“Nice but the Buffet restaurant was horrible... Be aware of no-food !”
Review of Mercure Teda Hotel

Mercure Teda Hotel
Ranked #151 of 1,221 Hotels in Dalian
Reviewed August 17, 2009

The hotel and staff was nice and helpful for the price. I stayed 2 nights (Saturday and Sunday). I went for breakfast on Sunday morning (Aug. 16). I was very much surprized by the people inside of the buffet restaurant. It was like a public market! I counted the number of seats in the restauaurant. It was about 170 seats. I guess that there are over 200 people. Some are eating food while standing. I've never seen so crowded and noisy restaurant in my life. Of course,there are empty trays all around. I had to wait about 15 minutes for salad. I just grab two pieces of bread, a cup of coffee, and an egg. It was luxury if you can ask how the egg needs to be cooked. The next morning (Monday) was better with less people. However, the food was not good at all. There was no dessert at all. If I want to stay this hotel again, I 'd rather not buy breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Mercure Teda Hotel

Reviewed August 6, 2009

My friend and I stayed here for 3 days in July; it's located a bit away from downtown, which we enjoyed: we had a nice view of the hills behind us, and the location is midway between city center and the coast, which made both easily reachable via bus or taxi. The breakfast (included) was wonderful, with both Chinese and Western choices. The staff was very friendly, spoke excellent English, and was very helpful. The rooms were nicely appointed and comfortable, very nice shower with good water pressure. I will stay there again if I am lucky enough to revisit Dalian. Two drawbacks: (1) the taxis at the train station didn't seem to know where the hotel was, so make sure you have an address with you (!), and (2) they charged a ridiculous fee for using their computers for internet access (I think it was 1 rmb per minute, I don't remember because I wouldn't pay it!). Overall though, great hotel. I hear the food at the restaurant is good, but we were on a tight budget, and speak Chinese, so we ate at local restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2009

At half the price of other 5 star hotels in Dalian the Mercure is a bargain. Then when you add in the lovely rooms, great staff and the biggest swimming pool I have ever seen in a city hotel this is a hotel that I can recommend to both business and family travellers.
With the rates offered we could afford to splash out on interconnecting rooms, the most desirable luxury when travelling with two kids! The rooms were clean and spacious with lovely bathrooms and flat screen TV's. As we all know the most critical test of a hotel is how they respond when you have a problem. In our case a child who had fallen, cut his head and needed hospital treatment. We were immediately assisted by the duty manager, Rebecca, who accompanied us to the hospital, made all the necessary arrangements and supported us through it all (including sending the kids a pot of hot chocolate when we got back to the hotel).
Dalian is a great place to visit, lots of things to see and do and the hotel is ideally located for access to both the coast and the city. All in all a great trip despite the medical crisis!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Westynut
Reviewed May 2, 2009

I stayed at the Grand Mercure for a business trip, knowing that all my meetings were outside of Dalian town centre. For this reason the location of the hotel, away from the city centre was no problem for me.

Throughout my stay the staff were very friendly and helpful and all spoke excellent English. I was staying on the Executive floor and the room was very large and comfortable with an excellent bathroom.

I was staying in the 'Grand Mercure' part of the hotel which was great and very good value for money (approx USD150), my only complaint however was that the food in the restaurant does not match up to the overall high quality of the hotel. This aside, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2008

This was an excellent hotel during a 2 week trip around China. We were looking for a four or five star hotel in Dalian and this was the most reasonably priced property in the city that had an excellent rate on Orbitz.com.

Our arrival into Dalian got off to a bad start upon arriving at the airport. Despite being seasoned travelers we took some very bad advice from a welcome desk in the baggage claim area of the airport. Whilst waiting for our bags to come, we asked the help desk to write the name of our hotel in Chinese on a piece of paper – essential to have this in China as taxi drivers need this as English hotel names are NOT understood in Chinese. The actual translation for Dalian Mercure is something like “large flower” – “Mercure” means nothing to the Chinese.. The staff at the desk advised us our hotel would be 45 minutes from town and require an expensive taxi ride. They suggested that we change hotels to the Swissotel in the centre of the city. We refused this as we had already paid for the hotel. Further, they advised us that there were no taxis that operated at Dalian airport and our only option was the shuttle for 100RMB. We stupidly took this advice and despite receiving a personal service and private driver in an air conditioned van, the fare was nearly 2.5 times the regular price. There were plenty of taxis outside.

We arrived at the hotel and it was only about 20 minutes from the airport. Most importantly, we later learned it was only about 10 minutes into town. The alleged “45 minutes into town” was a lie. The hotel is situation closed to Tiger Beach and also off a residential area that was quite fascinating and in many ways felt like we were in a European suburb. We did not try the beach itself as it was raining most of the time in Dalian unfortunately.

The hotel lobby itself is very grand and the staff were excellent, knowledgeable, welcoming and had a very good level of English. As mentioned in other TripAdvisor reviews, the hotel is in two parts – one is the five star hotel and attached is the ‘regular’ hotel. Both are connected and appear to share the same services (ie restaurants and spa) but the rooms are upgraded in the five star wing. We stayed in the non five-star wing which was still of an excellent standard. I know the Mercure chain of hotels from stays in Europe but it is a whole different level in China. The quality and brand positioning of Mercure in China is much higher than you may know it in the west.

The rooms were very good, well maintained, very clean and were a nice haven after hours of walking the city and eating the wonderful seafood.

The spa was also excellent and the gym was well worth the 50RMB per person. Breakfast was included and whilst the dining room felt a bit chaotic and the coffee was quite weak, it was very good value for what was already an excellent rate. I believe we paid 300 RMB per night for a double room. The restaurant had a variety of Chinese and Western options and was a good start to the day.

Whilst the hotel was excellent, I would attempt to find a hotel of similar standard within the city of Dalian itself. It is quite easy to find taxis and the ride is only about 15 minutes but it is always nicer to be within the city and to be able to retreat to your hotel for midday breaks from walking around. The hotel appeared to offer a free shuttle service but it seemed to operate once per day in each direction.

Dalian was a highlight of our trip in China and I would recommend going to this city which was modern, clean and a seafood lovers paradise.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank BusyFlyingAround
Reviewed June 8, 2008

We stayed at Grand Mercure Teda in May 2006 and found it to be excellent value for money.

The hotel is actually made up of a four star and a five star hotel next to each other. We stayed in the five star but there was entrance to the four star hotel. I think the basic difference is that the pool and leisure facilities are free to the five star guests while four star guests have to pay.

The room was excellent. Stylishly decorated, flat screen TV, separate bath and shower, we were very happy with it. We were two males and had no problem requesting a king size bed. I booked on the hotel website and paid around 500 yuan per night.

Front counter service was good. We were discussing how to get to Lushun when the girl at the counter overheard us and warned us that foreigners need to get permission to visit Lushun. We called in advance and it turned out to be true so that advice saved us a wasted day. The tap handle in our shower broke off but we phoned down and it was fixed when we returned at night. However when I ran the hot water for a bath the water came out light yellow so the hotel needs to work on its plumbing system.

Used the gym and pool, both brand new excellent. The pool is 25 metres - huge for a hotel pool! Breakfast is fine - the standard selection of Western/Chinese/Japanese food is available.

I guess the only drawback is the location. The hotel is around 10-15 mins out of the main CBD by taxi although one does pass some attractive residential areas of Dalian that one wouldn't normally see without venturing out. I didnt find it a problem. However as the last reviewer mentioned some taxi drivers dont know the place. On older maps the place is called '21st Century Hotel' (Ershi yi shi ji jiu dian). Some taxi drivers dont know it has changed names. I guess it just pays to carry around a map when you get to Dalian. Also because of the location there are no shops or restaurants nearby except KFC down the street. On the other hand though it is quite near to the Lao Hu Tan beach - too cold for swimming.

Takes about 30 mins to the airport and costs about 35 yuan.

One tip for Lao Hu Tan. When you get off the bus there will be guys on motorcycles offering to take you on scenic tours. If you take their motor to the cable car and buy a return ticket then the ticket office will give them commission. So it should work out as a free ride from the bus stop to the cable car!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed March 9, 2008

Dalian is a lovely city, one of the nicest I have visited in China.

I booked the Mercure quite late on and got a fabulous deal (average price of $100 per night over the eight days i was there) for a suite. In the taxi in from the airport I started to get a bit worried because we passed the downtown area where all the other major hotels were and continued for quite a bit so be prepared, the hotel is located well away from all the other major hotels.

However it is a lovely hotel and my suite was excellent.
For the first few days it felt like I was the only one staying in the hotel so few people did I see.

The service and staff friendliness is truly outstanding and as good as I have received anywhere on my travels. Being so far out of the downtown area I spent the first few days eating in the hotel and it was good. The French chef knows how to put on a spectacular buffet.

However after a few days I ventured downtown at night to try something different and in truth although it was a 10-15 minute taxi ride it was only the equivalent of RMB 15 per trip (about $2) so it was no great hardship.

Be warned though, always take your little card with the address details of the Mercure hotel as very few taxi drivers have any clue where it is. I forgot my card one day and had no chance of getting back so I had to take a taxi to The Furama Hotel and have someone in that hotel write down for me the address of the Mercure.

Great hotel at a fantastic price with superb staff. If I am ever lucky enough to go back to Dalian I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Stayed: November 2007