“A very comfortable hotel!”

Grand Metropark Hotel Suzhou
Ranked #21 of 1,459 Hotels in Suzhou
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This hotel has nice guest rooms. The room was spacious with a large sitting area separated by a TV, interesting layout. Bathroom was modern and spacious too. The room gave me a very clean feeling. Loved the firm beds which was difficult to find in North American hotels.The breakfast buffet had too many choices but we only had very limited time to enjoy as we were with a tour group. I didn't want to leave, we only stayed for a day, too bad!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank grace_cheung
There are newer reviews for Grand Metropark Hotel Suzhou

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very nice hotel. Comfortable. Bright. Good location for business, but not very central to attractions.

This is a Hong Kong owned property so the hotel has a different feel than the American brands. Maybe slightly more formal???

Lobby is big, bright, and usually quite busy. Hotel seems to attract large groups like conferences and tour buses. Staff is attentive, courteous and efficient. Only improvement I would like to see is a better area to wait in. The lounge is either closed or not convenient to wait for a ride.

Breakfast is good with a large variety that is typical of this class of hotel. Every taste is accommodated. Only quibble is that the coffee is sub-par for my taste. Bitter and burnt. Staff is efficient...sometimes too efficient. During busy times, multiple staff members are seating guests so you are at risk of losing your seat on your trip up to the buffet. Advice: Bring a newspaper to leave at your seat as a marker.

The room is large and clean. Bed is extremely firm by western standards, but my Chinese counterpart says that it is normal and comfortable by Chinese standards. After the third night, I was used to it and was sufficiently comfortable. If such a firm bed is a problem, the hotel will substitute a softer mattress if requested at time of booking. They did this for my last visit. (Try getting an american hotel to do that...)

Overall, a solid choice to stay at while in the SIP.

Room Tip: Some rooms just have showers, so be sure to ask if you want a tub.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Icarus1900
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here just one night as part of our china tour. The lobby was very grand and we thought it was going to be amazing. Of the four hotels we stayed at in China, this was number 4.
Our first impression of the room was great, it was large, had a couch, swing around TV, large bathroom, fridge and coffee area......and didn't smell smoky.
But a closer look showed it was a little shabby, we could feel holes in the floor under the carpet, the bathroom tub caulking seals were cracked and needed a good soaking in bleach. I like a firm bed, but that bed was absolutely ROCK hard. It was so uncomfortable. In the middle of the night, with my husband laughing at me, I tried to sleep on my pillows for a little cushion. He was trying to figure out how to use the cushions from the couch!!!
I tossed and turned and found myself a few times with pins and needles from the marble slab we felt like we were laying on.
Having said that, another couple on our tour said their room was great, and their bed the most comfortable of their whole tour. So I guess it's just luck!

Room Tip: ask for a bed that is not hard.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KathCA
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at Grand Metro Park in Suzhou as part of the Shanghai - Suzhou - Hangzhou group tour. I was impressed by the hotel. It was nice and clean. The room was large even for 3 persons. The extra bed is comfortable although it's rather small. The room was well kept and had all required amenities. I liked the breakfast buffet. You can choose from both western and oriental dishes. So, in one short sentence, it's beyond my expectation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Bingbongo
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We only stayed one night as part of a tour package, but even in that short time, we found the hotel very nice. The hotel is new and well maintained; the lobby, hallways and rooms were very clean and the rooms themselves were large and had all the necessary amenities. The small shops & convenience stores were quite well stocked with the usual drinks and souvenirs.

The breakfast (our only meal at the hotel) was excellent - lots of choices of both Chinese and western dishes, and all the warm/hot dishes were just that, warm and/or hot as they should be.

Since we were traveling with a group, its hard to comment on location, however Suzhou is fairly new and attractions are reasonably spread out, so I imagine a small amount of taxi/bus travel is required regardless of which hotel you choose.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike427
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I go to China for business every year and since the Grand Metropark was open I only stay there. It is extremely comfortable, the staff is always attentive and speaks good English and the food is excellent. Having stayed at other 5-star hotels in Suzhou, I can tell you this is at the top for amenities and price. I would recommend it to both business travelers as well as tourists.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank SergiuV
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Fantastic, high rise, modern hotel. We even had a clock in our large, luxurious, quiet room. At breakfast we had a choice of western and Chinese food. All service was prompt, appropriate and respectful.

Room Tip: no smoking floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends