“German in Dalian”

Kempinski Hotel Dalian
Ranked #6 of 1,223 Hotels in Dalian
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Normally I prefer the Shangri-La, directly at my office, but this time it was fully booked, so I had to take another choice: Kempinski Hotel, which is also outstanding for its service, cleanliness, its good breakfast buffet, and of course for the Paulaner Restaurant in the basement, with own beer brewing, and is open for dinner rather late!.
as a foreigner going there you just feel like not being in China, except all the Chinese guests, who are loudly enjoying their drinking!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Ralf M

Reviewed November 4, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel room in Dalian, China, I truly recommend this hotel. I've stayed here so many times since 2011. Kempinski hotel is perfect hotel for me; their service, learge room, facilities, restaurant, spa. The first time I stayed there, that time was also the first visit to Dalian, but their staff are all friendly and they gave me a good tips about town. When I stay there less than 3 days I stayed regular room, but if I need to stay in Dalian more than 4 days, I stay at Executive floor, so I can get free pick-up service from air port, free landry service, and happy hour. I'll go back there again next month as usual.

Room Tip: if short trip premir room or normal studio room, but I prefre to stay in Executicve floor. It cost m...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank YuiA529
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I went to the Kempinski Hotel Dalian in September and my partner and I decided to treat ourselves to a studio room on the Club Floor.

On the hotel website, they provide a list of services that are included with the room. One of the services was airport pick-up. It was easy to arrange and the driver was waiting for us when we exited Immigration. However, the service was definitely a bit gruff. He didn't say hello, help with the luggage, or even smile. I can understand not communicating because of the language barrier, but the attitude of the driver isn't what I would expect from a five-star hotel.

The website claimed that a room on the Club Floor came with a free mini-bar. This is not true. After getting to the room, we noticed the price list. Nothing was free. Absolutely nothing.

On the last day, we had arranged to keep our luggage with the concierge and come back later to pick them up for our flight. We asked if it would be possible to use the showers and spa later on even though we checked out in order to freshen up before the flight. The front desk staff would have been totally justified to decline the request, however, she said it would be no problem. That was very gracious. However, when we went back to the hotel later in the afternoon, we were denied entrance from the front desk staff member because we'd already checked out. It was definitely frustrating as we had come back to the hotel early just to relax a bit before the flight.

These complaints aren't major issues exactly, but there were enough disappointments to make the trip less than ideal.

There were definitely positives though. The cleaning staff and bell boys were friendly and polite. The breakfast was good. Location was good as well. The rooms were also clean and well taken care of.

If you get a great rate, book this hotel. Otherwise, another option might be more appropriate.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scottleefe
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

The Berlin Cafe, where breakfast is served (on the second floor), is a well organized area with open view to the lobby. All kind of dishes for all kind of tastes . At the same level you'll find the Marco Polo restaurant with Italian kitchen ( for the pasta lovers) but without the proper decoration for a place of its fame (more prone to the Chinese customs than the European air). At the lobby bar you can enjoy your cigar having a glass of white wine from Chile or Australia and definitely worth to try the tuna mousse sandwich . As the hotel is located at a nice region of the city you can safely have a nice walk to the opposite side of the street so to get a grande latte from Starbucks . Several shopping centers around to buy clothes and stuff. No swimming pool or gym available in this 5 star hotel. Just a SPA that will give you a relaxing massage. DO NOT buy any of those expensive Chinese teas ( for 2500 RMB) from inside the hotel!!! My wife found exactly the same one at the shopping mall close by ( Dalian shopping Mall) with hardly 300 RMB! You can visit ( on the 5th floor) the genuine Chinese restaurant "Dragon's Palace" ( NON smoking...) . Follow the "S" in the menu ( specialty of the house). The fried shrimp are worth to try ( with the sweet sauce) but the sea cucumber with the special sauce has absolutely no taste, no odor, not even a show-off appearance ... We've got a couple of boxes with their preserved form from some local friends and - as my wife checked- they are really expensive and considered to be a unique delicacy! The marinated pork with the warm bun along with the fried dumplings (thank God we failed only in one dish....) . The former has an equilibrated balance between the fatiness of the meat and the sweetness of the bun ( small bread). The latter plate, although looking promising has an enormously raw vegetable as a stuffing which makes it disappointing at the end of your tongue. No warmth in the atmosphere and literally no others eating around us. So, at the end we visited the lobby bar to enjoy some live music with piano, flute and violin.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank HellasKifissia
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed at Kempinski/Dalian for two weeks in early September 2013; it was my first stop after leaving home. Four days before departure from the hotel I discovered that $535 was taken from my in-room safe. I knew exactly the amount and the denominations that had been in my money pouch. My ipod, passport, and the watch were untouched, presumably because those would have been immediately noticed if they are missing. I contacted Kempinski’s management and they told me to contact the police. I escalated my case, but still the management's reply was to contact the police. For a foreigner, who was leaving the hotel in 4 days, this was not helpful.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
11  Thank ht12013
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Even though I was on a non-smoking floor, the guest in the room across from me left his door open and smoked pretty much every time I left in the morning and returned to the room.
My room key stopped working -- it was probably because someone else was given the room after I checked in as a guy tried to enter my room.
The room is spacious and nice; the reception staff was lovely and efficient. It's just a pity about the above.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank wwglobal_traveller
Reviewed September 12, 2013

It is a beautiful hotel that i feel comfortble about the service.the food are delicious.the location is convenient.i can go outside to buy something easily.the associates are very nice and kind.the room is tidy and comfortble.i will choose the hotel next time i come here.it is a nice hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013