“Good Location, Nice Staff, Needs a Remodel”

Shangri-La Hotel, Changchun
Ranked #4 of 693 Hotels in Changchun
Reviewed November 1, 2013

A 40 minute drive from the airport, traffic gets worse as you get closer. The hotel is in a nice area surrounded by your typical high end shopping area (which I hate). The front counter staff was wonderful, I was impressed by their warm helpful nature. Rooms were just ok... A little small, but manageable. Restaurant served a good breakfast.

There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Hotel, Changchun

Reviewed November 1, 2013

The check in staff is actually one of the best I found in Shangri La hotels, however I can't really say the same thing about the Chinese restaurant staff which has not been really nice and obliged us to repeat the order 3 times before getting it right. The hotel is very good located and still for me the one with the best value for money balance. They should renew the rooms and their bathrooms: although mine was spotless, furniture and sanitaries are a little bit dated. Also avoid the customers to smoke horribly smelling cigarettes in lobby bar!!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

In general, Changchun's hotels are overpriced and underperform. The reoccurring theme of the stay was: good, but nothing special.

The Shangri-La is adequate: clean with good breakfast. However, our room was small and dated (our bathroom was a bit unpleasant…it made me think of a mediocre Best Western). The lobby has undergone an extensive renovation since I was last here in 2007 and looks fine. The lobby restaurant has also been renovated – I believe it is smaller than before. Breakfast was good, but nothing special.

The location of the hotel is good, and there are many interesting places nearby.

I would recommend the Shangri-La, but only for lack of other options. I plan to ask my secretary to book me at the Songyuan Hotel next trip so I can compare it to the Shangri-La.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Our 2 night stay in the Shangri-La Hotel, Changchun was all that we could have wanted & more. From the excellent service at the check-in, to the bar & on to breakfast we were well taken care of by the very attentive staff. Our private reception in the ballroom was perfectly planned & beautifully decorated. The food was amazing, thanks to a wonderful chef from Elsass! The breakfast buffet had everything we could ask for but my favourite were the fresh waffles. The room was clean & comfortable as well as the bathroom. Definitely worth another trip back to Changchun.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

On my way to Changchun, I had to call the hotel three times, because my flight was first delayed, then diverted. Each time the person taking my call didn’t speak English, had to look for someone who could, finally I used my not too perfect Chinese. While this was a problem, especially when I had to spell my name, they were very friendly. I had guaranteed my reservation with a credit card, but although it was 11 pm when it was clear that I would be one day late, they changed my dates and didn’t ask me to pay for my no-show on the first night.

From check-in to check-out the service everywhere was very attentive and competent, room service appeared immediately when called, when I went to swim in the fitness club, someone accompanied me until I had everything I needed. The swimming pool is very nice, even with a lane separated off which can be used for training.

I had reserved a Deluxe room, which was quite spacious, with sufficient desk space for working and a sitting group for talking with guests. The internet in the room is free. There was no luxury, no designer furniture or textiles, so it wasn’t a room where you would plan to live permanently. But I felt very comfortable there during the two days of my stay.
The breakfast is very good and leaves out nothing you could wish for. In the evening, the restaurant was good, but not luxurious. The salmon wich I ordered was a little dry.

All in all, the hotel offers good value for money and I am certain to come back.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

One of my best stay in China.Excellent location. Great food, Best staff; The lounch bar was excellent,; Express elevators (never wait more then 1 min.; Breakfast buffet was excellent : price was very good for tisk 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Modern built 25 Storey hotel, with excellent central city location.

Car access is a problem, through a site street, with very limited parking except underground.

Excellent business floor ( Horizon Club ), with outstanding services there !

Rooms/Suites are new, well maintained.

Room Tip: Book at the business floor level ( Horizon Club ), just the breakfast services there are worth it...