“Awful location”

Ranked #7 of 1,148 Hotels in Shenyang
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This hotel is very new, it make the difference in Shenyang where apart the Somerset, the rest of the hotels (Sheraton, Traders, Crowne Plaza) are pretty old. The rooms are pretty small and the cleaning is very bad. You can find hair in bathroom basin, dirty bed linen, and dust on the floor.

The service is very much Chinese, this is disappointing for a Hilton branded hotel.

The worst thing about this hotel is the location. The surrounding is extremely messy and apart the in-house restaurants, dining options are very limited. The concierge is not able to recommend any restaurant in the vicinity.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Sandy M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Greetings from DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang!

Firstly, I sincerely appreciate your trust in choosing to stay with us. However, I was sorry to find out that you were not happy with your overall experience. Let me begin by sincerely apologizing for any inconvenience and embarrassment we have caused to you during your stay.

The comments you have provided on various aspects of our hotel are very important to us. Reviewing your feedback, it is obvious you were not happy in many regards from rooms, service, F&B, Concierge to hotel location. I have shared your feedback with relevant department heads and my team have looked into your stay. Please rest assured we all take your case seriously, and will take necessary actions from this to ensure it is not repeated. Although we have only been open only a short time we are proud of the service standards we have achieved and set. So again please do not take this as a normal situation.

Regarding the room size and cleanliness, Housekeeping and Engineering will work together to monitor each and every room and make sure all room facilities and amenities are maintained in good condition. We do apologize for the cleanliness problem you’ve experienced and we’ll guarantee it not happen in future. Hilton takes cleanliness as a key priority of hotel condition and we understand it is fundamental to guest’s hotel experience. Hereby kindly be advised that should you experience any room problem upon your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact CARE center. We’ll try our best to solve the problem in a timely manner or change a room for you.

Regarding the F&B options in hotel, our Executive Chef has started regular food tasting with hotel management to monitor the quality and variety of food. We will continuously diversify our food options according to guest feedback and launch various promotions for key outlets. Our Food & Beverage Manager will continue to provide more opportunities of training and practice to the team members to ensure they are confident in communicating with guests and offering recommendations. F&B has been a key indicator of hotel performance and we promise to provide guests with outstanding products and services at the best of what we can.

Meanwhile, I can understand your disappointment not able to obtain more information about the city from Concierge. Front Office manager will strictly monitor the training of the Concierge team. Please trust us we do have an ipad version of city guidebook to show to guests including dinning, shopping, entertainment, hospitals, etc. We’ll make sure the Concierge team are able to project a professional image of the hotel.

It is my desire to personally welcome you and your colleagues back to the hotel. Please allow me a second chance to show you the true DoubleTree by Hilton service standards. It has been our pleasure and honor to have you as our guest. I sincerely look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang "where the little things mean everything!"

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here 12 days in 1 month (2 days in regular room(14th floor) and 10 days in executive room(top floor) ) for family visit. The hotel is located by the biggest and famous wholesale plaza in Northeast China. So far, this is the best hotel compare to other hotels in Shenyang I've stayed in the past 10 years. They almost met by the hilton standard as I felt.

Room: As a gold member, I got room upgrade to executive floor on the 19th (top floor), the room is facing east the wholesale plaza and is exactly identical to regular room I stayed on 14th. It's big enough for two of us and nice maintenance. There're ports available connect your computer to the TV but the hotel doesn't provide any cables. I thought the room should be quiet since it's on top floor but later on the staff confirmed there's water tower(or AC) on the roof that can be heard during the night. In addition, since the room is facing the wholesale plaza, the noise starting around 8am that is audible as well.

Breakfast: The executive lounge is located on the 19th floor as well, We went there twice then went the 8th floor to join everyone else (opens until 10:30am, the 8th floor opens until 10am). The lounge is nice, quiet with excellent service but way fewer selection than the 8th floor. The food is good on the 8th floor, not whole lot of selection but good enough for us.

Swimming pool&fitness center: The pool is large and "clean", It goes all the way to 1.6m deep. There're few people when we were there. You need to have swimming cap to go in. We went there once and both of us got red rash on our legs the second day, HOWEVER, we're not sure if it's the water in the pool or the food we took somewhere outside the hotel. The fitness center is pretty new with all kind of equipments that opens 24hr for residents.

Service: By northeast China standard, this hotel is way above average in Shenyang. The staff always greeted us when passing by and have good attention to help us out. The room was quite dry during the time we stayed in Winter and then they brought a humidifier the second day. Since we stayed here for 12 days, it'd probably feel much nicer if they could remember our names.

Location: As I mentioned above, it's located nearby the big plaza which is always busy from 7am to 3pm during the day, it's convient if you have things to shop but big trouble to get a taxi. The subway is 20min walk away and it's almost impossible to walk there during the winter. Be careful about the taxi waiting outside of the hotel since they tend to charge more to go to airport/railway stations, etc. to people who sound or appear to be from out of town.

All in all, it's 4.5 stars hotel in Shenyang, with their nice room, friendly staff, I'd like to stay here again even with commute issue around the area.

Room Tip: Don't get the top floor and/or facing southeast rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Sandy M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Greetings from DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang!

Firstly, I sincerely appreciate your trust in choosing to stay with the newly opened DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang. Thank you for providing your comments online and I was glad to know that overall you enjoyed your 12 days with us. I hope you had a great time visiting you family here in Shenyang as well. The review you provided on various aspects of our facilities and services are very important to us. I have shared your comments with relevant departments to continue to refine the level of service we offer to our guests.

Reviewing your comments I was glad to know that you were happy with our services and friendliness of the team. Thank you for recognizing the effort of our team. Guest recognition is a key driving force for us to go above and beyond. Meanwhile, thank you for your advice that our staff should be able to remember long stay guest names. It is a key service highlight we’ve been trying to realize. I’ll be sure to further pass on your comments to the front of house team and make sure we push harder and improve customer service to the next level.

In addition, I have noted that you pointed out a few other areas that we need to further improve, ie the noise from AC in guest rooms, the location of hotel and the transportation difficulty. I apologize for any inconvenience caused to you and I felt very sorry for the allergic reaction your experienced. Please be assured that we do take safety and hygiene seriously and each outlet will go through strict hygiene check procedures on daily basis. Regarding the location of hotel, I appreciate your understanding on the traffic difficulty. Our Front Office department will work together with Security to better monitor the traffic flow in front of the property during busy hours. Meanwhile, we advise you to notify concierge about your travel requests 2 hours ahead so that we can better arrange your transportation. Alternatively, we provide limo service which has better service standards than city taxis.

As a newly opened hotel, we are trying very hard to provide guests with outstanding products and services at the best of what we can. It has been our pleasure and honor to have you as our guests. I sincerely look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang "where the little things mean everything!"

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here for One night in December. We checked in pretty late so we didn't have time to explore around the area, Didn't see any place I wanted to check out so we just went to get some Mcdonalds ( across the street) and stayed in our room the whole night. Beds were comfy and the room was pretty nice and big. Washroom was exquisite! Pretty brand new so everything was tip in good shape!

Breakfast buffet was top notch. Love the large variety of food available :) Would stay here again ! :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Sandy M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang!

I was delighted to know that overall you liked the hotel facilities and our breakfast. Thank you for recognizing our hard work. Recognition from guests has been a big driving force for us to achieve high performance and create more rewarding experience to today’s travelers. It has been our goal to equip the hotel with the most state-of-the-art facilities and provide a most comfortable hotel experience to all guests. Our Kitchen and Food & Beverage departments especially, are continuously trying to increase our food variety and maintain high food quality. We have also been training our team members to demonstrate genuine care, a personable voice, and high service standards for guest worldwide. We will make sure to maintain the level of service we offer to each and every guest.

Your feedback is very important to us as it is the driving force that pushes us to go above and beyond. It has been a pleasure having you as a guest and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang "where the little things mean everything!"

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed here yesterday. Staffs are helpful and friendly ,the buffet breakfast tasty. Room is quite fine but window view is not good. However,the way to airport from this hotel is heavy traffic,the taxi driver is NOT friendly even rude for me while i went to airport this morning,asked me for double-price I charged for expressway.
The network didn't work till I called the service center.
Generally, it's a good hotel for travellers.

Room Tip: Buffet breakfast on floor 8 ! Don't push button "1" !
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Sandy M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang and providing your comments online. I have shared your comments with all concerned departments.

I was glad to know that overall you liked the hotel facilities, the breakfast and the friendliness of the team members. Thank you for recognizing our hard work. Recognition from guests has been a big driving force for us to achieve high performance and create more rewarding experience to today’s travelers. It has been our goal to equip the hotel with the most state-of-the-art facilities and provide a most comfortable hotel experience to all guests. We have also been training our team members to demonstrate genuine care, a personable voice, and high service standards for guest worldwide. I’ll be sure to pass on your comment to the team and we will make sure to maintain the level of service we offer to each and every guest.

However, it has caught my attention that you were not very happy about the hotel location as the window view was not pleasant and the traffic surrounding the hotel has always been heavy. I apologize for any inconvenience the traffic has caused to you and I was very sorry to hear about the difficulty you have experienced during your taxi trip to the airport. We have been aware of the transportation problem surrounding the hotel property and we have been taking active actions to make our guests’ travelling easier. However please understand that the hotel is located in the city’s largest wholesale market and traffic difficulty has been somehow unavoidable during some hours of the day. Our Concierge will continue to try their best and find taxi drivers to pick up guests from hotel with good manner, but as they are not part of the hotel staff, I felt very sorry how you were treated by the taxi driver. Hereby I’d like to recommend the limousine service provided by the hotel. The drivers have been well trained and the vehicles well maintained. You are very welcome to contact our Concierge to arrange limo service during your next visit.

In addition, I have noticed that you experienced some internet problem during your stay. Please be assured that our IT manager will re-examine the internet connection in the room your stayed in and will continue to monitor the internet speed in all guest rooms. High speed internet access has been a key brand standard of all Hilton hotels with Wi-Fi in all rooms. I sincerely hope you can come back in future and we will make sure to provide you with 100% comfortable stay.

As a newly opened hotel, we are working very hard to constantly improve ourselves and reach perfection. Your feedback therefore is very important to us as it is the driving force that pushes us to go above and beyond. It has been a pleasure having you as a guest and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang "where the little things mean everything!"

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Another business trip, another hotel. Comfortable enough but showing its age a little now. Needs some update such as in room wifi as the local 3G was terrible.
Nice restaurants, and probably well placed in the city, although I'm not entirely sure of that.
Had the only unfortunate stomach experience in three years of China travel while staying there, as did my colleague. We were reasonably certain it was the 'homemade' yoghurt at breakfast. Lesson learnt.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Sandy M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang and also for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. I have shared your comments with all concerned departments.

It has caught my attention that you were not very happy about our hotel condition. I apologize if you felt the décor is dated however our facilities, equipment, and room amenities are new as we are just opened for exactly six months. Our Executive Housekeeper will continue to monitor the condition of hotel and make sure all facilities and equipment are well maintained. Meanwhile, our IT manager will monitor the internet speed in guest rooms. High speed internet access has been a key brand standard of all Hilton hotels with Wi-Fi in all rooms.

Regarding your breakfast experience, I feel very sorry for your stomach issue. I have investigate with our Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager who both confirm we do not have homemade yogurt for breakfast. As food hygiene has been our top priority of customer service, I will highly appreciate it if you could provide us a little bit more information on what kind of yogurt you and your colleagues had during your stay. You may reply directly to my email as shows in my signature and let me know which period you’ve stayed with us, and what kind yogurt you had. I’ll further investigate this matter with concerned departments and take necessary actions. I hereby thank you very much for helping us to better monitor our food quality and hygiene standards. You are also very welcome to share with us your food preferences so that we can provide you with a satisfying dining experience next time.

As a newly opened hotel, we are working very hard to constantly improve ourselves and reach perfection. Your feedback therefore is very important to us as it is the driving force that pushes us to go above and beyond. It was a real pleasure to have you as our guest and I would like you to come back in future to re-experience the real DoubleTree culture here with us. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang "where the little things mean everything!"

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just returned from spending a week at this fine hotel. Have stayed at other nice hotels in Shenyang, but this one is definitely a cut above the rest. The facilities are quite elegant, the rooms large and spotlessly clean. No doubt we gained weight from the delicious offerings in the restaurants, and the pool with sauna, whirlpool and steam room was outstanding! Toured the spa but did not get a chance to use the facility, this will be on our next visit for sure. Easy to navigate the property (English is everywhere), and is close to area attractions and directly adjacent to the huge Wuai wholesale marketplace. From housekeeping to the General Manager, we found the entire staff to be extremely friendly, and were always at the ready to answer any question and attend to our every need. No more searching for hotels for our future visits to Shenyang, we have found our new home away from home. Thank you Doubletree!

Room Tip: Definitely stay on the Executive floors if possible, only adds to the experience.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Sandy M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Greetings from DT Shenyang!

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such positive review. We appreciate your comments as it is our most important channel to relate to the guests and continually monitor and improve our products and quality of services.

I enjoyed the time chatting with you and your wife on the Executive lounge while you were here. I’d like to sincerely appreciate your trust on choosing the newly opened DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Recognition from guests has been a big driving force for us to achieve high performance and create more rewarding experience to today’s travelers. I was also happy to know that you liked our room amenities, gym equipment, the F&B experience. It has been our goal to equip ourselves with the most state-of-the-art facilities and provide a most comfortable hotel experience to contemporary travelers. We have also been training our team members to demonstrate genuine care, a personable voice, and high service standards for guest worldwide. I have shared your comments with the relevant Heads of Department and we will make sure to maintain the level of service we offer to each and every guest.

I truly appreciate your comments and it has been a real pleasure to have you as our guest. I look forward to welcoming you back to the DT Shenyang “where the little things mean everything”!

Yours sincerely,

Tel (86 24) 8411 8818

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have been travelling to Shenyang on business over the last three years and finally I have found a hotel that ticks all of the 'boxes'. My frequent visits to China invariably result in prolonged stays of up to two weeks at a time - a good hotel can really make a difference and the Doubletree certainly did.

This is the first new hotel I have stayed in and the management and staff have achieved a very high standard very quickly - service was impeccable with the staff being helpful, courteous and enthusiastic at all times. The level of English spoken throughout the hotel made everything very easy - not always the case.

Check in and check out on the Executive Floor was very efficient and the hot cookie on arrival was a nice touch. The rooms are very spacious and nicely appointed with all the usual facilities available (good connectivity, WiFi and IPod docking). The fitness facilities are superb - the most professional I have experienced in a hotel (to date) with training machines to cover all requirements. The quality of the food and the restaurant facilities reinforced the overall feeling of excellence.

The hotel is well situated within Shenyang with easy access to many of Shenyang's superb tourist attractions. I have definitely found my 'home from home' and would not hesitate to recommend the Doubletree to all.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Sandy M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Greetings from DT Shenyang!

We sincerely appreciate your trust on choosing the newly opened DoubleTree by Hilton Shenyang and thank you very much for taking the time to provide such positive review. We appreciate your comments as it is the most important channel for us to relate to guests so as to continually monitor and improve our products and quality of services.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for recognizing the friendliness of our team members, their English skills, and efficiency of check-in. Recognition from guests has been a big driving force for us to achieve high performance and create more rewarding experience to today’s travelers. I was also happy to learn that you liked our room amenities, gym equipment, and restaurant facilities. It has been our goal to equip ourselves with the most state-of-the-art facilities and provide a rewarding experience to contemporary travelers. We have shared your comments with the relevant Heads of Department and we will make sure to maintain the level of service we offer to each and every guest. In addition, it was our pleasure to provide you with DoubleTree’s signature cookie upon check-in. Your comment “home from home” is exactly what we are striving to achieve.

As an opening hotel, there are definitely some areas where we need to improve ourselves on. We are especially working hard to establish a high reputation in the Shenyang market. Your feedback therefore is very important to us as it is the driving force that pushes us to go above and beyond.

It was a real pleasure to have you as our guest. I truly appreciate your comments and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the DT Shenyang “where the little things mean everything”!

Yours sincerely,