Kempinski Hotel Dalian
New World Dalian Hotel(Dalian)
$122
$160
$143
LuxuryCollection
  • Pool
All reviewspaulaner restaurantmarco polo restaurantcafe berlingreat hoteleye for detailnice city viewuntil midnightone bedroom suitefood for breakfastroom heatingfast internetgreat gymhuge bathroombusiness tripwi fimy colleagueeasy access
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have traveled extensively in China and elsewhere and can only say that this establishment suffers form the typical Chinese mentality: crazy rules that make for needless inconveniences and discomfort. " We don't have olive juice (only olives ??..), you can have coffee but it may take you an hour to get cream or sugar, the bar smells like a frat party trying to break a record for smoking cigarettes, ...." ... I could go on.

Why even bother here. Stay at the Shangri La or another international hotel that is run like one.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Well, so here is the thing:

I have chosen for the hotel, because I have been told it would be a great choice in this city in the North of China (I am living in Shanghai - and from that perspective it's pretty far up in the North).
The person's recommendation started with: well, since you are German....

So let me tell you what the German thinks:

It didn't make up for more than an average rating, sorry guys (specifically the ones in the hotel).
Service could be better - very much so for serving breakfast. In itself the breakfast was fine, but the staff supposed to help you consume it more or less pretended to not be there in the first place.

Whether you like the Paulaner downstairs - well, you decide. I am German, I expect it to be German. Let me tell you, it is not. But maybe you still like it - for being different....

The room are ok - with a view to a park, I did like that. The air condition did heat up the room throughout the day (for what reason? no clue...) and it was hard to get the temperature down to that level being comfortable for me to sleep.

Well, so would I recommend, would I come again? Sure why not, but I might want to try different hotels first - cities in China are so full of choice.... ;-)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank DieterKaufhold
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. The hotel was ideally located and very convenient to different parts of the city centre. There were plenty of restaurants of different cuisines in the vicinity, especially there were several shopping malls just on the other side of the road. The room was large and very clean, our extra large bed was very comfortable. Also the gym had pretty new equipment. We had buffet breakfast every morning and I must say it was reasonably good. The best thing of the hotel was free WiFi throughout the hotel and guest rooms. We had FaceTime with our son in Europe for an hour during our stay there and the connection was really good. Who wants to pay for the use of WiFi nowadays? Overall a 4.5 star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dorothy C
Reviewed April 5, 2014

To their defense we came here directly from a four seasons hotel in Shanghai, it's probably not fair compare them both. But since they're both 5-stars hotels we're allowed to.
The sleep-quality was not that good and when we tried to get a hold of a smaller pillow (they have gigantic ones) we received one filled with...peas!? The hairdryer was not working but we got a new one.

On the positive side their restaurant Marco Polo delivered one of the best streaks I've had in my life, it was absolutely fantastic. Please do yourself a favor and taste it (Australian Angus steak).

The executive lounge (where we had our breakfast) was also very nice.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2014

As the title says, the rooms are large and comfortable. Free internet - fast too. Staff very helpful and many of the staff speak English. Food is good but could use a little more variety in the buffet. Very close to shopping areas and taxis are plentiful. Overall 4.5 stars.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business