“This is deffinitly not a 5 star hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of HNA Redbuds Hotel

HNA Redbuds Hotel
Ranked #241 of 669 Hotels in Changchun
Hannover, Deutschland
“This is deffinitly not a 5 star hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

I am travelling a lot, all around the world, and I stayed in many hotels.
I stayed in some 4 or 3 stars hotels, which are better than this.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed for 1 night. The room was ok, food ok.

The rooms do vary floor to floor with some fairly grand rooms on some floors

• Stayed February 2012
      Location
      Rooms
Madrid
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

Well, I suppose the first challenge to an international traveller is the fact that there's probably 4 people in all of Changchun that speak proper English. It is one of those cities that just feels strange to arrive in. Huge, bustling by buildings but the airport is... empty...
I flew into Changchun from Seoul, after an interesting flight in which we were ordered to close our windows while over NK, and got off the plane to find 3 out of 7 carousels working... What's funny is that this city doesn't have very much international exposure, so you can expect the people that fly in with you on the plane to have to be not-so-aware- of international travel etiquette.. An example of this was the 5 chinese teenagers directly in front of us who jostled and pushed the other passengers so they could be first on the jetway...only to block it while they took turns taking pictures of each other...on the jetway, with the door of the plane behind them....And 100 very curious passengers in front of them..
Navigating the airport is pretty simple, just be careful to hold onto your luggage tags as chinese police will compare it to the tag on your bag before you leave the arrival hall. It's a practice I haven't seen before in places like beijing or shanghai but I suppose it's due to the different ambience in Changchun. Departing the airport into the city, it's pretty organised and not so crowded as its size might show, but you can see some much more interesting things if you pay attention.
We got to the hotel just before sundown... Remember, my first comment was about English so my hosts had to check me in... The staff in this hotel is pretty polite but ... completely clueless as to what a laowai (foreigner) would want... Up to my room. The bathrooms were ok but beware of the fact that there seems to be a water conservation system in Changchun and the shower will not flow as freely as in Beijing or Shanghai. The same applies to the lavy, needs to be flushed firmly (3 or more times) before it works properly.
Now, this is the part I find rather odd, which no one (not even my hosts) could explain to me. I walked outside the hotel, to be confronted by a chinese policeman, just outside in the parking lot, who waved me back into the hotel, I'm not sure why, as he spoke no english nor did I speak any mandarin, but he wouldn't let me leave the hotel... the first night (on my own) I tried to get an explanation from the staff, but to my irritation no one spoke any english, and the policeman did not enter the lobby with me...
I went back up to my room and found it open, with a hotel staffmember there, looking around. I asked her what she was doing and she just walked out without saying a word. The next day I reported these issues to my hosts who promptly assigned me a driver for the entire day.. Fair enough, no more disruptions.
On the second night I went to sleep and woke up to some loud banging outside my door. I opened the door and (literally) walked into a scaffolding some workers had erected just outside the door and were doing some work on the A/C duct.. (sighs) I walked out and into the lobby and asked my hosts to tell the hotel to upgrade me... Which they did, same room type, higher floor.
Two things that impressed me about my stay at this hotel. The internet is lightning fast, and the breakfast buffet is the biggest I have ever seen (and I've stayed at some big hotels)
I advise anyone that decides to stay at the Redbuds to keep your door latched if you're in it. The staff will walk in without warning which can lead to some embarassing incidents. Also, if you travel with valuables like cash or traveller's cheques, be sure to keep them stored out of sight, and out of hand. The rooms I stayed in did not have safes so you can be pretty sure there is a potential for problems if you are careless.
Not my best, but by no means my worst experience during my travels. I confess Changchun was a lot more enjoyable with my hosts who could speak english, and not with the hotel interpreter who ended up sending me in a taxi to Jilin city (75 kms away from Changchun) instead of Jilin avenue in the city......
Good luck of you decide to visit ! My opinion is Changchun is a typical classic chinese experience which gives you a unique insight to the true China and what to expect from the culture there. If you're into history like me Changchun is a treasurechest waiting to be discovered.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are much quieter