“Great rooftop bar, else it's a perfectly acceptable hostel”

Qingdao Old Observatory Youth Hostel
Ranked #8 of 232 Specialty Lodging in Qingdao
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This hostel has several positives - great rooftop bar with outdoor seating, sofas, music playing and an all you can drink tsingtao happy hour, wifi (if intermittent) in all rooms, western toilets. But also has the negatives of there only being two toilets, and showers are on the ground floor, also lonely planet has it in the wrong place on their map.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed May 8, 2012

My friends and I recently stayed here for four nights. The hostel has a nice view of the beautiful city below and is close to most of the sites. Only transportation to/from the hilltop can be a pain. There are sometimes cabs dropping people off so you can simply hop in; otherwise you have to make your way down to the major intersection off the highway (Jiaozhou and Jiangsu) that is difficult for cabs to stop at -- best to cross the street and catch one from there. On the way back, be prepared to practice your Mandarin and explain the location at length unless your cabbie is already acquainted with it -- "you mean that place on top of the hill?"

The rooms were clean and towels are changed daily, which was nice for a hostel. Poor ventilation, however, meant that the room smelled moldy after a shower and my friend's room on the second floor smelled like the drain/sewage. The beds were more comfortable than hard Chinese ones, but I did not sleep very well because of the noise. The patio on the top floor is undergoing construction so be prepared to hear drilling early in the morning. We also had school children touring outside one morning, also at 8AM. So try not to stay in Room 103 next to the front desk, where you also hear loud music in the evening and the flushing of all the toilets on the second floor in the morning.

Service was okay. Most of the staff was quite friendly, but they did not seem like the professional backpackers you would expect from an international hostel. It was nice that they arranged a car to the airport for us, 120 yuan, compared to 100 in a regular cab. It was a bit strange to us that they lent out the local expat magazine for a 20 yuan deposit, when we could pick them up around the city for free. We were also asked not to snack on outside food at the bar, even though the place is far from a five star restaurant -- fish and chips were inedible, omelets were okay. And the guy that works the night shift was rude when asking my friends and I to go back to our rooms and quiet down. The nicest member of the family there is the big, fluffy white dog found lounging at the front desk.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank comradetaitai
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I came here on the eve of the Lunar New Year holiday. They were in the middle of a New Year party. They knew I was coming so they saved a dish full of food just for me which was nice because that meal would be one of the few descent, healthy foods I would have for that entire week! Little did I know that almost ALL the restaurants in Qingdao would be closed due to the holiday. I either had to stock up on processed food like fangbian mian (instant noodles -- YEECH!) or eat at KFC or McDonalds.

The staff were nice but I found Mr. Shi, the taxi driver, the most informative. He could tell me which sites to see and where to go to eat. Unfortunately, again, the restaurants were closed.

I also liked the fact that they had BBC.

The one thing I didn't like was that I had to change my room. Not sure why. And the first room I was in I could barely fit myself into the bathroom because the toilet looked more like a closet. I kept hitting the door with my head. The last room I had was the best. Looked more like a hotel room.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This place was recommended to us by a friend. As soon as we arrived we could see why. The staff are super friendly / helpful without being over the top. The rooms are quiet, clean and comfortable. The roof top bar offers amazing views of the city and an awesome spot to chill or have a few Tsing Tao's with your fellow travelers. We especially enjoyed the Saturday night BBQ with free flow Tsing Tao, at 20 RMB it was excellent value.

Don't be put off by the location when you arrive, it's only a short walk to an awesome Chinese market area where you can sample the famous "Beer in a Bag" and fresh seafood.

All in all I can recommend this place 100% to couples, backpackers and families.

Room Tip: Low rooms have less stairs to climb but the rooms on the 3rd floor have better views.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2011

The hostel is in an amazing location: the former observatory built during the Republican period, atop of a hill. It is surrounded by a scenic park with beautiful, old trees. It really does feel like a retreat from the city. Crisp, clean air, which is a great change from the smog below. However, it's isolated, steep and creepy to walk through the part to get to the hostel at night. I suggest that you take a taxi back to the hostel if you are out after-dark, or walk up with a friend.
The quality of the people at the front desk were mixed: one person was very helpful and kind, but the others really couldn't care less about you. Quite distracted service, not giving you their full attention (then again, you can say this about just about anywhere in China...)
I stayed in my own room (300 kuai/per night) it seemed for the most part clean, though I did notice some kind of (urine?) marks on the toilet seat when I first arrived. So it's definitely not ace in terms of sanitation. Lots of bugs and bug bites if you keep the window open at night. Definitely ask for an electric bug-repellant plug-in --- that helps a lot. The bed was very comfortable.
The roof-top bar is in principal quite nice, but it has turned into a storage area of sorts. They could clean it up a bit -- get rid of some of the extras.
I also noticed a mountain of unwashed laundry in one corner of one of the hallways.
It's worth staying here for the location, but they could improve somewhat on the other fronts.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 3, 2011

All the staff are so nice & kind.
But the central heating is suspended for they are under re-decoration. It snowed outside, the air-conditioner was old, so the room was quite cold.
Have to get some water downstairs, and cannot take a shower for there's no hot water.
No cafe, no place to sit or enjoy a relaxed afternoon. (comparing to kaiyue, it's horribly small). And twice blackout.
The room is the smallest room among all the hostel i've been to.
The view from the peak was amazing, and the transpotation was convenient.
The dog is so cute.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I have stayed in this hostel for a couple of weeks now and have been very happy and comfortable here. I have been staying in a 4-bed dorm which is clean (although not spotless - there's lots of dust under the beds) but it has secure locked cupboards for valuables. There is air con in the room I'm in (and I presume all). I have seen the twin / double rooms and these look rather nice.

The highlight for me is the rooftop cafe/bar area. It has an indoor and outdoor area with great views over the city and the sea plus a pool table and wifi. The building is an historic observatory with much character. They also serve a basic (and slightly overpriced) menu of Chinese and western food. The staff are friendly and the owner (when around) is very friendly too. He took a couple of us to see a nearby park just because he wanted to show us it.

I have checked out all the other hostels in town (walked around their communal areas and checked out a bedroom and shower in each). Without question I prefer this one. The only real other contender is the Kaiyue (aka Old Church), but it's does not have the views and it feels much 'younger' and western in terms of the crowd. If you have to stay in the CBD / Hong Kong Park area, try the Big Brother hostel (there are two - one in this area 31 Jiangxi Lu) although it doesn't compare for atmosphere.

Back at the Old Observatory, the showers are the only minor disappointment in that only one or two out of four have good pressure... but once you know which ones, its no problem (choose the second door!!).

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo