“Super experience - Highlight of our trip!”

Wyndham Hotel Qingdao
Ranked #7 of 1,703 Hotels in Qingdao
Reviewed June 1, 2012

My sister, father and I were on our first trip to China and travelling on our own without knowing any one in Qingdao. It was of great comfort to us to be picked up at the airport by hotel staff. We were thrilled with our very clean and comfortable rooms, excellent service from the staff and free breakfast buffet. Most of all, Colin, at the concierge's desk, provided outstanding service. We had minimal skills in Putonghoa. He knew some English but, with a combination of the two languages and his willingness to take the time and care to help us throughout our three-day stay, we were able to plan and complete our outings to all the sights we wanted to see in Qingdao. Thank you, Doubletree, for making our first trip to China a success!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank gmegtan
ChrisRHilton, General Manager at Wyndham Hotel Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2012

Dear guest, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Qingdao – Chengyang. We are happy to receive your comments and thank you for the positive remarks, especially about Colin at Concierge, I will share your comments and 'Thanks' with him and the team. As always we strive to continue improving our service and facilities so your positive comments really help. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Please contact me anytime should I be of further assistance: Chris.roberts@hilton.com Ph; +8615966888001

Reviewed May 31, 2012

I have stayed at many hotels in China, some I would rather forget and they have had Western titles etc but this hotel is different. i was very impressed with the actual venue, the rooms are more than you could ask for and quite affordable. the service is were i must give note. Everything was catered for but i must make mention of the management. The ATM in the foyer swallowed my card, this is at 23h00 and i am leaving the next day. Now this would have taken longer to sort out in my own country...they contacted the bank and the next day my card was handed to the maneger while i was in meetings and waiting for me on my return to check out. The bar in the foyer is a nice place to relax after a long day and meet some very interesting people - no not the kind that charge!
The Mac Donalds across the road was welcome, spend enough time in deep China and you will learn to appreciate MCD...haha. I will stay here again and can honesty recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank CK444

Dear Christos, thank you again for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Qingdao – Chengyang. Thanks very much for your comments, and it was our pleasure to assist with the bank card problem. I know only too well how concerning it is if an ATM swallows your card while in a foreign country! As always I will share your comments with our team, and we will continue to strive to improve our service and facilities. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

I've stayed in a number of Doubletree hotels over the years and this is the best by some distance! I took an Executive Floor Room for 1 night using points, a bargain at just over 15000 honors points. While I forget the cost for the same room if paying cash, regular rooms were available for around £50, which I would also consider a bargain. The service was outstanding throughout, extremely welcoming and accommodating without being imposing. In contrast to other reviewers, the standard of english of the staff was high (which might have something to do with staying on the Executive Floor?) The real highlight was the room: spacious, beautifully furnished, and with an outstanding bathroom with both bath and large walk-in shower. The bathroom is separated from the main room by thick glass which allows one to watch the TV from the bath (blinds are also provided for privacy if desired) and gives the whole room a feeling of spatiousness. The Executive Lounge happy hour and free breakfasts fully justified the extra cost (in this case about 2000 points extra, so a no-brainer.) The location is great for the airport (20 RMB taxi). The only real negative was the internet, which was fairly slow (not out of line with what is generally available in China) and, more disappointingly, only wired (unless I missed something). Nevertheless, the hotel excelled in every other respect and I will definitely return if flying through Qingdao in the future. High recommended!!!

Room Tip: Grab a room on the Executive Floor if the cost to upgrade is not too steep.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank nadwocean
ChrisRHilton, General Manager at Wyndham Hotel Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Dear guest, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Qingdao – Chengyang. We are naturally happy to receive your comments and thank you for the positive remarks. I will share your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities. FYI - we do have free public WIFI in all public areas of the hotel, and the Executive Lounge. As for the rooms, we are in process of upgrading this, and can arrange WIFI in your room on request. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

My flight to Beijing having landed in Qingdao for bad weather, I had to find a hotel close to the airport. Thanks to Tripadvisor, I selected the Doubletree.
Perfect choice! Although it was late when I arrived (and the reservation made at the last minute), people at the reception were really nice, presenting me with a hot cookie, explaining that it is the general practice at Doubletrees’.
The hotel is very bright and incredibly silent. The rooms are very comfortable.
Nothing to say about the breakfast. The team was again so kind, and I had every food I could want.
The day after, I had to travel by train and I bought a ticket at the business centre.
Of course, the hotel is not the right place to stay if you come for holydays. It will be better to stay closer to the sea.
But if I have to come again for business, that’s definitely where I will stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Pietly
ChrisRHilton, General Manager at Wyndham Hotel Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Dear Pietly, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Qingdao – Chengyang. We are happy to receive your comments and thank you for the positive remarks about the hotel rooms, warm chocolate chip cookie and breakfast! We will share your comments with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities. Thank you again, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

Room
The Room is generally clean, except some age old stain on bottom of bathtub and shower door. Which is quite acceptable for this price.

The minibar and amenities are good and complete.

Hotel Facility
Gym - Rarely used and good set of equipment.
Snooker Room - The equipment is old, good for a game or two, but don't hold high hopes.
Pool - Warm water pool and rarely used, good for morning or late night swim
Spa - Spa is actually privately run facility, a tunnel connect the Spa and Hotel through the Pool.
Golf - Golf is actually privately run facility behind the hotel, a tunnel connects the Driving Range next to the reception. You can rent clubs, a round of golf is per basket of golf ball (not per hour). The facility is actually really nice, w/cafe, it isn't world class but acceptable,

Restaurant
Chinese - Good food but on the expensive side, you should look elsewhere if you have a chance.
Korean - Great food at a good price, most staff speaks Korean and the food are authentic Korean dishes. Really tasty.

Staff
Staff were friendly, they provided us a warm Chocolate Chip Cookie from their bakery upon check-in which is a welcoming surprise after a long flight.

Location
The hotel is located near the airport, taxi transportation average RMB20-25, 15-20min.

Transportation
Travelling to City will average 25-30min depending on traffic. If you travel in group and have lots of places to visit, I suggest renting a Car & Driver for whole day, average RMB500/day.

Tips
1. There is a Mall and McDonalds across the road which would be cheaper than the hotel's buffet breakfast.
2. Pillow is absolutely horrible, bring your own or request something better.
3. Bring your own golf gloves, the free ones are horrible.
4. The reception may present you a "Hotel Spa Coupon" upon arrival.

But I suggest trading the "Hotel Spa Coupon" for the actual "Spa Facility Coupon", this allows you to use the Spa facility below.
- Warm/Cold Water Pool
- Sauna
- Internet Room
- Massage Room/Foot Massage Room

If you don't trade the coupon, you can't access the spa facility, and the massage will be given in a temporary "Hotel Converted" Massage Room (across from the gym). So don't forget to trade the coupon.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
ChrisRHilton, General Manager at Wyndham Hotel Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Dear Pie Pie, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Qingdao – Chengyang. We are happy to receive your comments and thank you for the positive remarks. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet all your expectations during this stay, most importantly regarding the pillow and price for the Chinese Restaurant.
We actually have a special Pillow Menu in each room, so guests can choose from a variety of different pillow styles, sizes and ingredients to suite individual tastes. Sorry that perhaps you missed this, and we of course can arrange for you upon your next visit.
Regarding the price of the Chinese restaurant, I am surprised to hear that you feel is a little on the expensive side, this is not normally the feedback we receive. Actually we do not charge service charge for the Chinese Restaurant, and are comparible in price to other Qingdao hotels and even quality local restaurants in Chengyang District.
Thanks again for your comments, we will share with our team, and strive to continue improving our service and facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

The rooms are spacious and very clean. There is everything you need. It is quiet during the night. The breakfast i so-so, I guess it is because I like the western style of breakfast and this breakfast is 70% asian. The staff is helpful and serviceminded.I would recommend the hotel for peaople on business trips.The location is quite far from the downtown area but near the airport.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Cizein
ChrisRHilton, General Manager at Wyndham Hotel Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Dear Michel, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Qingdao – Chengyang. Thanks for your kind comments, its always nice to hear what we do well. Even more importantly however, thanks for your comments indicating where you think we can improve. Naturally I am sorry to hear that we did not meet all your expectations during this stay, in particular regarding the internet price, breakfast and staff English ability. Actually our internet fees are one of the lowest in the region, and we have now introduced free internet to the public areas also. Breakfast is always a 'topical' subject of choices and we try to cater to all tastes. Naturally we have a large selection of Asian & Chinese tastes, but we also offer a large western selection with all the eggs, waffles, cereals & pastries etc. someone would expect at a 5 star hotel, but we will certainly review again, and would welcome any additional suggestions you may have. Regarding English, this is always a challenge in a foreign country like China. We have weekly training programs and aim for our team to be able to cater to all guests, so sorry that we clearly missed the mark on your occasion.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Good location about 10 minutes from the airport.

Advantages:
- location
- nice spa in the basement
- fitness room is small but fine
- good hairdresser in basement
- 2 restaurants near reception

Disadvantages:
- pay internet if you are not in expensive room of not hilton platine
- breakfast very chinese
- poor english mostly

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike_hcmc
ChrisRHilton, General Manager at Wyndham Hotel Qingdao, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

Dear guest, thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Qingdao – Chengyang. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet all your expectations during this stay, in particular would be interested to understand what breakfast items you would like to see on our buffet. Its true we have many Chinese & Asian dishes, but Im also confident that we cater to all Western tastes. However we are always keen to improve, so would be happy to hear from you. Thank you again, and I hope to welcome you back soon when we can show you the true meaning of our Doubletree service.