“Peaceful!”

Garden Hotel (Daichengqiao Road)
Ranked #17 of 1,434 Hotels in Suzhou
Newcastle
“Peaceful!”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

The first room I was offered was a smoking room. I had specifically requested non-smoking, so I was moved to room 5404 in the main building. It was very quiet, spacious and well appointed, spotlessly clean, with excellent bed linen and towels. However, the bed was rock hard.

There was a deep bath and a separate shower recess. Hanging space was OK but drawer space was limited. The overhead bed lights were excellent, the free wifi was fast, and there were ample power points. The a/c was cold and quiet, with individual controls.

I did find the darkness in the bathroom a little off-putting, the bedroom carpet was badly stained, and I could only locate Chinese channels on the TV. The wall between the bathroom and bedroom was of clear glass - quite odd - but there was a curtain which could be pulled across.

The buffet breakfast was very disappointing compared to the offerings in my hotels in Beijing, Xi’an, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Macau.

I checked out the menus for room service (awful western food), a restaurant in the main building (the same menu) and a Chinese restaurant in Building 2, which I chose for dinner. The food was modest and extremely bland – a dish of button mushrooms sautéed with whole garlic cloves, a “defatted” pork with greens, and steamed rice. I asked for chillies but couldn’t make myself understood. They brought me a can of coke!

The front desk and concierge staff, with a few exceptions, have very little comprehension of English, but were all warm and friendly.

Be warned! If you intend visiting Tongli, the hotel will order a taxi for you (80Y). Getting back from Tongli (20 km) is another matter. I showed a number of taxi drivers the Garden Hotel card and they would not take me back to Suzhou. I ended up trusting a young man who offered me a lift back in his car for 120Y. The car was spotless, had much better air-conditioning than the taxis, and the driver was slow and careful. OK, I took a risk, but I didn’t know how to get back any other way except by shuttle bus (which I couldn’t find) to a major bus station and then a taxi. The staff in the Tourist Information Office at Tongli were gruff and unhelpful.

The best part of my stay was the close proximity of the hotel to the Master of the Nets Garden - just across the road and down a lane.

I was catching the bullet train back to Shanghai, and the concierge told me to allow an hour for the taxi ride because of heavy early morning traffic, so to leave at 6.30am for my 8.13am train. The taxi ride took 10 minutes, and I was stuck in their soulless station for one and a half hours! Again, a difficulty caused, I think, by the low level of English comprehension by most staff.

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Glynis031

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
Reviewed September 25, 2011

The location is good and there is, for example, a good place for noodles across the road from the north gate. The rooms are clean. It is extremely difficult to get a taxi. On the day of my check-out, I waited more than an hour at the lobby waiting. A member of the staff voluntarily went out somewhere to catch one for me ultimately. The hotel advertised day tours at the lobby. I joined one and felt sorry for that. The hotel charged double of what one would pay direct to the tour company. The hotel made some easy money but did not have to be responsible for the itinerary. In fact, two shopping stops each lasting +60 minutes were added to the advertised itinerary which the hotel printed and distributed. The tourists were taken by surprise. One of these shops were well-known for playing tricks to get money from tourists who have no idea of the true value of the merchandise. Well, be aware. If possible, avoid joining the day tours.

Room Tip: Just ask at the reception. If they have one they will allocate it to you.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank hkgus
Andersonville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 24, 2011

This hotel was the nicest I stayed at on my recent visit to China. The room was beautiful, very comfortable bed, lovely modern bathroom and a very nice sitting area in the lobby to have coffee or read the paper. The staff has great trouble with English (quite funny trying to explain that my toilet was clogged one night)! But the staff is extremely friendly and they obviously aim to please your every need. One big tip I want to pass along - please be aware that they place an extremely high deposit on your room. My total bill for 2 rooms, 2 nights was around $300.00 but they placed a $650.00 hold on my credit card. Be aware that your cc company may not be so quick to release the hold even after the hotel voids the deposit back to your card when you check out. I would definitely stay here again however.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed September 22, 2011

we stayed for a short period of time but we already started missing the concept. The design and the rooms were excellent even though we stayed at a non smoking standard room. The only problem is finding taxi in all location.

• Stayed September 2011
Orange, California
Reviewed September 21, 2011

The staff had a little trouble with English but are very accommodating. the rooms are very clean, there is an on-site gym and there are some nice walking areas on-site as well. the restaurant is very tastefully decorated and quiet. The local attractions are only a few minutes walk from the hotel. Take a taki from the ten station as it is less than $3USD.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the street sa hooking the horn is very common...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MasonsDad
England
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay the Hotel was far nicer than we had expected for the money we paid. The room was very nice with a very comfy bed . The location was very good and we visited the net catchers garden that was almost opposite .we did not get time to use the pool but it looked very good.
When we were leaving , the Hotel got us a Taxi which arrived very quickly .We can not praise the staff highly enough, we left our iPad charger in the room and they came to find us at the railway station ,I am sure not many hotels would do this.
I think they definitely deserve 5 stars.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susie P
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed here for a brief trip out of Shanghai last weekend. We booked an Executive Room which was roomy, clean and comfortable. I was a little nervous when I booked this over one of the international 5 star hotels in Suzhou because in my experience Chinese 5 star often falls short of European 3 star standards. But there was nothing to worry about - we had no complaints.

The staff nearly all spoke excellent English so communication is no problem. Next time we are in Suzhou we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family