“High quality business hotel”

InterContinental Hotel Wuxi
Ranked #2 of 669 Hotels in Wuxi
Sydney, Australia
“High quality business hotel”
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel, whilst quiet when we were there, was impressive. Started well with a very helpful concierge who we rang from the airport to provide directions to the taxi driver. All staff were professional and it was particularly helpful that the majority of the staff spoke at least some English. The room was very good, new, large and well furnished. I am not a huge fan of the new prevalent design of a large window between and bedroom and the bathroom but at least there is an automated blind to close this off. Wifi in the room was no good but worked well in the Club Lounge. We had dinner in the Senses steak restaurant which was good but very expensive. I would probably recommend eating in the main restaurant instead. Breakfast in the main restaurant was very good with a huge range of options. Overall a recommended option for business travellers.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
vivian f, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Wuxi, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear InterContinental Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay at InterContinental Wuxi. We are very glad to know that our staff and service helped make your visit enjoyable! We strive to achieve excellence at every level. Learning that our professionalism and attention to detail did not go unnoticed is the best reward.

InterContinental Wuxi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is clearly a VERY well managed, attention-to-every-detail property in every regard. They did not disappoint in any detail or aspect regarding service, amenities, cleanliness, modern appearance, or comfort.
I was promptly greeted at the taxi and was greeted over and over by each employee as I entered and walked through the property each day. As a top-level member in their frequent traveler program, my check-in was very quick and painless. The elevator buttons at each floor are these huge touch panels - a little odd, but don't waste time looking for a little round button, just touch the panel.
The keys are old-style mag-strip and they are required to power the room and HVAC, so get two so you can have power in your room and have a comfortable room when you return in the evening.
The room furnishings are first class all the way. My room had a huge TV and DVD player, clean modern furniture, and a great desk/workstation. The lighting was above average - and like most Chinese hotels, the room lights can be turned off at bedside.
I can list the higher end hotels I have stayed at in Asia including JW, Pullman, Sofitel, Hyatt, etc... so what sets this apart? Well, it is the attention to detail, and no cutting corners anywhere. If you look in the bathroom of many hotels you can find some detail not perfect - like tile grout not meticulously cleaned top to bottom - finger prints on chrome fixtures, smears in a foggy mirror - not here. Not at the Intercontinental Wuxi. It is clear that the discipline is maintained throughout the hotel. The breakfast was another example of the lengths they go to to provide a remarkable customer experience. First class food and an extremely wide variety of foods both Asian and western.
This is a hotel that I will certainly recommend and return to in the future!

Room Tip: I was given room 3201, and I think it was larger than my first home - and clearly larger than an ave...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
vivian f, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Wuxi, responded to this review, December 5, 2013

Shanghai, China
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I stay in this hotel 2 night this month. It's my first time choose this hotel. The first image is very good.
The bed is very comfortable and the washroom is very big. The supplies in washroom are very good.
My favorite for this hotel is breakfast. There are many available food : fresh squeezed juice and local special food like Xiaolong etc. they are all delicious.
But just one thing is not good, I spend about 30 minutes for checking. I want it will be better when I check in next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
vivian f, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Wuxi, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Dear InterContinental Guest,

We are glad to know that you have enjoyed our hotel( room, breakfast, etc). Feedback such as yours is very valuable to us.We have noted down the problem about check in efficiency and will be reviewing this with my team to ensure that this does not occur again in the future.

Looking forard to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wuxi soon!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed at the Intercontinental with my husband & was impressed with this new hotel for Wuxi. It was 2009 the last time I visited Wuxi and the city has changed so much. This is a high rise modern hotel. The room we were in over looked the Wuxi Museum, also new in the last four years & a very impressive building. The park around the museum was full of locals taking their dogs for walks, kite flying & roller skating. There is a hire for mini electric cars for little kids which was really cute. I would like to say thank you to the staff at the Intercon for great service William and Simon and all the team create a very welcoming atmosphere. Thanks guys for looking after my husband while he has been there on business I can see now he is staying in a great place. My only gripe is please tone down the load music at breakfast, the area is surrounded by fountains and running water so it would be nice to enjoy the natural sound & not a disco back beat. Breakfast was delicious & an excellent selection of western & Chinese to choose from.

• Stayed September 2013
vivian f, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Wuxi, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear InterContinental Guest,

Feedback such as yours is very valuable to us.Thank you again for your support. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to InterContinental Wuxi soon!

Aalborg, Denmark
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We received a good deal to stay at this hotel - only problem we were only there for one day.
Everything we needed was catered for during these few hours.
We also received a complimentary upgrade to a suite.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
vivian f, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Wuxi, responded to this review, September 8, 2013

Sherbrooke, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We just had company offsite this week in this hotel, so basically I stayed in the hotel for two days, which offers broad exposure from guest room, meeting room to the restaurant. Let me provide comments based on these three aspects:

Guest room:

Intercontinental has narrowed its benefit to Ambassadar recently. No access to lounge service although we are upgraded one level to the executive floor. It is OK to me this time as we were in meeting whole day but other guests might feel disappointed.

The executive room is big enough, but bed size is below queen size. Considering this is executive floor, it seems a bit below expectations. Besides, quilt is too thick to me and there seem to be no alternative.

In terms of bathroom amenities, it is Agarius per Continental consistency, but all have been localized. Maybe we can blame this to hefty tarriff, but this might make a difference to picky business executives.

Meeting Room:

Decent size and few companies have meeting in the hotel, but on the other hand, AC in the corrider was not operating maybe due to few guests. This is a problem for us when we split into group discussions and some group has to work in the corrider. We asked for AC turning on, and although eventually it worked, the first response from hotel is hesitant. As a premium hotel there is no reason to displease guests by saving electric bills.

Restaurant (Food)

Personally, I put smoked salmon as one of major indicator of top-star hotel. Unfortunately, no smoked salmon available until I asked for it. The manager mumbled a few words and after a few minutes, a small dish of salmon was delivered to my table, and he said only executive floor guest can enjoy salmon. This is quite funny, weird and annoying. I just cannot believe Intercontinenal as a global premium hotel just don't provide salmon as buffet.

Overall, this hotel seem to save every penny and cost reduction appear to be overly highlighted. If you are seeking five-star experience, please weigh on other options.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
vivian f, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Wuxi, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear InterContinental Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I was very distraught to hear of your unpleasant experience with us and will be reviewing this with my team to ensure that this does not occur again in the future.

Feedback such as yours is very valuable to us.Please accept my sincerest apologies. I hope that on your next visit to Wuxi you will allow us the opportunity to redeem your faith in InterContinental Wuxi.

I look forward to hearing from you and to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wuxi.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Intercontinental Wuxi is convenient located about 30 min drive from Wuxi Airport. It's situated in a newly developed district and is also close to the old town (the heritage 'walking street' - Nanchang Jie (Street), of which you can find all kind of pub (taxi fare from the hotel was in the 'RMB10 zone', that is within a very short distance and the cab driver will not flag the meter down and pocketed the fare).

We stayed at the Club floor at 37th floor (top floor), room is very spacious and is over-looking the city. The wifi signal at the Club is strong and speed is very fast. The Club serves daily buffet breakfast and afternoon snacks. There's even equipped with meeting facilities to use (a casual sitting room, a small conference room and a small private room with working desk and desktop computer). But if you have an appetite and you need more more, go for the buffet b'fast at the I-cafe, it'll definitely wow you. And for those who doesn't have confidence to eat at the local eateries, there're four restaurants at the hotel serving Chinese, Western and Japanese food.

One thing I'd commend the management team is that they've put a sign in the non-smoking room reminding guests not to smoke in the room or else they have to pay a fee for purifying the room. It works ... our bed mattress and the carpet doesn't smell.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
vivian f, Manager at InterContinental Hotel Wuxi, responded to this review, August 2, 2013