“Excellent staff change my mood”

Hyatt Regency Jinan
Ranked #6 of 1,150 Hotels in Jinan
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stayed there four days in October with my cousin on his business trip to Jinan.
We chose it because it's less than ten minutes walk to his office and he saw this as one of the the newest international hotel nearby.

I cannot comment about the location as I did not go out much during the few days. But next to it (less than 100m) There is a mall, cinema and Tesco supermarket. There are many modestly mid-range restaurants so dining is convenient.

The hotel lobby is huge and outshine other Hyatt hotels I ever seen in other Asian cities.
The rooms are very big relative to rooms in other Asian metropolitan cities like Spore and HK.
The rooms are clean and of comparable standard to other 5 stars hotels in Beijing or Shanghai.
But don't expect that of Singapore or HK standard as you only pay maybe 1/3 of the price in Singapore or HK.

We had a buffet dinner with a group of 5-6 people in the lobby café. It has very wide range of choice. But the standard is not comparable to those in Singapore or HK. But the price is unlike the room rate, it could be half the price if not more than those of that in Singapore or HK. So dining in the café was not really a good choice as you can try those restaurants in the mall. They serve relatively cheap but tastier food from a Chinese perspective. Westerners may have very different view.

One of the most unhappy experience was the room temperature was relatively high. As we stayed in a room that was facing the afternoon sun, the temperature in the room is 24-26 C (as recorded by the controller) while outside was merely 18-20 C

I complained to the front desk. After talking to three or four different people, I was frustrating as they gave totally different reasons for the high temperature in the room. One of their strategy was to ask me to change room. I was reluctant as I think the high temperature was due to the shut down of aircon or temperature setting. To be honest, I have experienced this many times in China other cities. Finally a lobby manager Andres Song came to pacify me by promising to lower the room temperature if I allow him two hours. Good enough the temp drop to 22-23 two hours later. But the temperature went up again in the night.

I complained to the hotel again the next day. Frustration came on again after several people gave me different replies. I demanded to see Andres Song again as he was responsible and able to help the previous day. This time Andres suggested I changed to a room that doesn't face the afternoon sun. I was reluctant but I finally agreed as the temperature in the room was high at 26 C.

After I changed the room, Andres apologized the inconvenience and offered us some dining benefits in the hotel for the remaining days we stayed in hotel.

I wrote this to compliment Andres as he was passionate, polite. His sincerity in compensating us was able to turn a pretty unpleasant situation due to hardware to a soothing one.

The food in The Regency Club floor was a lot better than those not so cheap buffet in the café.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Sarah W, EAM-Rooms at Hyatt Regency Jinan, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Jinan.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience with us on Trip Advisor and for highlighting our location, room as well as the services and facilities we have.

中国济南市市中区经四路187号, 邮编:250001
T: + 86 531 8828 1234 M: 135 7312 9968 F: +86 531 87781234 E: sarah.wang@hyatt.com

Reviewed November 5, 2013

The Hyatt Jinan is in a good location. Staff are very nice and helpful. Good sized room and bathroom with nice amenities. Had an issue with a light that would not turn off completely (reading light over the bed) and couldn't seem to get it fixed (after repeated requests). Ended up disconnecting it ourselves. The restaurant is pretty good. Has a nice variety but rotation is minor from day to day so repeated visits are a bit boring. Used the business center for train ticket purchase which was perfectly handled. Used the spa for a massage which was nice (although I didn't realize at the time that the massage I had booked utilized 'scraping' OUCH!). Biggest issue was the temperature - in the room, gym, hallways, etc. The gym was set at 25/26 - way too warm for a comfortable workout. Thermostat in room was set to not go below 22 - so felt like stale air. Finally had engineering adjust it so we could get it down to 19/20 for more comfort. Staff also brought a fan at our request. Overall the Hyatt is nice; one of the nicer ones I've stayed in. However, the beds are a bit too hard (more Chinese style) and the pillows too flat so sleep wasn't that great. Probably wouldn't stay again unless there was a great deal.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah W, EAM-Rooms at Hyatt Regency Jinan, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Jinan.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience with us on Trip Advisor and for highlighting our Room, Restaurant, Spa as well as the services and facilities we have.

____________________________________________________________________________
THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT: Please consider the environment before printing this email.

2012中国旅游业界奖“年度最佳商务酒店”
2012旅游休闲杂志“最佳商务酒店"

Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is a short review of hotel in Jinan.

Beds - very good
Check in-out - fast
Getting taxi - 15-20 mins

Food. This is one hard to tell. Variety of the food is among the best in Jinan. BUT.
And here it comes. First, food is very very oily. Most of it.
Second: Missing description on many of them. You just have to stir the food to know whats in it.
Third, maybe the main problem apart from "the tuna thing" which I will describe later:

As pictures can tell, food is really overdone. Overoiled. Burned. Im not saying that all is burned - but its pity that pan fried vegetables, shrimps and beef - some was. See pictures yourself. Amount of oil they use for cooking - just too much.

Now "THE TUNA THING".

Its funny, but also embarassing for the hotel which is rated 5 stars.
First night they served tuna as "sashimi" (just pure cuts - in this case of tuna) - you just walk over to the bar and you ask for it. Of course, they have had tuna sushi too (tuna on rice). Of course, tuna sashimi - you get more "meat".
Next day, when I walked over to the counter, they told me, that "they dont have any tuna" - but I have seen some on sushi... There was a chef behind the counter, so he just asked me, where do I sit - which table. In 5 minutes, I had the tuna sashimi on my table. Great!.
But, third day - I walked to the "japanese counter" again. I have been told that there is no tuna.
But stil, they have served the tuna on shusi. When I have asked, how come, that you serve tuna on sushi, but when I ask tuna for sashimi, you said you dont have any?

Thats not normal for 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Andy C, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Jinan, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your candid feedback on the varieties of our food, their taste as well as the inconsistent response from our Chef. I have just shared your feedback with my Culinary team and we will look into it to ensure the similar situations won’t repeat again in the future. And I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

The Hyatt in Jinan is a very nice hotel - it has very good rooms which are well fitted out with great bathrooms, Really comfortable good ground floor lobby bar which serves good "bar food" at about the going price for such establishments. The staff in this bar have been excellent on my stays there. Breakfast is really wonderful in a huge room with good natural light.
Corporate rates we received were really good for this type of accomodation.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Sarah W, EAM-Rooms at Hyatt Regency Jinan, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Jinan.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience with us on Trip Advisor and for highlighting our room, lobby bar as well as the services and facilities we have.

Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms

__________________________________________________________________________

Reviewed September 7, 2013

It's a very classy hotel, modern and stylish, clean and comfortable. The staff seem helpful and customer-aware. Rooms are of a high quality, nicely furnished and decorated with good sized bathroom and closet area. Wifi works fine, TV has clear pictures, iron and ironing board in the room, good quality amenities. Lighting is fine for 'moods' but no main room light means you may find it sometimes gloomy and switches are not really intuitively placed. Traffic noise from outside is noticeable even on high floors. Breakfast has a good choice and the quality is high though the layout is somewhat baffling and requires trips to different parts of the room to get things that would normally go together, at least for western fayre.

I wasn't overly impressed by the pool. It's quite long but also rather narrow, so if you're up for a few lengths you have to hope that there are no more than three other like-minded swimmers there at the same time. Unfortunately, the picture windows reveal a pretty dismal view of the surrounding drabness. The jacuzzi is quite spacious and just right temperature-wise. However, there is no sauna only a steam room. This is a good size and well built and doesn't need those awful plastic mats on the floor. However, it hadn't been switched on by the time I arrived - some five hours or so after normal opening times - so wasn't up to speed.

The most disappointing aspect of my stay was room service. The food arrived in reasonable time but was essentially cold and I sent it back. Although I was offered an alternative, I declined and went to Pizza Hut in the mall a couple of minutes down the street. It was busy so I got take-away. It took me less time to go out and return to my room with a piping hot pizza than it did to get my cold version of room service. Most unsatisfactory for this hotel, I feel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Qupnicely
Sarah W, EAM-Rooms at Hyatt Regency Jinan, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Jinan.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience with us on Trip Advisor and for highlighting our location, room view as well as the services and facilities we have.

2012中国旅游业界奖“年度最佳商务酒店”
2012旅游休闲杂志“最佳商务酒店”奖

Reviewed August 26, 2013

The Jinan Hyatt Regency is based in a tall tower overlooking the city. It is located on a busy street which seemed to me to be one of the main streets. The lobby is quite impressive and makes the hotel look a class higher. Also the restaurant where they serve breakfast is quite nicely done. The rooms offer great views especially if you are staying on a high floor. The cleanliness was not great though as the floor tiles looked like they needed some detailed cleaning. The staff was very attentive and friendly.
This hotel is probably the best in Jinan now and certainly worth a recommendation

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Phenompilot
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I think this hotel is one of the best views of the city, if you stay on the top floors. It's located in the center of the city, had a very big window to enjoy the view. Very nice food and service. Recommended...

Room Tip: top floors are recommended for the best view of the city.