“Not bad”

Ranked #11 of 1,113 Hotels in Jinan
Christchurch
“Not bad”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Overall a reasonable hotel. Rooms nice and comfortable. The hotel is really aimed at the Chinese businessman, so while fine doesn't have all the western comforts such as a good range of western food. No swimming pool either. It is also located on a busy road so you do hear a bit of traffic noise. I wouldn't have a problem staying here again but I would probably consider other options.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnandWendy

Singapore
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I've stayed a week in this hotel as base camp to discover Shandong. The hotel has quite nice rooms, though on the small side (I was alone but it can accommodate two people, though the bed is rather small and the room as well). The staff was quite friendly with average command of english. Breakfast was in supplement (RMB 38) which is convenient with an average choice. There are also some restaurant which can be convenient but not great.

The hotel is close to the main train station and it allowed me to travel quite extensively in Shandong going to Qufu (the birthplace of Confucius), Zhoucheng (the birthplace of Mencius) and to go to Taishan for the treck on the mountain (beware 8000 steps to climb, not easy - it took me 7 hours to get up there - but as chinese say, someone who does climb the mountain can live to 100 years).

One thing to note: the old main station is relatively close to the hotel, however most of the fast chinese train now stops at a new station which is about 30 minutes away from the hotel... I nearly missed the train the first time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ChrisGVE
Milano
Reviewed May 29, 2010

I liked this hotel in which we spent four days. The position is very good if you want to visit the region because it's close to both the railway station and the long distance bus station. We stayed in a Business Room type B, not big but confortable. Breakfast was not included, they charged 38 RMB/person. We didn't find interesting restaurants or cafés at walking distance. Service quality is very high, lowered a bit on the night hours. They speak a fair english.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
texas
Reviewed April 27, 2010

3 star price, 6 star service, thank you for trip advisor's review, that I picked this hotel. It is much better than I expected, as soon as I got off the taxi, the porter wrote me the taxi's license number in case I left anything in the taxi, carried my bag, speedy check in, and check out, with a hot towel washing hands and a cup of hot tea.

We had everything at our finger tips at the suite, except an iron, free fresh fruit daily, 4 varieties of high quality tea free of charge, free buckwheat pillow as requested, high quality bed, fast speed internet in our hotel room, clean room, high pressure hot shower, smiling staffs. Attention to details. We felt like we had been treated like King and Queen. Trust me, I did stay in another 4 star hotel in Shandong Qufu, which is flithy with terrible bed. We missed the stay so much, we stoped by Jinan on the way back to Beijing just to stay in this hotel to relax, though we had nothing to do or to see in Jinan.

However I did not recommend the pricy 39 yuan breadfast, the food was cold and hard, the service was great, because of the awful breadfast, we did not even try to eat our dinner in the resturant.

check out the hotel shop, we found some good quality jades with bargain price, we bought 3 pieces of white jades, we regreted not to buy more. We almost missed the jades, what a great find for a jade lover!!

The hotel is near the railway station, 10 yuan taxi can get you to the central Jinan. The reason I picked this hotel is the high rating from trip advisor and the location (near the railway station). The hotel is quiet, a good night sleep and hot shower are what every traveller has in mind.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank desy1212
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2007

If you are looking to stay at a hotel on business in China you are often confronted with a choice of a western style branded hotels or a Chinese style hotel. There are benefits in both camps, to many to list at this point. Recently I stayed in the hotel I consider it the very best in Chinese style “business” hotels I have had in many years. I make the point that this type of hotel is different again to a HK hotel or something in Beijing as example.

This hotel is very popular in Jinan, it’s under 12 months old and very well constructed and maintained. A fantastic blend of modern Chinese architecture and traditional finishes intermingle together well. The hotel is about 12 stories high; I stayed in a standard room on the 9th floor. The Staff were fantastic; cheerful and professional, the typical language barriers were worked out quickly as the staff functioned as a team locating anyone that could assist in response quickly and fully to specific needs.

Upon arrival, whilst waiting in line to check in a hostess passed to us hot fresh moist hand towels to clean the dust from our face and hands and then offered complimentary coffee or tea. I had my coffee, bags taken care of and checked in within a few minutes.

The cental lifts can be a cram at busy periods but they operate smoothly and fast.

My room was well designed and very quiet. (The quietness was noticed by all that stayed) Yes it has all your needs but no refrigerated mini bar as it has pre-packaged Chinese food, only some of it would be to western tastes. The room service and variety on the menu more than compensates for this short coming. The internet and PC’s are in all rooms.

My room was very small and I understand some rooms are bigger scaled logically in price. Personally I loved the room, even though it was small. The room was very clean, all fixtures and fitting functioned well and was of a high standard the bathroom and showers were ideal.

Breakfast is located at the back restaurant with a very large variety of Chinese dishes, even a westerner with a basic taste will find something, if not, go stay at the Sofitel.

This hotel is great for short stays and Dikou Road offers good external shops and restaurants.

• Liked — Clean, quite and efficient
  • Disliked — The lift does slow your pace
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MrHobbs