“*** Cigger*** God awful place, Really bad”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Andover
Panther Lake Camping Resort
New Jersey
“*** Cigger*** God awful place, Really bad”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My biggest mistake was coming without reading the tripadvisor reviews. Someone wrote " The place was infested with ciggers, Nobody had ever heard of these things. You dont see them, but they bite leaving a welt and a blister like bump. Taking 7-10 days to heal The bites are awful and so sore. 13 out of 20 of us" THIS IS SO TRUE!!! I had never heard of this critters. We rented a cabin over the long weekend and cut our trip short because my daughter and I have these painful bites caused by "CIGGER". I thought they were mosquito bite but when I got home and did some research I learned something new. WHen we went to leave early they did not even bother to ask us why. The bathroom were Awful. I understand camping is rough but this place takes it to a totally different level. STAY AWAY ... NOT WORTH THE TRIP. Really awful .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank janet67

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I visited the campground yesterday and thought the lake was nice. The information about the seasonal rates and a map was provided. I asked a ton of questions then headed on to look at what sites were available. The roads are awful and ripped up badly. Markings were not good enough to find to see what the lot numbers are and there were several very old trailers that looked like they should be carted out. Anyway, I was quoted one price going in and then when I said I was interested the price went up hundreds of dollars. I don't think we can afford the rate or even if we could I think the rate was too high for such an area that has nothing to do other then go to bars in the area. There was quite a few sites available, maybe 1/3 were opened and the season is still running. I did not check out the pavilion or bathrooms. The sites were small I thought and there are people that make it look cheap and trashy due to crap on their site like plastic decorations and old beat up sheds and cider blocks, old trailers. Hope this helps. The lake is nice to look at but no lots are on the lake. Why I don't know. If it were my property I would use the view and charge more for the sites to make more money. They did have sport type game areas and a nice pool area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank barb732
East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was our second camping trip in two years. We had three campsites all together. We were next to the pool, and within walking distance to the basketball/tennis/volley ball courts, and garbage area. The swimming pool's bathroom was a few meters away from our site, and easily accesible. We all camped in tents, ate food off of grills, and enjoyed being with family and friends for 4 days. Our time away went too quickly, all the children had a great time - they are all ready asking to go back another time. All the staff were very friendly, and very helpful. We all knew going camping, was exactly that - camping! We dealt with the bugs, and night sounds... I would recommend anyone to go there, as long as you know camping isn't in a five star hotel room.... We all had a great time!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Caldwell, New Jersey
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We just spent a weekend here with friends, who rented the on-site trailers, while we stayed in a camp site in our tent. One of the two rented trailers was a bit more up-dated than the other, but certainly had the basics that were needed. Our friends seemed ok with their accomadations, it's not meant to be 5 star. We thought it was like a trailer park over on that side of the camp ground, with lots of people packed in, and yards with garden gnomes. The bathrooms on that side were quite clean, but you have to pay for a shower. On the other side of the campground where there are more tents and campsites, the bathrooms are not so great. I realize it is camping, but I think the bathrooms could have at least been swept out of the bugs and such. No showers except in one of them, and there is only one stall for a shower, and it was no big deal. It is loud, despite the "quiet hour" rules, with people playing music and talking into the night. The campsites are on the small side, and we just about fit our tent, screen porch, car and picnic table. Glad for the water and electric hook-ups at the site. You HAVE to buy their firewood at $5.50 for about five or six logs, so they have you there, especially if you are using the fire to cook over. The staff seemed friendly, but at times a bit unorganized. We were expecting two people to get there around 10p.m., and the staff said these people would need a token to get into the camp, so we would have to pay $1. When we went to get the token, because we realized they would be later, they said we didn't need one. Same type of thing when we used their canoes...we were told to rush over to the canoes, because other people would want to boat, but when we got there, it was no big thing to wait for our friends. Pretty lake to boat on, not sure I would swim in it. The pool was nice, fairly clean, but we had to lug our chairs to the pool because none are provided, and there is no shade, so bring a beach umbrella. They have mini golf, but it's a bit old and run down. It seemed like there were many more people who stayed for the summer season, than just a week or weekend. We would probably not go back because we didn't think it was anything that great, but again, it depends on your idea of camping.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank LeeCaldwell
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Our family camped at Panther Lake for Labor Day Weekend. This park has beautiful scenery, and fishing/boating on the lake was excellent! The kids really enjoyed the park, and were excited to see that an addition to the playground will be up and running by next season. The planned activities were great, and the variety of the entertainment gave a little something for every age. We stayed in a park model rental because we aren't the "rough it" type, and everything was great - they come equipped with kitchen and bathroom facilities. We look forward to returning next season, but this time for Columbus Day Weekend for their Halloween festivities that we heard so many great things about!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Mikaela L
Mount Bethel, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I recently stayed at panther lake and my family and I had a great weekend. We loved kayaking on the lake and fishing. The staff in the office were very accomadating with us and the manager helped us pick out a perfect site. We will definitely be coming back for next year.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jessica E
pa
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Sites like parking lots . The creek behind sites was nothing but slug. The sites had water run off . It was a big mud whole. Not just one site but all 9 . The place was infested with ciggers, Nobody had ever heard of these things. You dont see them, but they bite leaving a welt and a blister like bump. Taking 7-10 days to heal The bites are awful and so sore. 13 out of 20 of us, Had to go to the Dr. for medical treatment for the bites. At about 6;30 at night we had the music on the securtiy guy comes running into our site. Turn that off we dont run a place like this. Looking for a fight, wasnt nice at all.So he tells us I wont come back down here again.I will just send the police. So all night the police pass our sites. Great fun. Yes we did turn the music low and we were considerate of others. Funny thing when our music was down we heard all kinds of other noise from other campers. This place has people who live there, so you fell like you camping in there neighborhood. Next year its camping in our back yard, or maybe a beach house in North Carolina, I rather take my chances with sand fleas.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank shnnsh

Travelers are raving about these Andover hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Andover
Residence Inn Mt. Olive at International Trade Center
#1 of 2 in Mount Arlington
Super 8 Budd Lake
Super 8 Budd Lake
#1 of 4 in Budd Lake

Been to Panther Lake Camping Resort? Share your experiences!