“The best place we stayed”

Grand Metropark Hotel Suzhou
Ranked #21 of 1,459 Hotels in Suzhou
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I loved this hotel.. it ought to be a 6 star.. seriously.. I mean HOW MANY hotels do you know of.. you can lay in bed.. push a button and the curtains will open! We had a couch, but the tv swiveled in the middle of this HUGE room so we could see it when in bed. The windows were huge with a great view. The staff were fantastic and spoke very good English and the food they put out for the buffets were amazing! They could have fed an army.. the very best though.. There was a SUBWAY next door!! I cannot tell you HOW GOOD that turkey sandwich was.. and the chips.. just plain old lay potato chips.. ohh such a treat! Okay back to the hotel. We had no problems with our wake up call, breakfast or the bed, which was hard to get out of in the morning! I would so stay here again.. It is lovely with lovely people..

Room Tip: we had a King room, on a high floor that over looked the street. The windows are triple pane (probab...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sitkasky
There are newer reviews for Grand Metropark Hotel Suzhou

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I like this hotel a lot. I was skeptical about how the rooms would be in this city; however, I was impressed they were huge. The lobby was grand and even had a piano bar..
I especially liked the silk sheets and comforter that were appointed to the rooms. I was on a high floor and had a great view.

The breakfast was the best breakfast that we had in China...HUGE!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

On a recent trip to China, we stayed at five different hotels, and this was, by far, the best. tesChecking was seamless and the staff were, without exception, courteous and professional. I ordered a converter from the front desk, and it was delivered to me in less than 5 minutes. The suite was immaculate and the beds and bedding were comfy and begged me to stay tucked in. Unlike some previous reviewers, I found the beds not all that hard so maybe they have changed their mattresses. I only stayed long enough to enjoy breakfast in the restaurant. The buffet featured an amazing choice of both Western and Chinese food, and was all delicious. There was actually good coffee available, and a server refilled it frequently, which was the first and only restaurant to provide both. My only complaint was that I only had one night in this hotel.

There is free internet connection in the rooms, but no free Wifi, except in the lobby. You can purchase a converter from any of the markets for around $20 Cdn, that plugs into the wall, then the internet connection plugs into the converter and let's you access it as Wifi.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to break up their trip to China with a little bit of luxury.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Went to China in January as part of a tour with China Tours sold through Living Social Escapes. We visited Suzhou as an overnight and stayed at this hotel.Overall the entrance is grand and the hotel is comfortable but there is no pool and the bar/lounge was very average. The room is clean and well kept however the bed was rock solid in that the matress was very thin. The breakfast buffet was excellent and the staff were nice but there were not a lot of english speaking employees so it was difficult to communicate.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The check in was without any hassle. The front desk staff were very professional and handled everything very well.

We were very pleased and impressed with the room. It was a very large " junior suite". Everything was well appointed and clean. Restaurant and bar service was very good.

Mattress is very firm, but I slept soundly. No complains.

Very pleasant surprise compared to other hotels in the region.

Room Tip: Ask for non smoking floor
Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gnatsum
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The public rooms of this hotel are stunning, but the bedrooms are in need of some attention. The carpet in our room was worn and the walls could have used a new coat of paint.
The beds had the firmest (Dare I say "hardest"?) mattresses I have ever encountered in a hotel. I must admit I slept well, but others in my group did not. Otherwise, the linens and toiletries were excellent.
The breakfast was also excellent, featuring English, Chinese, Indian and Kosher buffets.
I did not really interact with staff except the morning servers who were very attentive.
It was raining while we were there and so I did not have occasion to explore the grounds, but they were beautiful from the view from the room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was the second hotel included in our tour and the best. I rate it 5 star for cleanliness and comfort. The room was a combo LR and BR separated by a rotating flat screen TV. Very comfortable layout and very clean. The bathroom was bright, clean, modern with all the comforts of a 5 star hotel. Bed, and pillows were extremely comfortable by US standards. My only complaint being a non smoker was there was the smell of smoke in the hallways and lobby. We had a full breakfast buffet included and it was a variety of US and Chinese breakfast items. A runny omelet is my chief complaint. I just couldn't get a good omelet in China.

Room Tip: Choose a No Smoking floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends