“Most expensive and worst coffee ever”

InterContinental Hotel Dalian
Ranked #8 of 1,214 Hotels in Dalian
“Most expensive and worst coffee ever”
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

I want to the Intercontinental Dalian to escape smog, traffic to relax with a nice coffee. So I thought. That was the worst China experience so far. I had the worst cafe late I have ever tasted in my life, with a price tag of 48 RMB ($9), served by the most rude staff I have come across, sitting on the most ridiculous chairs that will break your back after 10 minutes. Not worth it. Avoid at all cost.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Truly Y, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Dalian, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at InterContinental Dalian.

We are very sorry to learn that you have had an unpleasant coffee experience at our hotel.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience had caused. We have shared your feedback to concerning colleagues and for sure, they will make a study from it.

Kindly be advised that my email address is truly.yu@intercontidl.com, and we would appreciate you very much if you could contact us separately. We wish to understand further your coffee experience and it is rather important for us to improve our services and product quality.

Many thanks once again for your valuable comments.

We look forward to welcoming you at our hotel in your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I checked in at this hotel this week and to my dismay found that the room temperature was maintained at 28 degrees through master controls (thereby making the room temperature control unit redundant). It is extremely uncomfortable to sleep in a HOT room (the ideal temperature is between 21-24 degrees)... and after much negotiations, managed to get an air cooler into the room (which did bring down the temperature to 26 degrees... but at the cost of increased humidity). The resident manager does not speak any English and was unwilling to accommodate the request to turn down the temperatures... makes my whole stay miserable! Will have to speak with our company procurement to de-list this property.

Room Tip: Ask for business rooms - they are much larger...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Hemav M
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing InterContinental Dalian and taking your time to share your feedback about the hotel air condition.

We regret to learn about your stay experience in your recent visit at our hotel. We are sorry for the room temperatures issue. Our Chief Eng is copied on your comments and he will conduct a complete check on our aircon system. We also learnt that you are not satisfied with our manager on duty who handles your requests.

Please be advised that we have already started our language training program in order to provide a more efficient service to international guests.

Once again, many thanks for your kind comments and we are look forward to welcoming you at our hotel next time. We would wish to present you an improved service and product in your coming visit.
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I stayed at the Intercontinental Dalian for 4 nights in February 2014.

This is a pleasant, reasonably modern facility on the fringe of the downtown area. Rooms are very large and well appointed, with everything that you would expect at an Intercontinental property. Sleep quality was excellent.

This is not a positive review, though, and the IC Dalian falls down badly in a lot of areas.

The service is appalling….simply not up to standard. The level of English spoken by staff is the lowest I have encountered at an IHG property, and it colours every interaction. Worse is the obvious lack of training on all the ‘little things’ that matter when you stay in a hotel of this category; toiletries are not replaced, do not disturb signs routinely ignored, directions given by concierge were wrong, pool staff were nothing short of abusive (“You! No swimming cap! No cap no swim! Get out! Get out!”). I was very surprised to see a senior foreign manager standing and cracking jokes with the concierge while a group of guests were ignored behind them.

Overall, the staff appear unmotivated and untrained and the entire atmosphere is far too casual.

Wifi is so slow as to be utterly useless, with Outlook unable to send and receive emails at the low download speeds. For a five star business hotel, this is a major problem.

The fitness room is well equipped and should be a real sales point, but the machines are poorly maintained and even dangerous in some cases. After being thrown out of the pool for not having a swimming cap (there is no sign indicating that one is needed), I was astounded to see someone spit a huge ball of phlegm into the pool, right in front of the attendant. Apparently my near crew cut was a health hazard; spitting in the pool is fine.

Once again, my IC Platinum status was ignored, and the promised upgrade not delivered. This is not unique to Dalian, but is the promise of an upgrade to Platinum members is routinely ignored and should be just dropped from the ‘benefits’.

Overall, the IC Dalian is simply not good enough for the price. Major changes need to be made here.

Room Tip: You need to seriously consider another hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Ian_Pratt
Truly Y, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Dalian, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at InterContinental Dalian.

We are pleased to know that you appreciated our centre location and large rooms, aspects of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience our service may have caused you. Your comments about the staff service, swimming pool, fitness room have been documented and will certainly be looked into.

We will more focus on our operation staff English training and emphasis them the way of communicate with guests through hospitability standard.

Regarding Swimming Cap regulation, it is base on hygiene conditions of swimming pool. We do appreciate for your suggestion for signage for guest noticed.

Meanwhile, we are sorry that you did not get your Platinum member treatment of free upgrading. It might be lack of room availability for upgrading room type. We will keep this in your profile and ensure you are able to be upgraded for next time visit.

Thank you once again for your constructive comments. These will certainly enable us to improve the quality of IHG Rewards Club to better meet the needs of our members.

We hope despite your overall experience you will give us another tray next time as this is not the reviews we normally get.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel while attending the Asian Seafood Show. My stay was exceptional from check in to check out. I was upgraded to a spectacular suite that was as well equipped as any business hotel I have ever stayed in. The internet was fast, work space and amenities ample and the audio visual components very modern. The bathroom was very luxurious and the clothing area included a full wardrobe, pant presser, safe, and many personal amenities. The staff were great and attentive and the hotel property was well positioned in the center of the downtown business district.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Truly Y, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Dalian, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are very happy to know that you appreciated our large room, Internet speed and luxurious bathroom, the aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests. Meanwhile, we are also very delighted to know that our staff where great and very attentive which helped in making your visit enjoyable. We are happy to share this wonderful review with our team and your encouraging review will help us constantly improve our restaurant services, and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future!
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have stayed on two occasions now at intercontinental Dalian. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

The first time I stayed here in November 2013 I asked for a king non-smoking room, while the room was very large, in fact the largest room i had ever had in any hotel at this price the room was clearly a smoking room with the ashtray removed. Clearly because I could smell the stale cigarette smoke and there was a sign in the room that stated no smoking in the bed. Now I am asthmatic and having to stay in a room that was clearly a smoking room was not my idea of fun, however I had been working hard and never had the energy to complain about it, so after I left the hotel I began to think that if I had complained maybe I would have been moved so I never complained.

This time in the same hotel, I was given a kind room that was non-smoking this time, so that was good, however since arriving two days ago I have constantly requested that they leave some form of milk in my room so that I could have coffee/tea. I eventually decided that today I was going to keep calling until I got my milk. The first time they brought me lots of tea and coffee, ok.... so i might drink a lot but not that much.... my next request resulted in no one coming, and neither did my next two calls. I eventually cracked it and made it clear I felt I should be getting the 5 star service I was paying for..... I have now just received 1 litre of milk, perhaps a little too much for a few coffees but at least I got some eventually.

I also ate some lunch here today, a chicken with fried rice, while it was presented well, the flavour was awful. So bad I could not eat it.... 60 RMB for something so awful, how can this hotel get away with this.

I have stayed in other intercontinental hotels, in fact I am also currently residing in ANA Intercontinental in Tokyo, this is how a hotel should be run, its not perfect but its at least 5 start service, friendly staff and great food.

This hotel in Dalian is run down, service is terrible, and I would not recommend staying here. I certainly won't ever be staying here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Neel R
Truly Y, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Dalian, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience our service may have caused you. Your comments about non-smoking room, room service and lunch have been documented and will certainly be looked into, ensuring that we provide all our guests with an excellent experience while staying with us. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.
We hope this would not deter you from choosing InterContinental Dalian again in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again. Thank you!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

This property is beautifully appointed; however, I cannot recommend it without some strong warnings. Firstly though, the concierge and their staff work hard for you and deserve complements. After that, the staff deteriorates quickly.

Do not eat at Picolo's. They are clueless for the money you must spend. There are far better restaurants in other hotels. They are not well trained and ruined a very important meal for a client.

The rooms were unbearably warm. When asked if the thermostats were broken, I was told the Government had made them turn the a/c off. Yet, other hotels in the City did not seem to have received this order as the residents informed us their rooms were fine. Somebody was not truthful in their excuses and did not expect the patron to do due diligence on the story.

The bar was very poorly stocked, and the staff uninformed. Sad for a major hotel chain. The concierge lounge was not at all comparable to other like facilities in other Intercontinental hotels. Poor snack and food quality.

A number of us checked out early, and the written apologies provided on the hotel's website bordered on laughable. Read the reviews as they are truthful and be guided accordingly.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank fbrooksr
Truly Y, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Dalian, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for choosing InterContinental Dalian and taking your time to share your feedback about the hotel a/c facility and Piccolo’s speed of service.
Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience caused. We would like to assure you that we have communicated your feedback with the Engineering and Food & Beverage department and corrective actions have been taken accordingly.
Thank you once again for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again. Thank you!
San Francisco
Reviewed November 28, 2013

After a sub-standard one night hotel experience in the "new" city zone area, I was glad that I came to InterContinental hotel in the heart of downtown, despite of knowing there will be a long morning commute to my meetings the following day.

Hotel is situated in a nice part of downtown area where you have easy access to everything, particularly the train and light rail stations. While it is probably not the best or most posh spot in town, it is definitely central and convenient.

This hotel is likely among one of the best hotels in town - while it may not be a true 5 star property, it does provide all the comfort and amenities a business traveler like myself can possibly need. As a platinum member, I got an upgrade to the executive floor where I found myself appreciating the spacious room and the extra comfort. Internet and free breakfast is also free as a premier member benefit. Club Lounge on the top floor is nicely decorated with comfortable furniture, which also gives you a sprawling view of the city and provides free food and drinks to premier members..... BTW, did I mention the WHITE marble bathroom? Absolutely love it!

The only thing fellow travelers should be aware of is those "un-license" taxi cab drivers hanging outside the hotel trying to solicit your business and charge you overprice. Amazingly the concierge desk doesn't do anything to stop them. I was warned by my local contact that be sure to take the "metered" taxi cab with BLUE sign!

In all, this is definitely a solid 4-star (and beyond) experience and I wouldn't mind returning here again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Truly Y, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Dalian, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our spacious room, good location and club lounge made your stay experience more memorable. We will continue to strive in delivering quality services, allowing our guests' to indulge in the best they deserve.
Once again, we look forward to your next stay with us and continuous support in the near future. Thank you!