“Great location. Spacious and fantastic room and bathroom. Well worth it.”
Review of Hotel Nikko Wuxi

Hotel Nikko Wuxi
Ranked #8 of 666 Hotels in Wuxi
Sydney, Australia
“Great location. Spacious and fantastic room and bathroom. Well worth it.”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

From the hotel, you can walk to shops, restaurants and other amenities - including those on Nan Chang Lu (street), which was like a small city of lights in the evening. The hotel is also a short drive to the speedrail station. Check-in staff spoke excellent English and was quick and very helpful. We needed a change of room because the AC in our allocated room was a bit hot, and that was done quickly and amiably. Room was spacious, clean and the bed comfortable, with an excellent view onto the city. The bathroom and shower was clean, large and fantastic, with a full complement of bathroom amenities. Wifi was available in the room free and the response was good. Our stay at Nikko was well worth the expenses. Wuxi is an amazing city, with its incredible old quarters and its festival of cherry blossoms (mid to late March) and friendly and cheerful people. We will be back to Wuxi and we will stay at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hitchin, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Rolling up to the front entrance at the Nikko hotel I was pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome. The foyer and entrance are well appointed and the receptionist spoke good English.
The rooms are well appointed with free internet, all be it wired internet in the rooms, but wireless in the public areas. The breakfast on the second floor is pretty standard, with Chinese, Japanese and Western food available and plenty of fresh fruit and salad. There is also freshly prepared Japanese breakfast in the restaurant on the top floor, which is excellent.
The hotel is perfectly located in the recently refurbished Nan Chang district, which is within walking distance of the commercial city centre, but you would probably want to take a taxi if you were going to the railway station. It is also quite convenient to get to the Industrial and airport areas. The area around the hotel has many resteraunts, coffee shops and bars, both western style and Chinese style bars. Nan Chang Lu, just across the road a way looks really nice in the evening, with illuminations along the street as well as the canal at the rear of the shops. I immagine there will be canal trips to be had in the summer, but it was a little cold for this in February. If you can get a decent price deal, this is a good value hotel in a very nice and convenient location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank John K
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Nikko Wuxi hotel it's a nice surprise in China. The room is very well and quiet. Bath room is fantastic and with everything we need. People are very friendly and available. Internet is slowly but available and free. Conference rooms are nice. Restaurants and bar very goods with good service.

Room Tip: High floors have less street noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank cristovao
Shanghai, China
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

I don't think this is a real Nikko hotel , nothing up to Nikko standard except the shower in the bathroom. Breakfast is bad, food choices is little ,quality is not good, services is bad. They give me a smoking room but didn't ask me I I am smoke or not. The room have a bad smell. Only good thing is the location, close to the bar street. I would not come back to this hotel if I come to Wuxi again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 26, 2012

This hotel is beautifully designed and because of its newness, is truly attractive on the surface. I especially like the location, right next to the bar and restaurant area of new Wuxi. This area is somewhat like the Xintiandi found in Shanghai, where quaint buildings from the early years of the last century are restored and converted to be bars, restaurants and shops. Yes, it's commercialised and some die-hard purists would say it's not the real deal, but I am less picky. I ate at two restaurants in this area, one Hong Kong style and another Korean style, and both are within a 10 minute walking distance from the hotel.

Now, what's wrong with this hotel? Perhaps because I came thinking that it's a Japanese-run hotel, so should be comparable to the Okura Garden Hotel in Shanghai and many of the Nikkos which I've been in other parts of Asia. After all, Japanese service ranks as one of the best in the world, and even a fraction of that would go miles in China, a country not known for its service standards.

Alas, that was not the case. I arrived in a taxi and had to wheel my own luggage to check in from the door; the door man saw me and said nothing. Never mind, small matter, I thought to myself.

Then I asked to have my Okura membership number inputted into my stay, during check in. The receptionist, called Lena, told me that the membership is not valid here. She claimed that she'd never heard of Okura and simply brushed my print-out of the booking aside, which has BOTH the Okura and JAL Hotels logos on them. I asked her to check with her colleague and she gave me the dirty look, and called Reservations. Sensing that she might just start a fight if I push her too much, I let it be and she simply forgot about the matter although she did say she will check and get back to me.

Another matter is with the concierge. I asked if there is a clay figurine museum in Wuxi, which showcases the famed Huishan clay figurine culture, which I'd read on the net previously. The concierge, an Indian man said he is not familiar and asked me to ask his colleagues at reception. The reception girls, all 4 of them, were clustered together giggling and looking at some messages from one of their boyfriends on one of their iPhones and showed me that dirty look again when I asked them for help. Never mind, I smiled and asked them if they knew. All four shook their heads, one of them said she's local and had never heard of Huishan clay figurines. Weird.

Throughout, I spoke Mandarin. I don't think my Mandarin is not intelligible to them, since I have many Chinese clients who said that my Mandarin is as good as anybody else in China. So weird, I think the staff in this Nikko simply cannot be bothered, or they understand another language other than Mandarin. I am not happy for sure, but then again, I might had come hoping for too much what a Nikko can offer. I suppose I must rectify this mindset of mine from now on.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the bars and restaurants, nicer view. The other view faces a power station in t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sal the Fat Fish
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The only reason Hotel Nikko received three out of five is because I have spent time in other hotels in Wuxi and this is not the worst.

It's a fairly new property at 18+ months old. But you'd never know it from how run down it is. My bathroom walls are water stained (so is my colleague's room) and the condition of the room is horrific once you look past the glitzy furnishings. It's also located in an up-and-coming tourist area with western restaurants and bars. But only a few of them are up and running as of now.

The rooms are very large compared to other hotels. So it is tempting to do some exercise in the morning - that is until you look closer at the carpet....I had the same piece of carcass/debris in the center of the carpet for days - so it's pretty clear they don't vacuum on a regular basis. Long strands of hair (I have short hair) seem to appear randomly everywhere you look. My key didn't work after the first day.

The view of the nuclear plant out of the window caps it all off. But it's not the worst hotel in China, so it gets three out of five from me.

Room Tip: Any clean one will do!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Amge55
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for about 5 days for business trips. I arrived pretty late, 1am in the morning but cordially welcome by the receptionist. They are friendly. Speak little English, but it get easier if you speak Mandarin. My key wasn't working that night, exhausted, good thing the hotel phone is just 10 feet away. The floor manager came within 3 minutes and get me in. Very apologetic over the incident. My room is spacious, tastefully decorated. I love it. I have great view of Wuxi town from my room, which was only a short distance away. There were many underground shopping mall, restored old buildings and a big temple closeby. There was also a boat cruise, if you ish to tour the city in a different way. No short of good restaurant within the vicinity.
I found my stay enjoyable. The buffet spread are marvelous, huge and well stocked. The laundry service was fast and convenient.
The only drawback is by no means the fault of the hotel. Just be cautious when crossing the road in Wuxi because the vehicles doesn't necessary stop when the light is red or even when you cross the padestrian crosswalk. Keep alert for the traffics at all direction at all time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business