, they proved just too expensive for my taste. The fact that the hotel has a driving range was a plus for me AND the manager included a coupon for 100 balls free of charge. The driving range did charge 80 rmb to use a motley set of clubs.
The hotel was clean, the staff friendly and helpful, and the executive lounge was adequate. I ate in both the western restaurant and the Chinese seafood restaurant .Both were very good and not outrageously expensive. I enjoyed walking around the neighborhood and visiting a nearby shopping center. If one wanted, McDonald's and KFC were nearby. The internet connection in the room was good and I was able to get some work done.
The big negative was the temperature of the room. I noticed on the first night that the tempertaure was 25 C which too hot for me. I turned down the thermostat but that had no effect on the temperature. The windows were locked so there was no hope to get cooler air from outside. At breakfast in the executive lounge I heard some ladies from England complaining about the high temperature in their room as well. When I reported the problem to the desk they said they would take care of it. The solution was to send a fan to my room. The fan did cool me off even though the temperature in the room reached 27 on the second afternoon. I guess I expected more from a Doubletree.
The executive lounge was nice to have. The all day good coffee and the evening happy hour with snacks, wine, beer, and liquor were very nice. The breakfast was only adequate but certainly enough.
The hotel is quite near to the airport and it seemed many business and engineer types were staying there after flying into to the Qingdao airport. I arrived by train which meant a 45 minute cab ride. Upon coming out of the train station I was assailed by a gang of cabbies wanting my business. When they learned where I was going, they wanted 200 rmb. I said no, I want pay what's on the meter. They said, no meter. When I walked away hoping to find a cab on the street a few blocks away, I was chased down by one of the guys at the station who agreed to take me on the meter. The final charge was 120 rmb. The ride back to the train station from the Doubletree cost 65 rmb. You have to love it!
I probably would not stay at the hotel again. The ambiance was not luxurious enough to make up for the remoteness of the location. If you are arriving by train, better to choose one of the good hotels downtown.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for the executive upgrade. West side rooms pick up the afternoon sun and get ho...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JimPomfret
Hamburg, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I am surprised by the positive comments here on Tripadvisor, that makes me write this comment. Room 528 was dirty (usual black stains in bathroom and a dirty carpet including cigarette burning stains). The shower did not work properly (ceiling shower did not work) and the toiler did not flush properly. View on the the run down driving range was terrible. Breakfast is purely Asian (what I cannot judge), some dry western-like bread, watery orange juice, a bowl with yoghurt (everybody is going with his spoon). No cheese, no ham, no decent bread. In all a Chinese hotel, nothing to do with the name Hilton. I never ever stay again in a Double Tree hotel.

Gerwin

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Gerwin L
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stopped here in Dec 2011 and was not happy with it. But after reading more reviews I thought I would give it a go again. So I booked a Executive room this time, from the time I got there to the time I left, I was Impressed, maybe when I went in Dec it was a bad day, but this time everything was right. My only problem was the aircon not being cold. I did get asked for a feedback by E mail, which I did and one day later I got a reply from the GM saying that he would look in to it. It was nice to get a reply because I know that a lot of hotels don't, I'm so Impressed with the hotel that I've just booked my self for one night in Sept. Keep up the good work guys!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ginner-sg
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed at the Qingdao Chenyang for a business trip in mid-August 2012. I chose the hotel mainly because I'm collecting Hilton points. My meetings were in downtown Qingdao, so this hotel wasn't the best choice. The room price was reasonable, but the taxi rides took 50-70 minutes at rush hour. The commute time was more like 30 minutes at 9:00-10:00 pm, but the taxi drivers apparently felt that the evening hours justified some sort of premium. We paid about twice as much in the evening for the taxi ride as we did in the morning. As far as I could tell, there is nothing within walking distance of the hotel other than a McDonalds. I suppose that's fine if you're using the hotel as a base for touring the nearby mountains, but I imagine there are better choice if you want to visit downtown Qingdao.

The hotel itself is a good property, breakfast is good (although I wish Asian hotels in general were more generous with coffee). The hotel had a buffet one night which was around 200 RMB, but it was worth it. I don't know if that was a regular practice or if it was just part of the annual beer festival. I had a very good massage at the health club on my last night. The only complaint i have about the room was the carpet - it looked like it was overdue for replacement. Otherwise, the room was comfortable, quiet and spacious. Fluency in English among the staff varied a little, but I didn't really have any trouble being understood.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

This hotel is pretty standard Hilton fare. The free upgrade to my room was appreciated and the club room was very well furnished and massive. It's conveniently located from the airport and cheap by Western standards.

The cookie on arrival is a weird Americanism, but I put aside my jingoistic instincts and ate it anyway ;-)

I had a massage in the hotel. I felt like I was getting attacked by the massage therapist. I know that deep tissue stimulation is very much the vogue in China, but it wasn't a particularly pleasant experience.

The breakfast wasn't great. More is definitely not always better. It would be improved if they had a smaller range of quality, freshly prepared items.

Incidentally the seafood restaurant was pretty good. You can't beat picking your dinner out of a fish tank.

I would stay here again. Just skip breakfast and wait for lunch :-)

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Denise M, General Manager at Wyndham Hotel Qingdao, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Qingdao – Chenyang and for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your lunch experience at our Chinese Restaurant – and you are right about the freshness of our seafood offer. We have noted your suggestions and my team and I will be addressing them to ensure that you will enjoy breakfast on your next stay with us.

Please contact me through 86 1596 688 8001 or denise.molintas@hilton.com anytime should I be of further assistance.